The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm just going to post this here, because it seems a bit mythoologicalised

Imperial do not even look at GCSE grades. AAA predictions is all you need along with a good BMAT, higher does not give advantage - offer will likely be A*AA

Cambridge don't particularly care either about GCSEs. The average medic has 9A* but....

a) to get 6s on the BMAT science section, you need a strong grasp of GCSE - you don't necessarily need good grades to, just make sure you revise beforehand
b) People who achieve A*A*A usually have about 8A* grades at GCSE anyway (this is an estimate based on the typical person getting AAA at A Level has 6A* at GCSE).
c) large private school intake*

*You will probably need higher predictions/AS grades (if offered) than state schools, given that it'll be easier for you to achieve them.

Oxford weigh BMAT and GCSEs in a 1:1 ratio for shortlisting - GCSEs are critical here. Having all A* or all A* apart from one or two subjects is realistically needed to get interviewed. In the subjects that you don't have an A* in, an A and a U is considered the same by the system - as it considers total number of A* and proportion of A*. Good BMAT obviously needed here too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I'm just going to post this here, because it seems a bit mythoologicalised

Imperial do not even look at GCSE grades. AAA predictions is all you need along with a good BMAT, higher does not give advantage - offer will likely be A*AA

Cambridge don't particularly care either about GCSEs. The average medic has 9A* but....

a) to get 6s on the BMAT science section, you need a strong grasp of GCSE - you don't necessarily need good grades to, just make sure you revise beforehand
b) People who achieve A*A*A usually have about 8A* grades at GCSE anyway (this is an estimate based on the typical person getting AAA at A Level has 6A* at GCSE).
c) large private school intake*

*You will probably need higher predictions/AS grades (if offered) than state schools, given that it'll be easier for you to achieve them.

Oxford weight BMAT and GCSEs in a 1:1 ratio for shortlisting - GCSEs are critical here. Having all A* or all A* apart from one or two subjects is realistically needed to get interviewed. In the subjects that you don't have an A* in, an A and a U is considered the same by the system - as it considers total number of A* and proportion of A*. Good BMAT obviously needed here too.

Wait so do Cambridge have a higher private intake than Oxford?
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Wait so do Cambridge have a higher private intake than Oxford?

No, Oxford does, but they're not far apart.

Imperial, Ox and Camb have a private intake of ~35-40%. Quite high when you consider private students make up 16% of students. That's the average for the uni - idk if it's higher for med

They will consider your results relative to your school (Oxford and Cambridge), so you will probably need to perform better than average to even it out if you go to an elite school
(edited 6 years ago)
You guys all have amazing stats!mine are:GCSEs: 3A* 5A 1BA LEVELS: BIOLOGY CHEMISTRY MATHEMATICSPREDICTED: A*A*AI think ill get my predicted grades with good effortI hope to apply to Imperial, UCL, Glasgow and NottinghamSo far Iv'e done 2 days shadowing a consultant, am about to start volunteering at a cancer care home, and currently volunteer at my local hospital on an old peoples ward. I hope to get some more experience with the same consultant in the summer before I apply.
What you got for GCSES: 9A*s (7A*s, a 9 and an 8) and a 7 (ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!)
What you've taken at A-level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RS
Predicted (A2 not AS) grades: Not been predicted
What grades you think you'll get: Hoping at least A*AAA, but I know if I push myself I can get A*A*A*A*
Which University you wish to receive an offer from: Anywhere, really, but Oxbridge is the dream, not anywhere in London though (too expensive)
What work experience do you currently do: Volunteer at care home since November 20166, week's work experience at a pharmacy, week at GE Healthcare (both last year), two and half weeks work experience (in A&E and Anaesthetics) in the summer and hoping to start volunteering at the Epilepsy Society after end of years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 85
Guys you NEED to see TheImperialMedic on YouTube. His channel will be so motivating 👌
Hi!

1. GCSEs= 9A*s 2As
2. A2 subjects= Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths
3. haven't been given my predicted grades, but expecting 2A*s and 2As
4. hope to get 2A*s and 2As
5. Cambridge, but if not then Edinburgh or Imperial
6. The only work exp. I've done is 1 week shadowing a radiologist, but have already arranged a term in a care home (still need to get GP, etc.)
Is 1 week work exp enough?
Reply 88
Medical schools are more concerned about what you've learnt from your work experience rather than "is it enough".

If you've done a lot of relevant volunteering in a care home etc. In combination and you can't get any more work experience then I wouldn't worry too much about it. However I would recommend getting a few days shadowing at a GP surgery or maybe something else. The more you have the more you'll understand what it is like to be a doctor and work in healthcare. This will prove invaluable in making a first impression to the unis and will help you immensely with medical interviews.

At my Oxford interview I wasn't asked once about my work experience.
Original post by Ecds
Medical schools are more concerned about what you've learnt from your work experience rather than "is it enough".

If you've done a lot of relevant volunteering in a care home etc. In combination and you can't get any more work experience then I wouldn't worry too much about it. However I would recommend getting a few days shadowing at a GP surgery or maybe something else. The more you have the more you'll understand what it is like to be a doctor and work in healthcare. This will prove invaluable in making a first impression to the unis and will help you immensely with medical interviews.

At my Oxford interview I wasn't asked once about my work experience.

yep, thanks mate. I've only managed to get a week (haven't done it yet) but I've done volunteering as well.
Reply 90
Original post by Phteven
4th year medical student at Imperial. @ me if you need any advice. Good luck!

Not applying for the 2019 admission but the 2020. Just like to ask : what should the minimum number of hours of volunteer work I should be doing and is doing an epq encouraged? I haven’t started a levels yet but just finished my igcses 6A* 1A. Still thinking between biomedical sciences and medicine

(Deepest apologies for writing this in the thread, I know it’s totally irrelevant, sorryyyy)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
No, Oxford does, but they're not far apart.

Imperial, Ox and Camb have a private intake of ~35-40%. Quite high when you consider private students make up 16% of students. That's the average for the uni - idk if it's higher for med

Its actually lower than average for medicine (at Oxford anyway) at 36%. That compares to 29% for all med schools in England.
Original post by nexttime
Its actually lower than average for medicine (at Oxford anyway) at 36%. That compares to 29% for all med schools in England.

Interesting
Original post by username3709976
7A*s, A, 2Bs, C (Bs in creative subjects) still the best in my old school:wink:
Bio chem maths and EPQ
expected grades based on GCSE are AAAA - have not got predictions
I want to get A*, A*, A* (EPQ), A minimum
Oxford on Cambridge still don't know, i really like Homerton College in Cambridge, UCL, imperial or Kings College London
2 week at GP, going to volunteer at pharmacy and care home and hopefully get a hospital placement for easter

I know this was not a question but i really wanna move out for uni but my parents are not agreeing to it. IDK how i can convince them because i want my independence, part of the reason i am keen on oxbridge and higher unis so they will allow me to move out if i get a place at the world's best unis. i still don't know if i will ever get this. Reply with any advice or if you have similar story.:s-smilie:

I completely understand, as my parents also disagree with me leaving home to go to university, but I really want to get some independence. London universities really appeal to me -especially imperial- but I think that even if I somehow convince them, it would be unfair to make them pay an additional £9000 so I can live there.
I’m in year 12, and I study chemistry, biology, maths and French.
My expected grades based on GCSE are AAAA
I got 8 A*’s, one 9, two 8’s and an A at GCSE
I also considered oxbridge, but I very much doubt I will get in
Original post by mtyt
Not applying for the 2019 admission but the 2020. Just like to ask : what should the minimum number of hours of volunteer work I should be doing and is doing an epq encouraged? I haven’t started a levels yet but just finished my igcses 6A* 1A. Still thinking between biomedical sciences and medicine

(Deepest apologies for writing this in the thread, I know it’s totally irrelevant, sorryyyy)

It's not about how much work experience you do, it's about how much you reflect on it and use it to justify your decision to pursue medicine as a career. I'd definitely advise you to get some hospital work experience and something in a research environment so you can compare between the two, which will help in deciding between MBBS and BMB and show that you made a conscious effort to find out which one you preferred. If you can't find hospital stuff, remember you can do GPs or care homes too. Also remember that we are an MBBS BSc course, so you will get subjected to lots of opportunities to do research on either - Imperial is an international hub of excellence in research.

I did an EPQ - not sure it contributed anything to my Imperial application. It certainly doesn't factor into your shortlisting for MBBS: that is on your BMAT and if you meet the minimum academic criteria alone. If you have something you're interested in and have the time to fit it in alongside the rest of your studies then why not? Just don't sacrifice getting the A*AA.
Reply 95
Original post by Phteven
It's not about how much work experience you do, it's about how much you reflect on it and use it to justify your decision to pursue medicine as a career. I'd definitely advise you to get some hospital work experience and something in a research environment so you can compare between the two, which will help in deciding between MBBS and BMB and show that you made a conscious effort to find out which one you preferred. If you can't find hospital stuff, remember you can do GPs or care homes too. Also remember that we are an MBBS BSc course, so you will get subjected to lots of opportunities to do research on either - Imperial is an international hub of excellence in research.

I did an EPQ - not sure it contributed anything to my Imperial application. It certainly doesn't factor into your shortlisting for MBBS: that is on your BMAT and if you meet the minimum academic criteria alone. If you have something you're interested in and have the time to fit it in alongside the rest of your studies then why not? Just don't sacrifice getting the A*AA.

I'm an international applicant and from where I come from in Asia, it is quite hard to acquire work experience in a research environment. Do you have any books that you could recommend me to read which really further solidified your decision to apply for medicine? Are there any books that any of your friends who are doing biomed could recommend me to read (if it isn't too much trouble) which could give a little insight on what biomed is really like? Also, am I lacking for the number of A*s for my IGCSEs for medicine? (Because I feel like I am, my school only offered 7 subjects)

I do understand that both medicine and biomed are relatively flexible courses, but I want to spend the rest of my life focused on being either a research scientist or a doctor, and not both.

Thanks for helping out a confused teenager (-:
As it’s now nearing the time to start thinking about the UKCAT and the BMAT, I’m struggling to decide whether I should take the BMAT in September as I’ll know my score and whether I’ll have a chance at IMPERIAL.

For my GCSE’s ..
11A*’s (one 9 in English lit and two 8’s in English Lang and maths) and one A(in physics)
I don’t have my official A2 predictions yet, but based on my GCSE’s I’m predicted AAAA
My A-Levels have been much harder than expected, so I’m not sure on what’s predicted grades will be, but part of me is hopeful.
I understand that if I do the BMAT IN SEPTEMBER than I won’t be able to apply to Oxford, but my chances of getting to a uni like that are extremely minimal anyways. But I’m still undecided on what I should do
Original post by sarah_al21
As it’s now nearing the time to start thinking about the UKCAT and the BMAT, I’m struggling to decide whether I should take the BMAT in September as I’ll know my score and whether I’ll have a chance at IMPERIAL.

For my GCSE’s ..
11A*’s (one 9 in English lit and two 8’s in English Lang and maths) and one A(in physics)
I don’t have my official A2 predictions yet, but based on my GCSE’s I’m predicted AAAA
My A-Levels have been much harder than expected, so I’m not sure on what’s predicted grades will be, but part of me is hopeful.
I understand that if I do the BMAT IN SEPTEMBER than I won’t be able to apply to Oxford, but my chances of getting to a uni like that are extremely minimal anyways. But I’m still undecided on what I should do

no harm in applying, you've got to be in it to win it, and you have the GCSE's
Original post by sarah_al21

For my GCSE’s ..

Imperial do not consider GCSE grades - if you don't meet the cutoffs, you will be rejected regardless of how good the rest of your application is

UCL is probably a safer option as of now, but it's best to make your final decision after you get your BMAT results

Oxford can change their policy, and your chance of getting in is high if you can get 6,6,4A in the BMAT

Latest

Trending

Trending