The Student Room Group

Should I work or go to uni?

I want to work on cruise ships. Was bored this morning and sent the company a Twitter message to ask about what age I am allowed to apply at. As they are an American company, I feared that I would need to wait until 21, but they said 18.

I am 16 at the moment and will be finished with school next year. I don't turn 18 until November, so probably would need to find something to do for 6 months, but that isn't the issue.

I go to a private school, and it seems as if everyone expects me to go to university. Whilst the idea of a degree sounds appealing, the prospect of being in further education and a very self-dependent learning style just doesn't sound at all fun. They would be disappointed in me if they found out what I wanted to do. I probably would run out and message them 24 hours later from the ship.

Should I follow my passion or just spend those 4 years at uni?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
I want to work on cruise ships. Was bored this morning and sent the company a Twitter message to ask about what age I am allowed to apply at. As they are an American company, I feared that I would need to wait until 21, but they said 18.

I am 16 at the moment and will be finished with school next year. I don't turn 18 until November, so probably would need to find something to do for 6 months, but that isn't the issue.

I go to a private school, and it seems as if everyone expects me to go to university. Whilst the idea of a degree sounds appealing, the prospect of being in further education and a very self-dependent learning style just doesn't sound at all fun. They would be disappointed in me if they found out what I wanted to do. I probably would run out and message them 24 hours later from the ship.

Only go to uni because you want to. Not because everyone else is. You don't need to go to uni at 18. In fact, you don't need to go at all if you're happy working on cruise ships.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Only go to uni because you want to. Not because everyone else is. You don't need to go to uni at 18. In fact, you don't need to go at all if you're happy working on cruise ships.

I don't need to go, but people seem to expect me to because I go to a private school.
I'm passionate about this cruise ship job, and it is what I really want. Knowing that I can do it at 18 is more appealing than the prospect of spending years at uni doing something I don't like.
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you the “I hate Scotland” guy? You clearly have your heart set on cruise ships, so take a gap year and go for it! Sadly, I suspect you’ll soon get fed up of people treating you like a slave and rethink your ambitions, but you won’t know til you try. If it doesn’t work out, you can go to uni in a year or two.
Original post by Citizenofpanem
Are you the “I hate Scotland” guy? You clearly have your heart set on cruise ships, so take a gap year and go for it! Sadly, I suspect you’ll soon get fed up of people treating you like a slave and rethink your ambitions, but you won’t know til you try. If it doesn’t work out, you can go to uni in a year or two.

I know the position well. It is hosting activities and participating in shows and parties. They are said to have the fun job on the ship.

Now, if you are in housekeeping, it is a bit different...
Original post by Joe2001
I know the position well. It is hosting activities and participating in shows and parties. They are said to have the fun job on the ship.

Now, if you are in housekeeping, it is a bit different...

My concern is that many people who take cruises are extremely wealthy, and *some* (not all) will look down on you and treat you like a skivvy. When I worked in retail, some people would treat me like total scum. But like I already said, go for it. You don’t know til you try...
Original post by Citizenofpanem
My concern is that many people who take cruises are extremely wealthy, and *some* (not all) will look down on you and treat you like a skivvy. When I worked in retail, some people would treat me like total scum. But like I already said, go for it. You don’t know til you try...

Most people in my position are from Western counties. In any job, you will encounter rude customers, but everyone who does this job seems to love it.
Anyone got some more advice? I can't help but think that people will disapprove of it. I don't like the sound of uni or a regular job.
Would anyone argue that uni is worth going to? I hate this expectation that I should go. I am over education now and staying at home will do me no favours.
Reply 9
Original post by Joe2001

There is nothing to stop you going to university in the future - going without proper motivation can be a bit of a disaster and remove the chance to go in the future if there is something you really want to study. Seriously - a couple of years on cruise ships can be great. You will meet loads of people and get some idea of what to do in the future.
Original post by Joe2001

Follow your passion. Simple.
Original post by ajj2000
There is nothing to stop you going to university in the future - going without proper motivation can be a bit of a disaster and remove the chance to go in the future if there is something you really want to study. Seriously - a couple of years on cruise ships can be great. You will meet loads of people and get some idea of what to do in the future.

I actually want to work on ships as a longterm career, as there is a particular position that I want which requires a couple of promotions.
Original post by Joe2001
I actually want to work on ships as a longterm career, as there is a particular position that I want which requires a couple of promotions.

Hey - cool. So get a job and take it from there. If you decide you want to take a degree in the future the option is still there. You haven't lost anything (yet) by not going to university.
Original post by Joe2001

if your a guy actually do something, if your a women its time to get back to the kitchen
Original post by jihadijohnson1
if your a guy actually do something, if your a women its time to get back to the kitchen

I'm a guy, but that is very sexist.
Why not take a gap year and see how it goes :smile: I’m 19 next month and going to University in September. Sixth form absolutely drained me so I needed a break from education so I’ve just been working full time for nearly a year and now I actually am going to University what I wanted to do last year has completely changed. We’re under the impression we need to pick what we want to do right this second but we don’t, some people go to University when they are in their 40’s! Don’t think about it too much - everything will fall into place for you :smile:
Would love to call this metal hunk my home for 7 months. This is where I feel that I belong.
Original post by Joe2001

Hey,
I'm a BU student so I may be able to give a certain perspective on your worry. Although it's difficult to do this, I honestly wouldn't worry what others expect from you - I know that's easy to say but its your career path at the end of the day. Have you looked to see if there are any courses that would perhaps integrate both options where you could go to uni but also secure a work placement with a cruise ship? Perhaps a hospitality degree? It depends on what sort of work you are interested in doing on the cruise ship. Perhaps email the cruise ship that you tweeted and ask what sort of entry requirements/qualifications they require from you in order to work for them.
Hope this helps,
Alice :smile:
Original post by BU Students
Hey,
I'm a BU student so I may be able to give a certain perspective on your worry. Although it's difficult to do this, I honestly wouldn't worry what others expect from you - I know that's easy to say but its your career path at the end of the day. Have you looked to see if there are any courses that would perhaps integrate both options where you could go to uni but also secure a work placement with a cruise ship? Perhaps a hospitality degree? It depends on what sort of work you are interested in doing on the cruise ship. Perhaps email the cruise ship that you tweeted and ask what sort of entry requirements/qualifications they require from you in order to work for them.
Hope this helps,
Alice :smile:

Hello.
I don't think that I can get work experience on a cruise ship, but I will be spending 2 weeks on one this summer and plan to talk to them about opportunities when there. My desired career is to become Cruise Director, who is in charge of the entertainment/guest activities and is the main MC on the ship. You have to start as Entertainment Staff and do the activities hosting then move up to the Assistant CD, and finally to CD. I have had a look on Royal Caribbean's website and it seems that I just need to complete high school, although I need experience in entertainment, which I do not have. Not too sure what to do there. They said to me via Twitter that I can apply from 18.

Thanks for your assistance.
Original post by Joe2001

Cruise ships pay well from what I've heard. I see no reason why you shouldn't go for it if it is something you want to do.

People need to live their own goddamn lives instead of bossing others or vicariously reliving their own life through other people in search for a 'second chance' to make right mistakes they feel they made in their lives. They had their chance, now it's your turn.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending