The Student Room Group

Selling a Kidney to afford medical school

I know, this sounds insane. But being an international student and not having EU privileges, medical school will cost me in total $252,000, whereas an EU student would have to pay $82,000. EU students get to take out a loan locally, whereas I don't.

I have no other options, because back home we only have one small medical school that takes about 300 students a year, and they have to be a certain age. This school here is my only choice.

I cannot take out a loan that big either. My only options are to win the lottery, have someone extremely rich and kind to sponsor me, or more realistically sell a kidney for $262,000. Am I insane? should I consider this as a serious option?

Scroll to see replies

Are there any scholarships or bursaries you can apply for?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Are there any scholarships or bursaries you can apply for?

sadly no, the only ones i can find are for EU students or refugees.
NOOOO!!!! Look for scholarships or student loans!!
sell it for $300k, that way you can cover accomodation atleast
Original post by gr8wizard10
sell it for $300k, that way you can cover accomodation atleast

the $262,000 is supposed to include accommodation, but thanks for the support haha
Loooool I don't know whether to laugh or cry that people would need to sell a kidney to afford a university education.

I honestly don't really have an answer for this. All I can suggest is to try and get a bursary for a medical school somewhere or find some sort of way to get a university fees loan in your home country. I don't know much at all about the international system but surely with the amount of international students universities bring in they can't all have $252,00 to spare, there must be some sort of arrangement in place.

(Oh btw I don't think you'd be able to raise even half of that amount from selling a kidney. In fact I don't think you could even sell every vital organ in your body to raise that much, in which case you would just be a lifeless mass of skin and bones anyway. Raising $252,000 lump sum is going to be a humungous challenge so it's worth forgetting about that and looking down different avenues as mentioned above).

Best of luck anyway, I hope you manage to start university with a lovely matching pair of kidneys. :smile:
maybe don't go to medical school ?
Original post by darkforest
Loooool I don't know whether to laugh or cry that people would need to sell a kidney to afford a university education.

I honestly don't really have an answer for this. All I can suggest is to try and get a bursary for a medical school somewhere or find some sort of way to get a university fees loan in your home country. I don't know much at all about the international system but surely with the amount of international students universities bring in they can't all have $252,00 to spare, there must be some sort of arrangement in place.

(Oh btw I don't think you'd be able to raise even half of that amount from selling a kidney. In fact I don't think you could even sell every vital organ in your body to raise that much, in which case you would just be a lifeless mass of skin and bones anyway. Raising $252,000 lump sum is going to be a humungous challenge so it's worth forgetting about that and looking down different avenues as mentioned above).

Best of luck anyway, I hope you manage to start university with a lovely matching pair of kidneys. :smile:

Haha I will perhaps message Oprah to spare me some change 😂 Actually it can reach $262,000 depending on the donor. Being young and very healthy, with desperate rich people looking for a match, it could work. But it will be a very last resort if an option at all.

Thanks for the support!
Original post by the bear
maybe don't go to medical school ?

it's the only thing I want most in life.
Wait, where are you from and where are you planning on going? Sounds like you're looking at the UK, didn't think degrees were that much even for international students but if so I'm sure there's a bunch of other European universities that offer degrees in medicine for way less than a quarter mil.
Write to billionaires and millionaires to ask them for a contribution towards your cause, it’s probably a long shot but better than selling your kidney

Alternatively ask 252,000 people for 1 dollar each and you will have reached your goal
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cupcakekitty21
it's the only thing I want most in life.

hmmmm there are more than enough doctors around....

if you want to enjoy the medical lifestyle you could marry a doctor; this does not involve removal of an organ afaik :dontknow:
Why not wait a few years, work a bit to earn and save some money and then go to medical school when you have more funds?
Reply 14
take out a loan like everyone else?
Don't sell your kidneys.

Keep them and sell your granny instead.
Reply 16
Original post by cupcakekitty21
I know, this sounds insane. But being an international student and not having EU privileges, medical school will cost me in total $252,000, whereas an EU student would have to pay $82,000. EU students get to take out a loan locally, whereas I don't.

I have no other options, because back home we only have one small medical school that takes about 300 students a year, and they have to be a certain age. This school here is my only choice.

I cannot take out a loan that big either. My only options are to win the lottery, have someone extremely rich and kind to sponsor me, or more realistically sell a kidney for $262,000. Am I insane? should I consider this as a serious option?

Even if you can afford the fees places for medicine are capped for Internationals. Unless you actually have an offer your kidney is safe.
in 15 years time ( assuming your remaining kidney is still limping along ) you will be advising patients on how to look after their health. selling a kidney is not going to give the right message.
Are there really no European medical schools other than the UK?
Reply 19
Original post by the bear
hmmmm there are more than enough doctors around....

if you want to enjoy the medical lifestyle you could marry a doctor; this does not involve removal of an organ afaik :dontknow:

“More than enough doctors” yet the NHS still struggles with understaffed shifts and locum doctors. And PAs were introduced just for banter, nothing to do with relieving doctors workload

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending