The Student Room Group

Robert Walker Essay Prize 2018

Is anyone else taking part? If so how are you finding it ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by studyboi21
Is anyone else taking part? If so how are you finding it ?

i'm finding it really hard. Not sure if we're meant to evaluate the laws already in place... or talk about instances for and against. Please help!
Reply 2
Original post by arvana29
i'm finding it really hard. Not sure if we're meant to evaluate the laws already in place... or talk about instances for and against. Please help!

yeah neither honestly. I kind of strayed away from evaluating current laws :') are you planning to apply to Cambridge?
Reply 3
Yeah!! Not trinity specifically, well I’m not so sure yet, but Cambridge definitely. Maybe it’s useful to just express what the law can/can’t do and then give real life examples? I’m done with my research, just about to finish my first essay! Can you please give me some tips?
Reply 4
Not sure I can give you much help haaha, I'm worried mines not very academic. I considered sort of the main issues with social media and then considered whether the law could effectively regulate them.
Reply 5
you're welcome to message me if you want to talk more about it!
I just gave mine in today. How long was yours? Mine was around 1965 words with footnotes attached. Are you guys applying as international or UK based applicants?
Reply 7
Original post by chen123456
I just gave mine in today. How long was yours? Mine was around 1965 words with footnotes attached. Are you guys applying as international or UK based applicants?

UK based. Did you say it could or could not effectively regulate?
UK based. Did you say it could or could not effectively regulate?

I said that it should be regulated but as of now it cannot be effectively regulated. What about you?
Reply 9
I said that it should be regulated but as of now it cannot be effectively regulated. What about you?

same lool, I would quite like to do well so i'm a bit nervous
same lool, I would quite like to do well so i'm a bit nervous

Same, I'm really nervous about it. :frown: The results will be announced in June right?
Reply 11
Same, I'm really nervous about it. :frown: The results will be announced in June right?

haha how much do you quote and support with evidence ?
Just handed mine in. Basically said it should but currently can't then gave some policy reccomendations. How long did you guys spend on yours
I submitted mine at 11:50pm.. not sure when the deadline is but if it was BY monday then woah I cut it close..
How did you guys structure it? Personally I feel like my essay does not have very much law in it.

I put off homework to finish it tonight but I feel like I’ll get nothing; I read all the previous threads and usually there are just over 100 applicants. At least we find out the result regardless of whether we are successful or not.
haha how much do you quote and support with evidence ?

Most of my points had citations and statistics behind it, it was around 11 footnotes altogether.
Original post by Lechatn0ir
How did you guys structure it? Personally I feel like my essay does not have very much law in it.

I put off homework to finish it tonight but I feel like I’ll get nothing; I read all the previous threads and usually there are just over 100 applicants. At least we find out the result regardless of whether we are successful or not.

I did my introduction, and I focused my paragraphs on hate crime, indoctrination and freedom of speech and expression. In it I labelled and discussed the law and how it will/will not be effective and I gave real life scenarios of it happening etc. What about you?
(edited 5 years ago)
I did my introduction, and I focused my paragraphs on hate crime, indoctrination and freedom of speech and expression. In it I labelled and discussed the law and how it will/will not be effective and I gave real life scenarios of it happening etc. What about you?

I talked more generally around the challenges that social media poses which make it especially hard to regulate. Then I outlined how the law is regulating them at the moment but how it might be unable to do so in the future. My penultimate parag was focused on the ‘should it’ question but it was so long.

Are you entering in the UK division as well?
I talked more generally around the challenges that social media poses which make it especially hard to regulate. Then I outlined how the law is regulating them at the moment but how it might be unable to do so in the future. My penultimate parag was focused on the ‘should it’ question but it was so long.

I'm entering the international division.
Reply 19
Ah Okay sort of like mine, I didn't focus much on current laws however. Yeah I am planning to hand it in tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending