The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hi! I have my to pick my GCSE options in a few days. I really don’t know what to pick. I really enjoy chemistry and biology. I also enjoy essay based subjects such as history. However, I usually do better in geography.

I have to pick between history and geography. My schools hasn’t provided us with the GCSE curriculum and hasn’t really explained what studying the subjects would be like. So, any opinions on what you thought of the subject would be great! As well as what you think would be the most suitable subject for someone like me.

I’m also taking spanish so any revision techniques for learning how to conjugate the tenses would be awesome!

My school has also recently made RE non-compulsory and I’m contemplating if it is worth picking as an option.

Finally, I also need to know what GCSE art would be like, as my art teacher has advised me to pick it, and I will most likely be picking it as I do enjoy it. But I would like to have an idea of what the subject would be like. As I have heard that you have to write about your own artwork and other artists’ besides actually making art.

Scroll to see replies

Re is easy I would recommend picking it over something like art or graphics because the contents not that hard to understand and there’s no coursework so there’s like no pressure until exam season it also really interesting. Outta geo and history I would suggest geo because I’m studying rn and all you need to do is memorise processes and that’s about it and for facts and stuff u can just make them up and get away with it like costs of certain things like dams and reservoirs. Also most people in my school are failing history due to the amount of content they have to study.
Also I currently do gcse art land was told by my teacher to choose it but she flipping lied because even though I’m good at it it’s so time consuming and I absolutely hate it right now. Also in our school r teacher picked the themes for us so we were stuck drawing bugs and I hated it and it’s quite restricted like u can’t really do what u want to do. If anything I would suggest graphics it way less stressful and u get more to do and it’s quite open if u get wt I mean. And the part about writing it legit takes 5 mins in fact that’s the easiest thing there to do 😂😂
Hmj
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jassandhu
Re is easy I would recommend picking it over something like art or graphics because the contents not that hard to understand and there’s no coursework so there’s like no pressure until exam season it also really interesting. Outta geo and history I would suggest geo because I’m studying rn and all you need to do is memorise processes and that’s about it and for facts and stuff u can just make them up and get away with it like costs of certain things like dams and reservoirs. Also most people in my school are failing history due to the amount of content they have to study.

I also enjoy re a lot so I’m probably gonna pick it. And I might as well pick graphics or something over it like you said. It’ll be way less stressful than picking two humanities subjects, which my teachers don’t recommend us doing anyways 🤷
Also I currently do gcse art land was told by my teacher to choose it but she flipping lied because even though I’m good at it it’s so time consuming and I absolutely hate it right now. Also in our school r teacher picked the themes for us so we were stuck drawing bugs and I hated it and it’s quite restricted like u can’t really do what u want to do. If anything I would suggest graphics it way less stressful and u get more to do and it’s quite open if u get wt I mean. And the part about writing it legit takes 5 mins in fact that’s the easiest thing there to do 😂😂

YESS that is not the situation I wanna be in next year so thanks. So I’ll make sure to ask my teachers about the themes or something. And for my exam board it’s 60% coursework. That’s like going sitting in an exam for a whole year. Like that’s just stressful! 🙅*♀️
Yhhh nah and omd lord help you if you fall behind you legit have to pull all nighters to catch up. Also if u do want to do a sub wiv coursework I recommend business bare ppl r getting grade 9s like even the stupid ppl 😂 if I had the chance to go back I would have done that
Also my number one top tip is only do subjects your good at don’t risk it because at the end of the day when u apply for universities they dc what u studied it’s more about the grade u get that matters so if ur good at say idk geo than history just pick geo even if u hate it cuz u just need that grade gurllll and for science I would personally suggest combined because for a level u can still go onto to separate science and it’s less stressful than triple but if u enjoy science would definitely recommend it cuz you do a lot more practical and it’s just so much fun when u have a class full of idiots putting crocodile clips on their tits 😂 any other questions feel free to ask xx
Yhhh nah and omd lord help you if you fall behind you legit have to pull all nighters to catch up. Also if u do want to do a sub wiv coursework I recommend business bare ppl r getting grade 9s like even the stupid ppl 😂 if I had the chance to go back I would have done that

I only have two choices so the struggle is real rn. I might as well pick business as my reserve option. Idk there’s just too many subjects to pick from but they only give us 2 choices. 🤦*♀️
What subjects do they let you do we had like 4 option blocks along wiv English lit/Lang which was compulsory and maths
Reply 10
History's fun. The coursework is less stressful than that of geography.
If you're in year 9, you've probably kind of started the GCSE course already in some of your subjects.
What subjects do they let you do we had like 4 option blocks along wiv English lit/Lang which was compulsory and maths

we have the compulsory subjects as English lit/Lang, maths, science, spanish and we get to pick from tech, ICT, re, art, business and french. I don’t think we can do sociology bcoz everyone who did it flopped apparently. Now that I think about it we don’t even have many subjects oops
Re and business at ur best picks ngl but make sure you check the specs for the exam board because I’m doing aqa but it may be different for other examboard
Original post by Sinnoh
History's fun. The coursework is less stressful than that of geography.
If you're in year 9, you've probably kind of started the GCSE course already in some of your subjects.

YESSS I know that we started the science curriculum but I had no idea we had started the spanish one this year. 😑 And I actually think I don’t have any coursework for history or geography. It’s 100% exam. Maybe it’s bcoz of my exam board or something 🤷*♀️
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by E.ky
YESSS I know that we started the science curriculum but I had no idea we had started the spanish one this year. 😑 And I actually think I don’t have any coursework for history or geography. It’s 100% exam. Maybe it’s bcoz of my exam board or something 🤷*♀️

What exam board do you have for those?
Re and business at ur best picks ngl but make sure you check the specs for the exam board because I’m doing aqa but it may be different for other examboard

YESS omd I think you saved me from 2 years of stress 💁*♀️
lol nw honestly wish I had cross checked I’ve legit got exams in three weeks and I’m low key ******** my pants I legit k nothing if u need any other advice just message me on sc: jazzxoxo523 xx
Also my number one top tip is only do subjects your good at don’t risk it because at the end of the day when u apply for universities they dc what u studied it’s more about the grade u get that matters so if ur good at say idk geo than history just pick geo even if u hate it cuz u just need that grade gurllll and for science I would personally suggest combined because for a level u can still go onto to separate science and it’s less stressful than triple but if u enjoy science would definitely recommend it cuz you do a lot more practical and it’s just so much fun when u have a class full of idiots putting crocodile clips on their tits 😂 any other questions feel free to ask xx

Science practicals with my class are the BEST. But learning about ionic bonds in cheMYSTERY not so much. Hehehehe
lol nw honestly wish I had cross checked I’ve legit got exams in three weeks and I’m low key ******** my pants I legit k nothing if u need any other advice just message me on sc: jazzxoxo523 xx

you’ve just gotta revise revise revise and awe thanks ur so nice
Ahaha ngl that’s easily said than done 😂 nah rip to the time I thought I could get in to medicine 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest