The Student Room Group

DrawTheLine writes a blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrawTheLine
I hope I didn't spoil it for you! It's one of the best shows I've watched.

I actually like spoilers for some reason! I am doing the same thing but rewarding myself with skittles haha x
Or at least I'll try to write one. A blog, diary, general offloading of my day. :erm:

I've been seeing blogs pop up here and there and I've been lurking around reading a few bits every now and then. A few weeks ago I started wondering if I could give it a go, maybe it'll be good for me.

I can't promise how interesting my life is or my thoughts :dontknow:, but it will be nice to look back on this when I'm older and see how far I've come.

I'm not going to commit to a certain number of posts a week because that could get stressy, but I'll try to keep it regular. :thumbsup:

Let's see how long I can keep this going! :w00t:

Spoiler

Eeeeee!!! Its my best freind @DrawTheLine!!!:smile: Hello, hi:smile:!!!
Original post by Ucashelp
I actually like spoilers for some reason! I am doing the same thing but rewarding myself with skittles haha x

What chapter are you up to? I'm not too much of a fan of Skittles tbh
Original post by Religion 9
Eeeeee!!! Its my best freind @DrawTheLine!!!:smile: Hello, hi:smile:!!!

You have an interesting definition of best friend.
You have an interesting definition of best friend.

Ooo Girl you so kind!!!:smile:
Original post by Religion 9
Ooo Girl you so kind!!!:smile:

It wasn't a compliment, but okay.
It wasn't a compliment, but okay.

So modest.....
What chapter are you up to? I'm not too much of a fan of Skittles tbh

Only watched the first few eps - jane was about to have sex that one!
Only watched the first few eps - jane was about to have sex that one!

It gets so much better as it goes on!
It gets so much better as it goes on!

Gonna finish it this summer after exams!!
Enjoying the blog so far. Could you please tag me in future updates though? I forgot about this blog temporarily and don't want to do that again.
22nd April 2018

This morning started off really good. :bigsmile: I went to bed at 11, a much more reasonable time than recently. I slept like a log so when my boyfriend woke me up at 7 I felt no need to continue sleeping. I got out of bed and dressed at 7:30, feeling really productive. I realised I had left my heater on all night by mistake, oops. :oops: Luckily it wasn’t boiling in my room. It’s one of those where it turns off when it gets to a certain temperature, then turns on again when it gets below a certain temperature. I need to remember to turn it off though, just so I don’t end up waking up from it being too warm.

I made tea (no flappy insects this time). I was going to watch Casualty like I do every Sunday morning because there’s normally an episode on Saturday nights, however this time there wasn’t one because of the Queen's birthday concert. :no:

Again today I didn’t really have a breakfast, just tea and some digestives. It’s not healthy at all but I go through phases where I’m just not interested in it. :dontknow: Also, because the weather is a bit sh*te today, I have no reason to go anywhere so I don’t really need to eat 3 structured meals today. I can just eat little and often throughout the day, which is what I prefer to do. :yep: It started pouring down with rain at about 10, just as well I decided to be cooped up today. :couchpotato: It was so dark and cloudy that I needed to have my little desk lamp on so I could see my work. The past few days I’ve not needed to turn any lights on until about 8-9pm.

I really like having my window open to get a bit of fresh air whilst I work, but I firmly decided today that would not happen. :noway: A big wasp type thing was buzzing right outside and tapping against my window, and then one of those long-legged flying insect things came shortly after it. Now there’s no way I can open my window today. Probably just as well it’s totally grey and overcast today so it would have been a tad nippy if I had opened it.

I started doing revision at 8:30 today and I’m so proud of myself. :proud: I’ve been doing 1 hour revision and 15 minute break today and it’s worked well so far. I’m just ploughing through each topic, creating Quizlet sets for all of them. Then when they are all done I plan on printing them all off, cutting them up and using them to test my knowledge.

By noon I had done 3 hours of work. I completely finish one module of Quizlet sets in that time and I’m really happy. :grin: I’m much more productive in the morning I know for sure. From lunch onwards is when I start slacking.

For lunch I made sweet chilli wraps and again failed on the wrapping. :frown: I lightly spread some sweet chilli sauce on the tortilla, added some slices of red pepper and some iceberg lettuce. I cut a chicken breast into strips and cooked it in a frying pan with salt and pepper until it was nice and golden. It was all going great until I put it in the wrap and it just didn’t work. I’m sure it’s my technique, but either way I managed to wrap them enough to eat with some lettuce falling out and sauce dripping out the bottom. It was really good and I’m sure it was pretty healthy, except for maybe the sauce but I spread a very, very thin layer of it on both wraps so I’d say overall a nice healthy meal. :yum:

After lunch I watched a bit more Suits and then got back to work. Because my boyfriend was asleep, I could listen to music while I worked. :music: I really like songs that have a strong drum beat because it gives me motivation and energy to work hard for a long time. I like to listen to them through headphones and have it probably at a bad volume for my ears because the louder it is, the more intense the drums and therefore the harder I work. Some songs that work really well are:

- December 1963 (Oh, What a Night) by The Four Seasons
- I Want to Know What Love Is by Foreigner
- Alone by Heart
- We Built This City by Starship
- Otherside by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Snow by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Another One Bites the Dust by Queen
- Wind of Change by Scorpions
- World Shut Your Mouth by Julian Cope

There’s loads more songs but these were on my playlist earlier today. I grew up around oldies music because my parents were both born in the early 60s (my dad in 60 and my mum 61), so I know this music. My mum was not so much of an influence because she wasn’t in the UK in the 60s and 70s or even the 80s I think. My dad however has lived here his whole life so he grew up with the Beatles, Queen, Billy Joel, Bee Gees etc. So on long car journeys or just going anywhere in the car we listened to those songs all the time and I really like them now too. Much better than the sh*te that’s spewed out from today’s artists. :nah: One of my favourite songs is Alone by the Bee Gees. However, having said that, my most favourite recent artists are Adele, Ed Sheeran and Michael Buble. They aren’t like the other artists nowadays. My all time favourite song is definitely When We Were Young by Adele. :heart:Whenever I hear it it just sends me off into my happy place. :daydreaming: I think she’s such a beautiful singer and person. She doesn’t have to do anything except stand in front of a microphone and sing for people to notice her and love her voice and music. Unlike some artists who have to basically go on stage in nipple pasties and a thong to get people to go to their concerts. :ahhhhh: Adele stands on stage in gorgeous elegant gowns and just belts out her songs. You can just feel the passion in her voice and the love she has for her fans.

As for Ed Sheeran, well he’s just awesome. My favourite song of his is Thinking Out Loud. It’s just so pure and perfect and romantic. If I wanted a proper wedding (I don’t, but that’s something for another day) that would be the song I wanted my first dance to. :dancing:

As for the Boob himself, you have to love his Christmas album, don’t you? :santa3: I have it on my phone and I made my boyfriend listen to the whole thing while we were driving places over Christmas. I’m so glad he put up with it he’s such a scrooge when it comes to Christmas. :scrooge: I’m there with Christmas jumpers, earrings, socks, everything. Anyway, yeah Buble’s songs are really special too. I love his song I Believe in You. It’s his voice that makes it the best as opposed to what he sings. He has done a lot of covers and I prefer his versions to the originals in most cases. I also have his Greatest Hits album too and I noticed on the plane back from seeing my boyfriend this year that listening to it helps me sleep, ha. :laugh: The plane was noisy so I put my headphones in and his album on and I actually got a good amount of sleep. I plan on doing that this summer too. Try it if you’re ever somewhere you need to sleep and can’t it really works! Very surprisingly effective. :yes:

Anyway, enough of music. After I did a bit more work, I decided to do some cleaning. :^_^: We are having maintenance come into our room tomorrow to do electrical tests on all the plugs, so I thought I should make my room look clean and tidy. Tomorrow I’ll probably make myself go out and do revision just so there’s a chance they come when I’m not in my room, so I feel less aware of them judging me. :judge: I’m sure they’re more focused on their work, but they’re human and I want them to positively judge my room. I got out the antibacterial wipes and dusted down all the surfaces and threw away some stuff I should have done ages ago. I packed all my summer dresses and shoes into my suitcase, like pre-packing for my trip to the US in the summer. :excited: I also cleaned my bathroom too. I love the smell and look of a nice clean bathroom, when the sink and toilet are just sparkly white. You can just feel the cleanliness. It’s amazing. :yeah:

Afterwards I had a shower. Some days you can just feel that feeling when you need a shower. It’s not like you’re even particularly “dirty” but you just get that feeling of “ick”. :shock: I’ve been trying out this new face wash, it’s some kind of activated charcoal 3 in 1 think. It’s a wash, scrub and mask. To be honest before you judge me for being hipster or anything when I bought it I didn’t actually notice it was this charcoal stuff. I just thought it was an exfoliating scrub good for oily skin. If I had read it properly I would not have bought it because charcoal is messy! :nodots: I had just cleaned my shower and then I had to do it again because there were all these black charcoal marks everywhere. Having moaned about the mess, I think it’s doing okay. I’ve only used it twice so far but it definitely makes my skin feel less oily and makes my nose feel nicer. It says to use it every day, but I will only use it when I shower which is every other day. I can’t be dealing with that mess every day! :eek4:

When I was about to start working again, my internet went down. :unimpressed: “Secured, no internet”. I hate eduroam! :angry: It’s so unreliable and horrible. I played games on my phone until it came back again, it was only about 10 minutes but when you’re motivated to work, you want to work right then instead of being forced to wait a little longer. First world problems, eh?

I did a little bit more work and then I got hungry, so I made vegetable soup. I made it with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and onion. I like salt but this time I added way too much. :argh: When I was eating it I had to keep drinking water every few mouthfuls! Shame really because salty foods are often my favourite yet this is a bit much. I also have 3 more portions to get through in the next few days, so it’ll be interesting to eat.

Food diary!

Breakfast: tea with digestives :tea:
Lunch: sweet chili chicken wraps
Dinner: dehydration vegetable soup
Snacks: M&Ms and 2 strawberries (they were starting to go mouldy so only 2 left were good :frown:)

The next few hours will be spent chatting with my boyfriend and finishing this sub-section of revision. I’m proud of myself for my productivity today. :h:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
23rd April 2018

I managed to stick to my “bedtime” again last night, really proud of myself. :h: I did the same morning routine as well, pretty boring I suppose. :ashamed2: I had tea but no biscuits this time. I was actually good and had a bowl of cereal for my breakfast, with a couple of M&Ms afterwards. :cookie: I made sure to make my bed and tidy up my stuff before I left this morning because of the electrical testing today. I decided to go the John Lewis café to have tea and a muffin while I do work. I find it a good environment to work in because it takes a long time to get there (45 mins to an hour depending on traffic). I know that because it took me a while to get here, I’ll make my time there worthwhile. That was the plan, anyway. When I got there I sat on my usual table in the corner. I like this specific table because it’s out of the way of the pathway of people and a little quieter. :hide: However it was clear this time the air con was on and I was so cold! :snow: I thought I would get used to it, so I had my tea and did some work. I didn’t take my coat off and my fingers in the end were almost so cold I couldn’t move them. I had goosebumps on my face too. After just over an hour I decided to leave. I had finished my tea and muffin but I was getting too cold to type. It was pretty busy by that point too so I could really move tables. I’d done a good amount of work though so I was pleased with myself. :u:

