The Student Room Group

Gap year before apprenticeship?

I am 18 and about to complete my engineering BTEC course but am unsure what I want to do with my life and have decided to take a gap year and work to get some money whilst I think about if I want an appreticeship or go to uni. If i take a gap year will I be at a disadvantage when applying for apprenticeships because I would be 19 by this time next year and wouldnt be gaining any engineering experience whilst on my gap year?
Can you not do apprenticeship for that one year and during that year u can decide whether u like it or not and if u don’t go uni
Original post by yngswtchbld
I am 18 and about to complete my engineering BTEC course but am unsure what I want to do with my life and have decided to take a gap year and work to get some money whilst I think about if I want an appreticeship or go to uni. If i take a gap year will I be at a disadvantage when applying for apprenticeships because I would be 19 by this time next year and wouldnt be gaining any engineering experience whilst on my gap year?

Hi there,

A gap year sounds exciting!

You can still do an apprenticeship at 19, you can start an apprenticeship at any age and most apprenticeship schemes you dont need experience as the apprenticeship should provide you with that.

However, apprenticeships can take up to 8 months for you to be hired and in the job role, so be aware of that whilst on your gap year, you may want to start looking at what's available just before your gap year ends.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mantekes
Can you not do apprenticeship for that one year and during that year u can decide whether u like it or not and if u don’t go uni

Im not sure what I want to do as a career and I wanted to take a year to to figure out what I wanted to do
Reply 4
Original post by Apprenticeships Advice
Hi there,

A gap year sounds exciting!

You can still do an apprenticeship at 19, you can start an apprenticeship at any age and most apprenticeship schemes you dont need experience as the apprenticeship should provide you with that.

However, apprenticeships can take up to 8 months for you to be hired and in the job role, so be aware of that whilst on your gap year, you may want to start looking at what's available just before your gap year ends.

Hope this helps:smile:

Thanks
Reply 5
Hi, I am in the same situation and want to know about what you ended up doing

Quick Reply

Latest