The Student Room Group

Having troubles with finance

Hello,

I have been struggling with my finance for months now, exchanging letters and many phone calls to get it all sorted out. All I needed to provide was residency evidence from 5 years, and I actually did back in September 2017. I did not get notified at all if my finance has been processed or not until January, when my University called in to inform me that the finance has not gone through yet.

I have started to search online (which I should have done back in 2017, only if I knew) and logged in on the Student Finance England just to see that my finance is awaiting evidence. I called them and sent the evidence, and I have checked my finance today just to find out that I am not eligible for a student finance. The not eligible notification appeared after I have sent my bank statements, so I am not sure if it has to do anything with my statements or is it something else.

It is really important for me to get this finance sorted, but each day I am getting more depressed with it and I'm running out of hope that I will ever get it accepted. Right now it's Easter break and I'm not sure if I should go back to study and have more fees on me each day.. some help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Original post by DynastySheep
Hello,

I have been struggling with my finance for months now, exchanging letters and many phone calls to get it all sorted out. All I needed to provide was residency evidence from 5 years, and I actually did back in September 2017. I did not get notified at all if my finance has been processed or not until January, when my University called in to inform me that the finance has not gone through yet.

I have started to search online (which I should have done back in 2017, only if I knew) and logged in on the Student Finance England just to see that my finance is awaiting evidence. I called them and sent the evidence, and I have checked my finance today just to find out that I am not eligible for a student finance. The not eligible notification appeared after I have sent my bank statements, so I am not sure if it has to do anything with my statements or is it something else.

It is really important for me to get this finance sorted, but each day I am getting more depressed with it and I'm running out of hope that I will ever get it accepted. Right now it's Easter break and I'm not sure if I should go back to study and have more fees on me each day.. some help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hopefully someone from SFE will reply soon. In the meantime is it possible for you to get in to your university? The student support/funding team should be able to help you with contacting SFE to understand the decision and what options there are to appeal it. They’ll often be able to ring SFE with you
Hello,

Thanks

Hi Dynastysheep,

I appreciate that you are wishing to have your Student Finance situation resolved. We are unable to discuss specific accounts on The Student Room. I would suggest that you contact us, so that we can discuss your evidence and application.

You can call us on 0300 100 0607 or on Facebook and Twitter and we will be happy to help.

Thanks

Louise
Hello,

Thanks

Hi DynastySheep,

In order to be eligible for support you need to provide residency evidence to cover the full five year residency requirement, up until the first day, of the first academic year of your course.

If there is any gap in the evidence you provide, the assessors will request more evidence to cover a specific period.

When did you send your most recent bank statements?

Depending on the current procesing timescales they may not have been reviewed as yet.

Thanks Rona
So after hard time with resolving the evidence I have received a letter stating that I'm studying for a qualification that is equivalent to or lower than a qualification I already have and I'm not eligible for some aspects of student finance.

I'm not eligible to receive:
- Fee Support
- Maintenance Loan
- Maintenance Grant
- Special Support Grant

Why do I just found about it now and not at the start of applying for my course that I will not be eligible to receive full loan to cover my studying costs?
How will I pay for my course when I have low income and didn't save up to pay 7K right away?
(edited 5 years ago)
So after hard time with resolving the evidence I have received a letter stating that I'm studying for a qualification that is equivalent to or lower than a qualification I already have and I'm not eligible for some aspects of student finance.

I'm not eligible to receive:
- Fee Support
- Maintenance Loan
- Maintenance Grant
- Special Support Grant

Why do I just found about it now and not at the start of applying for my course that I will not be eligible to receive full loan to cover my studying costs?
How will I pay for my course when I have low income and didn't save up to pay 7K right away?

I will have to consider writing a complaint to student finance for not notifying me of my student finance eligibility at the start of my study year. Finding out right now after finally resolving the residency issue is a big shock as they knew the circumstances all year long.

You didn't mention above that you already hold a degree? Student Finance are pretty clear in all their information that they only fund a second degree for some specific subjects.

I'm afraid you'll either need to take a gap year to save up or talk to your university to find out if they know of any alternative sources of funding.
Original post by PQ
You didn't mention above that you already hold a degree? Student Finance are pretty clear in all their information that they only fund a second degree for some specific subjects.

I'm afraid you'll either need to take a gap year to save up or talk to your university to find out if they know of any alternative sources of funding.

I'm reading this letter again and again and it doesn't include 'Tuition Fee Loan' but it has the 'Fee Support'. This means that my tuition as in 'Tuition Fee Loan' will be covered right? All I need is my course to be fully paid and I'm getting confused about the Fee Support if it includes the tuition fee or not.
Hi DynastySheep,

Have you received your Notification of Entitlement Letter? On the Letter it will tell you if we're paying the university your Tuition Fees or not. If your still unsure, it would be best to call us on 0300 100 0607 and we can check this for you.
Thanks Claire

Quick Reply

Latest