The Student Room Group

How bad does an undergraduate dissertation have to be to fail?

Have submitted mine and, as like everybody, am a little nervous about the result!

One thing that popped into my mind is how bad a dissertation actually has to be in order to get below 40%. I don't believe I will actually get below that or anything, and would be extremely disappointed if I got below 50, but does anyone have any ideas what actually is deemed bad enough to fail?

Would it be stuff as noticeable as nowhere near the word count? Or could it fail on more small-scale matters?
Have you looked at the mark scheme?

For my uni, as I assume most others, to fail means you haven't done the work. So unfinished dissertations or very poorly written.
Original post by LeaX
Have you looked at the mark scheme?

For my uni, as I assume most others, to fail means you haven't done the work. So unfinished dissertations or very poorly written.

I can't actually find a detailed one. The only marking scheme I've been able to find explains how to get a first, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd. It doesn't actually state the standard of a failed essay.
Original post by DavdWalton1997
Have submitted mine and, as like everybody, am a little nervous about the result!

One thing that popped into my mind is how bad a dissertation actually has to be in order to get below 40%. I don't believe I will actually get below that or anything, and would be extremely disappointed if I got below 50, but does anyone have any ideas what actually is deemed bad enough to fail?

Would it be stuff as noticeable as nowhere near the word count? Or could it fail on more small-scale matters?

there are many things that could cause you to fail your right being way below the word count might cause you to loose marks most unis will be quite fair giving you 100 word leeway each way so if you have a 10,000 word word count and your dissertation is say 9,900 or 10,100 that wouldn't be a problem. However i have herd from some people some unis can be a bit harsh about it and give you zero if it's not dead on the word count because you haven't said enough or you've said too much and are waffling.

other things will also cause you to loose marks are:

Missing sections like a project plan if it's not there it can't be marked.

Poor layout while it may all be there if it dosen't flow you'll be marked down because it's hard to read i mean you wouldn't put a conclusion before your results would you.

Excessive mistakes a couple of typos are fine and to be expected but if you have lots it indicates a lack or attention to detail or proof reading and again ca loose you marks.

Lack of technical terms or methods it basically indicates a lack of knowledge which of course is what you being tested on.

lack of detail see above

Poor referencing make sure you use a recognised method.

Plagersim Well you know.

That's just off the top of my head there are lots of things that can trip you up but most can be avoided and are avoided by most students.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
there are many things that could cause you to fail your right being way below the word count might cause you to loose marks most unis will be quite fair giving you 10% each way so if you have a 10,000 word word count and your dissertation is say 9,900 or 10,100 that wouldn't be a problem. However i have herd from some people some unis can be a bit harsh about it and give you zero if it's not dead on the word count because you haven't said enough or you've said too much and are waffling.

other things will also cause you to loose marks are:

Missing sections like a project plan if it's not there it can't be marked.

Poor layout while it may all be there if it dosen't flow you'll be marked down because it's hard to read i mean you wouldn't put a conclusion before your results would you.

Excessive mistakes a couple of typos are fine and to be expected but if you have lots it indicates a lack or attention to detail or proof reading and again ca loose you marks.

Lack of technical terms or methods it basically indicates a lack of knowledge which of course is what you being tested on.

lack of detail see above

Poor referencing make sure you use a recognised method.

Plagersim Well you know.

That's just off the top of my head there are lots of things that can trip ou up but most can be avoided and are avoided by most students.

10% of 10000 is 1000. Not 100.

Do u even math?
Original post by NonIndigenous
10% of 10000 is 1000. Not 100.

Do u even math?

Dow right you are i should have said a 100 word leeway. I've changed it now are you happy.

Do I even maths? Well as you brought it up I actually happen to have dyscalculia.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
Dow right you are i should have said a 100 word leeway. I've changed it now are you happy.

Do i even math? well as you brought it up i actually happen to have dyscalculia.

lol very happy. I've finally found my purpose in life. I feel reborn.
Original post by NonIndigenous
lol very happy. I've finally found my purpose in life. I feel reborn.

lol
I can't actually find a detailed one. The only marking scheme I've been able to find explains how to get a first, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd. It doesn't actually state the standard of a failed essay.

Why would it need to state it explicitly? If it doesn't meet the criteria for a 3rd/Pass then it's a fail...

So you've handed in your dissertation but haven't checked the mark scheme?
Original post by Duncan2012
Why would it need to state it explicitly? If it doesn't meet the criteria for a 3rd/Pass then it's a fail...

So you've handed in your dissertation but haven't checked the mark scheme?

No, you quite clearly haven't read what I've said.

I stated that I have checked our marking scheme, but it wasn't particularly detailed. It didn't state what is cause to fail a dissertation either.
This will depend heavily on your department's guidelines for marking and your supervisor and second assessor, some will be a lot more generous than others and so it's quite difficult to give any good advice on this.

I would say given the amount of supervision and feedback you should have gotten for a final year project, you should have a pretty good idea already what kind of mark you will get (unless your second assessor is rather unkind and your supervisor is the opposite). If you don't already have a good idea then you're probably not going to do that well, emphasis on probably.

For word count specifically, I would say don't go below, they should give you a range that it should be in and if it's not in that range then you may have problems. It's ok to go above if it's a high word count dissertation, say 30+ pages is expected, but if it's a lower count one e.g. 10 pages then I would try to avoid going over and you should just stick a lot in the appendix instead.
Reply 12
Check this marking scheme from my uni which I used for marking:

https://portal.uea.ac.uk/documents/6207125/8551351/senate-scale-classifications-dissertations.pdf/bf22ee32-b9d0-4ebf-8fee-bc488cffb2a7

I'm pretty sure the overall idea is quite similar across the unis.
I got 42% in my first draft.

Scared the poop out of me.

I worked my butt off with around 300 hours of time spent on it...

And ended up with 82% as my final mark :biggrin:
Reply 14

Should be a detailed mark scheme in your module handbook, which should also set out what they expect from the dissertation. Ours includes things like poor arcticulation of scientific content, poor justifaction or lack of understanding of methodology etc.

It is actually hard to get a 40 on a dissertation if you actually did some research, wrote to the best of your ability, and didn't leave it last minute. At best, the lowest you could get is a 2:2. Basically, to get a 40 or a fail, you will have had to not have done any work throughout the year on your dissertation and just wrote it all at the last minute.
I stated that I have checked our marking scheme, but it wasn't particularly detailed. It didn't state what is cause to fail a dissertation either.

It tells you what's needed to pass, so if you don't meet that level then it's a fail, don't you think?
Original post by Duncan2012
It tells you what's needed to pass, so if you don't meet that level then it's a fail, don't you think?

In theory, yes, but if you read it it's not as black and white as that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending