The Student Room Group

Grade 9 in Maths and A*'s in Sciences GCSE- AMA

As the title says ^^

Scroll to see replies

5 top tips for someone aiming for similar results?
Original post by clouddbubbles
5 top tips for someone aiming for similar results?

- CGP for science
- Flashcards
- Practice for maths
- Switch off social media
- PAST PAPERS!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
What did you get in English? (I'm in a similar position in Maths and Sciences - all 9s at the moment)
could i get a grade 7 in maths still just over 30 days at grade 5/6 ish can get 7-9 in everything else i am willing to put in many hours for maths thanks...
Original post by lion-tiger
- CGP for science
- Flashcards
- Practice for maths
- Switch off social media
- PAST PAPERS!!

CGP is crap, use collins if you want 7/8/9
Original post by ErwinRommel
could i get a grade 7 in maths still just over 30 days at grade 5/6 ish can get 7-9 in everything else i am willing to put in many hours for maths thanks...

of course, i was at a 5 at the beginning of the year but am on a 9 now- if you identify your weaknesses in maths and re learn and practice this content you will do brill :smile:)
Original post by lydiarutharnold
of course, i was at a 5 at the beginning of the year but am on a 9 now- if you identify your weaknesses in maths and re learn and practice this content you will do brill :smile:)

woah thats amazing, thanks let me just put in the work. good luck!
I totally agree with CGP for science. They are vvvv good. 100% recommend!
woah thats amazing, thanks let me just put in the work. good luck!

if you work hard you CAN :smile:
Original post by ReadilySalted
I totally agree with CGP for science. They are vvvv good. 100% recommend!

i would have to disagree, i find the CGP books are too jokey and don’t help me learn, I like the collins textbooks best as they cover everything you need to know and test your knowledge. they ask you questions that challenge you, and exam style questions. you learn the content and how to apply it with collins, that’s why I love it :smile:
i would have to disagree, i find the CGP books are too jokey and don’t help me learn, I like the collins textbooks best as they cover everything you need to know and test your knowledge. they ask you questions that challenge you, and exam style questions. you learn the content and how to apply it with collins, that’s why I love it :smile:

That's totally fine, everyone has different perspectives on revision guides. The jokes actually helped me because they're all unique and when I need to remember something I remember slightly what the joke was on about and it led me to remembering what that page was on about. And on the plus side it doesn't keep you bored and the language in the CGP revision guides is the simplest and doesn't contain irrelevant information. It gets straight to the point. Also he little animations keep you entertained and helps you enjoy your revision. But of course that is my opinion on teh CGP revision guides. :smile:
Original post by ReadilySalted
That's totally fine, everyone has different perspectives on revision guides. The jokes actually helped me because they're all unique and when I need to remember something I remember slightly what the joke was on about and it led me to remembering what that page was on about. And on the plus side it doesn't keep you bored and the language in the CGP revision guides is the simplest and doesn't contain irrelevant information. It gets straight to the point. Also he little animations keep you entertained and helps you enjoy your revision. But of course that is my opinion on teh CGP revision guides. :smile:

that’s fine :smile: i respect your opinion 100%, just love the Collins as it’s condensed and i can learn the content quickly and be tested on it :smile: i used to love the jokes but it just got a bit boring after a while, but that’s just me :smile: they still really help me for english language/lit, i think those are really helpful, but for science it’s not my cup of tea :smile: but that’s fine, we both have different opinions
Original post by ns_2
What did you get in English? (I'm in a similar position in Maths and Sciences - all 9s at the moment)

I got a 7 in eng lang and a 7 in lit

Defo. All you do is get hold of the textbook at first and do all end of chapter tests. There's around 22 if i can remember. See where your weaknesses and work on those from textbook, by understanding and doing questions.Then do all specimen papers from all exam boards. Then do old spec papers, but bear in mind there are changes in the spec.
that’s fine :smile: i respect your opinion 100%, just love the Collins as it’s condensed and i can learn the content quickly and be tested on it :smile: i used to love the jokes but it just got a bit boring after a while, but that’s just me :smile: they still really help me for english language/lit, i think those are really helpful, but for science it’s not my cup of tea :smile: but that’s fine, we both have different opinions

I've personally had the collins rev guides and imo they're too simple. CGP gives you what you need, which is not too simple, but not too much like the textbook. Also papers are more important.
Tips for science (especially the worded questions in physics)
And congrats on your awesome grades! :woo:
Original post by laurawatt
Tips for science (especially the worded questions in physics)

Sciences- Use CGP revision guide and LEARN it. This is done by active recall, such as flashcards, etc. Then do all past papers, old and new spec, to 2001. That's what I did, and similar questions came up.

what do you mean by worded questions? if you mean calculations then you'll practice those in past papers, like which formula to use for the info they give you
AMA thread!!!!

What is the value of

69169r=1n(n1)logn+r1(n+r) dx,n>0,n1\displaystyle\int_{69}^{169} \prod_{r=1}^{n(n-1)}\log_{n+r-1}(n+r)\ dx,n>0,n\neq1
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest