The Student Room Group

Proof question

94.PNG
Can somebody help with part ii) thanks!
Original post by Kalabamboo
94.PNG

Look at your answer to part (a). What sort of numbers must n be in order for you to take a factor of 2 out completely??
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Look at your answer to part (a). What sort of numbers must n be in order for you to take a factor of 2 out completely??

erm odd?:colondollar:

But how can I give a really good explanation to get the marks for this?
(edited 6 years ago)
94.PNG

could I see your part 1?
Reply 4
Original post by brainmaster
could I see your part 1?

3n^2 +6n+5
Reply 5

So Ik it's odd.

The ms version is a bit all over the place
erm odd?:colondollar:

Correct.

One way you could begin by saying since nn is odd then n2n^2 is odd, hence 3n23n^2 is odd. Then logically show that 3n2+6n3n^2+6n is odd, etc...

Alternatively, if nn is odd then it can be written in the form n=2k+1n=2k+1 so substitute that in, expand, and factor out a 2 to show that the result is even.
Correct.

One way you could begin by saying since nn is odd then n2n^2 is odd, hence 3n23n^2 is odd. Then logically show that 3n2+6n3n^2+6n is odd, etc...

Alternatively, if nn is odd then it can be written in the form n=2k+1n=2k+1 so substitute that in, expand, and factor out a 2 to show that the result is even.

what if I said;
let n+1 be an even number where n is an odd number.....so for any odd values of n in the expression 3n^2 + 6n + 5...Will give an even answer... (I also use some odd values in the expression and show my answer).

I know this is very stupid but would it work. I haven't done proofs yet but just curious thanks :smile:
Original post by brainmaster
what if I said;
let n+1 be an even number where n is an odd number.....so for any odd values of n in the expression 3n^2 + 6n + 5...Will give an even answer... (I also use some odd values in the expression and show my answer).

I know this is very stupid but would it work. I haven't done proofs yet but just curious thanks :smile:

No this is does not constitute a proof.

In a general proof like this you need to show logically step-by-step how you arrive at the conclusion that the expression is even when nn is odd. What you've said is basically "So nn is odd hence 3n2+6n+53n^2+6n+5 is even" but where's the convincing part?
Also 'testing out' a few values of nn does not add validity to the proof itself, but it can help you understand it better and generalise on them.
(edited 6 years ago)
No this is does not constitute a proof.

In a general proof like this you need to show logically step-by-step how you arrive at the conclusion that the expression is even when nn is odd. Also 'testing out' a few values of nn does not add validity to the proof itself, but it can help you understand it better and generalise on them.

aha thanks alot :smile:
Correct.

Thanks a lot:smile: so I got the second way : 2(6k^2 +12k +7)
But am stuck on the first way just when you mentioned the logically part:p: since n is odd, n^2 is odd cause odd x odd=odd so 3n^2 is odd cause odd x odd x odd =odd and then ..I got stuck
Original post by MR1999
If n is odd, then how does n+1 being even relate to 3n^2+6n+5 being even? A proof should be written to convince someone who doesn't believe what you're saying, so you have to be very clear in your assertions.

Also, giving some examples is not valid because it only shows that the statement is true for certain values of n, not all values of n.

Yeah I just saw that... thanks buddy
Thanks a lot:smile: so I got the second way : 2(6k^2 +12k +7)
But am stuck on the first way just when you mentioned the logically part:p: since n is odd, n^2 is odd cause odd x odd=odd so 3n^2 is odd cause odd x odd x odd =odd and then ..I got stuck

So, is 6n6n odd or even? Hence is 3n2+6n3n^2 + 6n odd or even? Hence is 3n2+6n+53n^2+6n+5 odd or even?
So, is 6n6n odd or even? Hence is 3n2+6n3n^2 + 6n odd or even? Hence is 3n2+6n+53n^2+6n+5 odd or even?

Oh so you don't have to explain why 6n is even?

I thought you had to do some algebra to prove 6n is even in the answer-so it's not necessary?
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh so you don't have to explain why 6n is even?

Not really, it should be obvious. But you can if you want, it doesn't take much to rewrite it as 2×3n2 \times 3n.
Not really, it should be obvious. But you can if you want, it doesn't take much to rewrite it as 2×3n2 \times 3n.

But then how do you prove 3n?

Apologies if I annoy you:biggrin:

I guess you can't prove 3n right? so 3(odd) x even = even
3(odd) x odd=odd
(edited 6 years ago)
But then how do you prove 3n?

Apologies if I annoy you:biggrin:

Prove what?

All you need to have is that 6n6n is an even number because it two lots of some integer 3n3n.
Prove what?

All you need to have is that 6n6n is an even number because it two lots of some integer 3n3n.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Can also note that you can factorize this as

3*(n+1)2 + 2

which makes the arguments about being odd or even a bit simpler.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think it's equally important to show that the sum is odd when n is even if you want the full marks. (But at the same time I think one line explanations are sufficent).

Quick Reply

Latest