Afterwards I went to the pharmacy to ask about getting antibiotics in advance, and they said it should be fine because it’s a recurring problem and the GP will see it on my record, but to double check with my practice. So I trotted off back home (on the bus though, not walking over 2 hours home when it’s this windy!) :noway: . when I got back I checked the mail and I had a referral letter from the NHS. I’ve got this weird thing on my lower leg. I initially thought it was an insect bite, but then my GP said it was actually most likely erythema multiforme, which is a skin condition caused by an internal reaction to something. I don’t know what I’m reacting to but it’s making me unhappy. :hmmm: Because I’m going away in the summer and it’ll be really hot I’ve got lots of cute dresses to wear but I doubt I will want to with this mark on my leg. I’ve changed the contraceptive pill I’m on again back to my old one in case it was my new pill causing the issue, as it started a few weeks after I started the new pill. My GP referred me to a dermatologist, so I'm seeing them next week. :yy:

The letter said I have to ring to arrange an appointment for the referral, so when I did the first time I couldn’t get through (surprise) because of a team meeting. I also tried ringing my GP reception to pass a question over to a GP about the antibiotics but couldn’t get through the first few times. Is it a bad time to ring people around 2pm? :hmmmm2: I finally managed to get through to the referral team, after 30 minutes on hold. :colonhash: There was no hold music either just beeping. After 30 minutes my brain was beginning to get a bit fried. :grr: Anyway, instead of having to wait like 10 weeks for a referral I have an appointment in a week and a half! I’m so amazed at that as I was expecting to have a lot of hassle with trying to find a time based on what’s going on later on in the year. I’m so happy about that and that’s one less thing to worry about. :danceboy:

When I got back to my room my stickers had arrived (woop) but my internet wouldn’t connect, again. :curious: It was like this much longer today than yesterday, so I couldn’t even carry on doing my work like I intended to. It really kills your motivation. :angry: I’ve had to switch to the unsecure wifi my accommodation has because after 7 hours the secure one still won’t work. I’m really frustrated because there’s no good reason why. :argh: I’ve restarted everything, forgotten the network and re-entered my details but nothing. The thing with this wifi is not everyone is affected. For others the wifi is fine. But then it isn’t my device either.

I didn’t get as much work done as I had hoped when I got back, mainly because I was excited about the royal baby. :excited: I absolutely love babies so seeing a newborn was just something I couldn’t miss. :heart: I had the news up in the background on my laptop whilst printing out those Quizlet sets I made for the exam I have next week (f*cking hell it’s next Wednesday!! :eek3:) and cut those up. Tonight I’ll do a bit of work with them.

I had my dehydration soup for dinner again. I didn’t really have a lunch because I had the muffin at around 11 and then I was making those phone calls so I wasn’t that hungry. Then it got to about 4pm and I was hungry, but it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner, so I had a small snack.

I watched Joe Lycett’s tour on catch up. Most of the jokes I had heard before but I think he’s still really funny. I saw him live once at my students union. It was great fun, I love his style of comedy. :lol:

The rest of the evening will be spent doing those question sets and trying to get my internet to work. Can’t believe it’s just over a month until my first year is all over!

Food diary!

Breakfast: fruit and fibre cereal with tea
Lunch: nothing really
Dinner: leftover dehydration soup
Snacks: M&Ms, muffin, ready salted crisps

Spoiler

i have a question , how do you rate uni life , and how come ?

i'm curious to know what it is like in general for you
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i have a question , how do you rate uni life , and how come ?

i'm curious to know what it is like in general for you

6 out of 10.

Positives:
- So much more freedom and independence from home. I can video chat my boyfriend much more often and just do my own thing. I can go out without having to tell someone and I can eat the food I want to cook. I feel a lot less restricted. It'll be so weird to move back home in the summer and be around people and more rules again
- Getting to study what I actually want to. I hated having to do biology and geography alongside psychology. Now I can just focus on that and it's so much better
- More confidence. Uni has forced me to be less of a pushover and to defend myself. At home I have my dad and all I have to do is cry to him and he will deal with whoever is upsetting me, but at uni I have to do it myself. Helps me grow as a person
- Choosing what I eat. I've been able to try so many new foods and have what I'm craving whereas at home my brother is so fussy that I wouldn't be able to eat half the stuff I do now because it has a certain type of pasta or whatever.

Negatives:
- Not having my dad around to help me. There have been times I've felt totally clueless about adulting and I've had to sort it out myself, or rely on just instructions over the phone. I can't get the scanner on my printer to work, despite spending an hour on the phone with my dad sending him pictures. Not even he could figure it out so tbh I think it's the printer not me, but that's just an example of one issue.
- Feeling a bit isolated. I'm a shy person at first so meeting new people and getting to that friend stage takes a while. The people I've met are nice but I'm still at that stage where I'm like "I can't tell them this about me because they might judge me" so I feel a bit lonely sometimes, especially because my uni accommodation is so much further away than everyone else's
- Other people taking advantage of you. I've always been academic and studying hard. I get the assignments done and first drafts done within a week of them being set. Other people know this and then try to mooch answers etc off me in the last few days before it is due. It's frustrating that they think I'm willing to do that
- Having too much freedom. I've gotten into some bad habits I'm regretting now, but I know that in 2nd year I won't do that again, so silver lining.
- Being apart from my cat. It seems silly but it's true - I miss my cat more than my family (maybe my mum equally so). I'm worried she won't remember me as much.

Overall it's a really good experience. I've grown so much as a person and become so much more confident. It has its ups and downs but then so does everything.
6 out of 10.

Positives:
- So much more freedom and independence from home. I can video chat my boyfriend much more often and just do my own thing. I can go out without having to tell someone and I can eat the food I want to cook. I feel a lot less restricted. It'll be so weird to move back home in the summer and be around people and more rules again
- Getting to study what I actually want to. I hated having to do biology and geography alongside psychology. Now I can just focus on that and it's so much better
- More confidence. Uni has forced me to be less of a pushover and to defend myself. At home I have my dad and all I have to do is cry to him and he will deal with whoever is upsetting me, but at uni I have to do it myself. Helps me grow as a person
- Choosing what I eat. I've been able to try so many new foods and have what I'm craving whereas at home my brother is so fussy that I wouldn't be able to eat half the stuff I do now because it has a certain type of pasta or whatever.

Negatives:
- Not having my dad around to help me. There have been times I've felt totally clueless about adulting and I've had to sort it out myself, or rely on just instructions over the phone. I can't get the scanner on my printer to work, despite spending an hour on the phone with my dad sending him pictures. Not even he could figure it out so tbh I think it's the printer not me, but that's just an example of one issue.
- Feeling a bit isolated. I'm a shy person at first so meeting new people and getting to that friend stage takes a while. The people I've met are nice but I'm still at that stage where I'm like "I can't tell them this about me because they might judge me" so I feel a bit lonely sometimes, especially because my uni accommodation is so much further away than everyone else's
- Other people taking advantage of you. I've always been academic and studying hard. I get the assignments done and first drafts done within a week of them being set. Other people know this and then try to mooch answers etc off me in the last few days before it is due. It's frustrating that they think I'm willing to do that
- Having too much freedom. I've gotten into some bad habits I'm regretting now, but I know that in 2nd year I won't do that again, so silver lining.
- Being apart from my cat. It seems silly but it's true - I miss my cat more than my family (maybe my mum equally so). I'm worried she won't remember me as much.

Overall it's a really good experience. I've grown so much as a person and become so much more confident. It has its ups and downs but then so does everything.

dam ok , hopefully everything goes smoothly
Original post by Ray_Shadows
dam ok , hopefully everything goes smoothly

Me too! Just over a month then it's all over, which is freaky. Tbh uni is what you make it. I've been introverted so haven't had as many experiences as I should have but I'm still very happy with it.
Happy days my internet is back! :biggrin:
another great post!! love reading it every evening :h:
another great post!! love reading it every evening :h:

Thank you that means a lot! PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest