The Student Room Group

count dankula gets £800 fine

Scroll to see replies

Dude was basically fined for impersonating a nazi. Acting profession's ****ed lads
Original post by Axiomasher
The guy was either a neo-Nazi or an absolute idiot, either way he deserved to get some punishment for his hate-video. The dog might need denazification therapy too.

Where people say things in the public domain which are very easily recognisable as grossly offensive or threatening to a vulnerable group, as in this case, there should be accountability. If he had only had the dog responding to the Nazi phrases once or twice he might have got away with it but he went on and on and on with phrases like 'Gas the Jews' (which was pointed out in the sentencing). An environment of outright 'free speech' where anyone could say anything to anyone else at any time without consequence would make for a horrible society to live in.

Why does Sheriff Derek O'Carroll have a TSR account now
Original post by Underscore__
He made it abundantly clear he thinks Nazis are terrible and it was clearly a joke, to suggest it could reasonably be considered threatening is nonsense

Oh, "I think Nazis are terrible but guess what, I'm gonna chant 'Gas the Jews' 23 times for a laugh anyway". He's probably attracted huge right-wing support which will now expect him to be a poster-boy for them. I wonder what his next video will be about.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
What is this world coming too... It was a joke, it was not in any way suppose to get people to hate Jewish people or hurt them, There are far more important things that the public services could be getting on with.
Original post by Luke7456
actually i fully agree with you here. Any punishment is to much i believe in free speech. what I meant is I was expecting the guy to get a prison sentence so he came out of this better then i expected.

he had already been convicted so a sentence was assured.

ultimately dankula has not lost here, his channel has gained significant popularity over this issue when before it had hardly any subscribers. he will likely set up a patreon and have a career as a commentator on youtube sponsored by patreons if he has not already set this up. the court costs and fine he will pay will likely be significantly less then the earnings boost this will give him over the coming years.

the major concern is the legal precedent this sets and how it will affect our freedom as a society going forward.

Yes I agree, the only thing that should be limited is encouraging others to commit violent acts and that’s it.
Reply 24
This is just pedantry though. I'm talking about making public communications which are grossly offensive to vulnerable groups. Given the actual history of Jews under Nazism such 'jokes' about gassing them are easily understood as an attack or threat. Nobody needs the freedom to do that kind of thing.

Jokes about Nazism or gassing the jews are not threats they are jokes. It's a misinterpretation to suggest they are necessarily a threat.

I agree with a law against incitement to violence, however it must actually be proven to be a threat rather than simply felt or to use your word 'understood' to be a threat by anyone who takes offence.

For example: I could claim to feel threatened by your post just there. Should you go to jail? Didn't think so...
The guy was either a neo-Nazi or an absolute idiot, either way he deserved to get some punishment for his hate-video. The dog might need denazification therapy too.

What in earth is wrong with absolute freedom of speech like they have in the USA. It also has the advance of drawing attention to ISIS minded people or violent extremists so that the secret service can check them out.
Original post by Joe312
Jokes about Nazism or gassing the jews are not threats they are jokes. It's a misinterpretation to suggest they are necessarily a threat...

Maybe some Jewish people saw it quite differently. Just saying something like "the following comment is a joke" before you launch into repetitions of 'Gas the Jews' wouldn't convince me personally and nor did it, seemingly, convince the Sheriff.
Original post by Airplanebee2
What in earth is wrong with absolute freedom of speech...

It might be an alt-right wet-dream but for me this would be horrible, just horrible. A civilised society should be civilised.
Where people say things in the public domain which are very easily recognisable as grossly offensive or threatening to a vulnerable group, as in this case, there should be accountability. If he had only had the dog responding to the Nazi phrases once or twice he might have got away with it but he went on and on and on with phrases like 'Gas the Jews' (which was pointed out in the sentencing). An environment of outright 'free speech' where anyone could say anything to anyone else at any time without consequence would make for a horrible society to live in.

Agreed. Originally I thought punishing him was wrong because it means that comedians can't say anything offensive anymore for jokes-essentially, some types of comedy would get really bland. Well this and mostly because I hate politically correctness.

Anyways after the court hearing and statements revealing he uses phrases like 'gas the Jews' I immediately backtracked. Clearly he was a neo-nazi or something and phrases like that can be seriously harmful. One could infer that such repetition suggests that he may have believed it himself; it's only a matter of times a black man can say "Kill the whites" before he gets called out.

Furthermore it's simply not comedic at all. AHhahAHahHAhaHAha "gAs tHe JeWs" Geddit???. Anyways I cba rambling on anymore, point is, the socially-awkward virgin deserves that fine end of.
Reply 29
Original post by Hiraeth.
Agreed. Originally I thought punishing him was wrong because it means that comedians can't say anything offensive anymore for jokes-essentially, some types of comedy would get really bland. Well this and mostly because I hate politically correctness.

Anyways after the court hearing and statements revealing he uses phrases like 'gas the Jews' I immediately backtracked. Clearly he was a neo-nazi or something and phrases like that can be seriously harmful. One could infer that such repetition suggests that he may have believed it himself; it's only a matter of times a black man can say "Kill the whites" before he gets called out.

Furthermore it's simply not comedic at all. AHhahAHahHAhaHAha "gAs tHe JeWs" Geddit???. Anyways I cba rambling on anymore, point is, the socially-awkward virgin deserves that fine end of.

he now has 185000 subscribers im not sure if he has patreon but i know youtubers who have similiar subscriber numbers who use patreon are making £8000+ a month.

before all this hype he had something like 10 subscribers he now has a very lucrative career. however a legal precedent has been set now where if someone decides what we say is grossly offensive we can face conviction.

ultimately dankula has won big time in fact in reality this fine now amounts to approximately 3 days wages of his new career. where as prior to this trial he was barely scraping by.

if you think he got what he deserved you must really like this guy then. maybe you are one of his subscribers?

so if he is a neo nazi (not saying he is) then he has just received significant help in spreading his nazi message.

meanwhile you have to be really careful what you say because otherwise you can face criminal conviction.

We don't have 'outright free speech'. Never did, probably never will. Harassment is outlawed. Threats of violence, etc.

I think jokes, stupid as they may be, done for satire, are nothing more than that.

Starting a YouTube channel and saying that sort of stuff with genuine intent... I could agree with you there.
Oh, "I think Nazis are terrible but guess what, I'm gonna chant 'Gas the Jews' 23 times for a laugh anyway". He's probably attracted huge right-wing support which will now expect him to be a poster-boy for them. I wonder what his next video will be about.

Attachment not found

Either you need further reading or you’re intentionally being dishonest; he said I’m going to turn this dog into the least cute thing I can think of: a Nazi. That’s hardly glorifying Nazism/anti-semitism.

He’s become a bit of a poster boy for free speech. I don’t really see how it’s different from the thousands of Nazi jokes made by comedians
Original post by Luke7456
he now has 185000 subscribers im not sure if he has patreon but i know youtubers who have similiar subscriber numbers who use patreon are making £8000+ a month.

before all this hype he had something like 10 subscribers he now has a very lucrative career. however a legal precedent has been set now where if someone decides what we say is grossly offensive we can face conviction.

ultimately dankula has won big time in fact in reality this fine now amounts to approximately 3 days wages of his new career. where as prior to this trial he was barely scraping by.

if you think he got what he deserved you must really like this guy then. maybe you are one of his subscribers?

so if he is a neo nazi (not saying he is) then he has just received significant help in spreading his nazi message.

meanwhile you have to be really careful what you say because otherwise you can face criminal conviction.

Well, what should we do then? Turn a blind eye so those sympathetic Nazi feelings can grow and grow and turn into something worse? Not quite sure what your trying to get here. Do we let ISIS spread Wahabbism and turn a blind eye so that we avoiding fighting them that will create media attention and ultimately help spread there message? If that's what your assuming you must really like this guy also.

You're wrong in assuming that i'm one of his subscribers. Your also wrong in assuming that I like him. Maybe you can't read?
Dankula never won big time. Yes he does have a Patreon but it makes 1,670£ a month, which is measly compared to the the similar YouTubers that "you know". Barely scraping by is not the phrase I would use to describe his living; he was more living a quality of life similar to the rest of the working class.

Ultimately, he is essentially a man that went viral, and I can bet you two twix bars that he won't be rising much higher in terms of YouTube subscribers.
Oh and don't forget how strict YouTube got with their monetising. You think his videos full of offensive memes are going to get ad-revenue compared to other You Tubers yeah? Be quiet fool. He deserves everything he gets. Period. I hope he does get employed after such a scandal on the basis that he is genuinely sorry and is not a Neo-Nazi, however I do hope he has learnt a good lesson after this.

Spoiler

Original post by NonIndigenous
We don't have 'outright free speech'. Never did, probably never will. Harassment is outlawed. Threats of violence, etc.

I think jokes, stupid as they may be, done for satire, are nothing more than that.

Starting a YouTube channel and saying that sort of stuff with genuine intent... I could agree with you there.

I appreciate that there's such a thing as 'edgy' and ironic humour which touches on sensitive subjects but I don't automatically take at face-value that something is just a joke because it is claimed to be just a joke. I've been around long enough to know that some will use whatever cover they find convenient to make their point or get their message across. In the end it's for the justice system to make a determination where there's been a complaint. Was this guy really a neo-Nazi, I dunno but probably not. Was he offering up a message that could all too easily be interpreted as hate directed at a vulnerable group regardless of its 'humorous' setting? I think he was and on that basis it couldn't go unchecked.
Reply 34
This is just pedantry though. I'm talking about making public communications which are grossly offensive to vulnerable groups. Given the actual history of Jews under Nazism such 'jokes' about gassing them are easily understood as an attack or threat. Nobody needs the freedom to do that kind of thing.

Plenty of jokes like that have been made by comedians, the only difference is that they are on stage doing it. This should never have been an issue as it only seemed to be offensive but wasn't.
Original post by Bio 7
Plenty of jokes like that have been made by comedians, the only difference is that they are on stage doing it. This should never have been an issue as it only seemed to be offensive but wasn't.

Are you saying nobody found it offensive?

Here's the thing about offense, it's taken, not given.
"If you do not believe in a man's right to say something offensive then you don't believe in free speech"-famous person
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Here's the thing about offense, it's taken, not given.
"If you do not believe in a man's right to say something offensive then you don't believe in free speech"-famous person

I don't believe in free speech.
Reply 38
Maybe some Jewish people saw it quite differently. Just saying something like "the following comment is a joke" before you launch into repetitions of 'Gas the Jews' wouldn't convince me personally and nor did it, seemingly, convince the Sheriff.

Like I said, I agree that incitement to violence should be illegal. However there have to be objective standards by which we judge something to be an incitement to violence.

The fact that in some Jews' subjective opinion he was threatening them, does not make it an actual threat.

If it did, then I could claim that your posts are threatening in my subjective opinion. Should you go to jail now?

When did making a joke constitute being a neo--Nazi you daftie. It was a joke that many people found funny, others not so much.

I didn't think it was particularly funny because i don't see how you can laugh at a pug lifting its arm up a fraction of an inch, but i still recognise its a joke and wouldn't want him to be imprisoned for a joke.

A hate video would be if Count Dankula went on youtube and said "we need to kill these dirty jews" or "hitler was completely in the right regarding the holocaust", a hate video is not when you take the **** out of an evil regime or make a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending