The Student Room Group

Is there any way to study medicine without chemistry a level?

I really hate chemistry but I've always wanted to study medicine. Is there any other way around it or any universities that allow this to happen.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no thats the one most important a level for medicine
What other subjects are you going to take? It is possible to do medicines without chemistry but it’s highly likely this would have to be through a foundation year (so you will have to do an extra year of university), just research the different foundation years unis offer and see if you’re eligible.
Original post by rumana098
I really hate chemistry but I've always wanted to study medicine. Is there any other way around it or any universities that allow this to happen.

There are some medical schools which do not require A level chemistry (six in total I believe) but you need to be aware that not having chemistry A level would significantly restrict the range of medical schools which you would be able to consider applying to.
There are 6 that do. I hate chemistry too and I really want to do medicine so I'm hoping that one of the 6 will accept me. But it is better to do it. The question I'm asking myself (year 11) is "is doing 2 years of Chemistry A-Level and going through all that s**t worth it to do the job I love?" And I'm really thinking hard on that question.
And also the Chem content of a degree would be quite high so you'd end up studying it at uni anyway...if you can't stand chem then medicine's probably not for you
Original post by cazzers123
And also the Chem content of a degree would be quite high so you'd end up studying it at uni anyway...if you can't stand chem then medicine's probably not for you

There's pretty much no pure chemistry in a medical degree - it's just a rather random entry requirement.
Reply 7

Nope barely any

tbh the only reason the course requires chemistry is because its seen as the hardest science so it shows you're capable of studying medicine
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
There are 6 that do. I hate chemistry too and I really want to do medicine so I'm hoping that one of the 6 will accept me. But it is better to do it. The question I'm asking myself (year 11) is "is doing 2 years of Chemistry A-Level and going through all that s**t worth it to do the job I love?" And I'm really thinking hard on that question.

yess same urgh idk what to choose for a level
Reply 10
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish

You're going to go through a lot more years of a lot worse bull*** than Chemistry A level if you do medicine tbh
Original post by Ghotay
You're going to go through a lot more years of a lot worse bull*** than Chemistry A level if you do medicine tbh

:frown:
yess same urgh idk what to choose for a level

I'm doing Biology, Maths, Further Maths, and then I'm choosing between Spanish and Chemistry.
I'm either going to do Radiology or Optometry.
no chance you've got to take it
You need to be able to apply ur knowledge to diff situations, and that's what Chem and Med require
because memorising anyone can do
Original post by ahlaladolly
no chance you've got to take it
You need to be able to apply ur knowledge to diff situations, and that's what Chem and Med require
because memorising anyone can do

Pretty sure I had more application questions in my biology A Level than my chemistry A Level exams 🤔
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Pretty sure I had more application questions in my biology A Level than my chemistry A Level exams 🤔

Ahaha you've got application in bio too, but like Chem is more ygm?
Are you studying Med at uni?
I'm in A2 atm so hopefully get the grades to study Med

If you hate chemistry you will NEVER be a doctor, so do not waste your time applying to medical school, I promise you, you will not be able to complete the degree.
Original post by ahlaladolly
Ahaha you've got application in bio too, but like Chem is more ygm?
Are you studying Med at uni?
I'm in A2 atm so hopefully get the grades to study Med

Don't you have application questions in biology? I thought all the new specs definitely had to have them.
I actually found chemistry easier than biology (in terms of how to manage the content for exams) lol

Not medicine, but a similar course that also requires the two subjects
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Don't you have application questions in biology? I thought all the new specs definitely had to have them.
I actually found chemistry easier than biology (in terms of how to manage the content for exams) lol

Not medicine, but a similar course that also requires the two subjects

Yeah there's a bit more application ahaha but Chem is more
Ah yeah I love Chem, I find it relaxing lol
Nice ahaha
Reply 19
Original post by Dignifieddeath
If you hate chemistry you will NEVER be a doctor, so do not waste your time applying to medical school, I promise you, you will not be able to complete the degree.

Lol ********, you don't need to like chemistry, as with most things it's a hoop you have to jump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending