The Student Room Group

Terrified of failing my A level Spanish speaking exam

My speaking exam is on Wednesday and the thought actually makes me sick. I feel like I've done all I can but I can just tell when I get in there I'm going to be asked really obvious things that I forgot about.

I'd really be happy with a C at this point as I'm better at the writing and the reading/listening so hopefully that will pull my grade up. I'm just terrified of being asked impossible questions and spending the whole exam stuttering and talking garbage. Ahh I just want it over with :frown:

How is everyone else feeling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Hey :smile:
I’m not doing Spanish but I am doing French, my speaking is in May but I feel exactly the same as you... I find it really hard to formulate answers quickly so I end up pausing and stuttering a lot :frown:
What exam board are you doing for Spanish?
Reply 3
Original post by rosewater02
Hey :smile:
I’m not doing Spanish but I am doing French, my speaking is in May but I feel exactly the same as you... I find it really hard to formulate answers quickly so I end up pausing and stuttering a lot :frown:
What exam board are you doing for Spanish?

Same! It's like I get to the middle of the sentence and completely forget how grammar works or what I was saying in the first place :rolleyes:

I'm with Eduqas, what about you?
Reply 4
Original post by sundae
My speaking exam is on Wednesday and the thought actually makes me sick. I feel like I've done all I can but I can just tell when I get in there I'm going to be asked really obvious things that I forgot about.

I'd really be happy with a C at this point as I'm better at the writing and the reading/listening so hopefully that will pull my grade up. I'm just terrified of being asked impossible questions and spending the whole exam stuttering and talking garbage. Ahh I just want it over with :frown:

How is everyone else feeling?

I did my spanish speaking last monday and i was petrified beforehand but once you get into the flow of things it'll feel much better and more natural. if you feel stuck on a phrase or anything, just use time-filler phrases like "pues...", "desde mi punto de vista", "vale..."
Reply 5
Original post by trbltrbl
I did my spanish speaking last monday and i was petrified beforehand but once you get into the flow of things it'll feel much better and more natural. if you feel stuck on a phrase or anything, just use time-filler phrases like "pues...", "desde mi punto de vista", "vale..."

Ah thank you you've made me feel a bit better :redface: Can I ask how much did you revise? Were you expected to know a lot of cultural stuff for the card?
Original post by sundae
Same! It's like I get to the middle of the sentence and completely forget how grammar works or what I was saying in the first place :rolleyes:

I'm with Eduqas, what about you?

I feel you, I’m with Edexcel... how are you feeling about the irp?
Reply 7
I feel you, I’m with Edexcel... how are you feeling about the irp?

I feel better prepared for that then the cards but I'm scared my answers will be to vague/basic as I really don't know what level of detail they want us to go into?

How about you?
Original post by sundae
I feel better prepared for that then the cards but I'm scared my answers will be to vague/basic as I really don't know what level of detail they want us to go into?

How about you?

I feel exactly the same ... I’m worried I’ll get a topic I don’t really have much to say about and I’m scared I’ll get asked questions I don’t know anything about :frown:
I’m okay with the irp part I guess, better than the cards lol
Reply 9
I feel exactly the same ... I’m worried I’ll get a topic I don’t really have much to say about and I’m scared I’ll get asked questions I don’t know anything about :frown:
I’m okay with the irp part I guess, better than the cards lol

Same I'm dreading it so much. I've been looking at other exam boards trying to find resources and AQA have recorded mock speakings with transcripts and the marks they would get. Many of the questions seem to want your opinions rather than factual knowledge so I'm hoping it'll be the same for the other boards :s-smilie:
Original post by sundae
Same I'm dreading it so much. I've been looking at other exam boards trying to find resources and AQA have recorded mock speakings with transcripts and the marks they would get. Many of the questions seem to want your opinions rather than factual knowledge so I'm hoping it'll be the same for the other boards :s-smilie:

I know that for Edexcel they wanna know more about your cultural understanding :frown: Where can I find the AQA mock speakings if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 11
I know that for Edexcel they wanna know more about your cultural understanding :frown: Where can I find the AQA mock speakings if you don’t mind me asking?

Oh no :frown: I'm really hoping they'll be lenient this year since we're the guinea pigs

It's on here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/as-and-a-level/french-7652/assessment-resources
''Speaking answers and commentary'' and then the sounds files are at the bottom :smile:
Yeah I’m hoping the overall grade boundaries will be a bit low too :frown: and thanks so much for the link, I really need to know what to expect 😅 hopefully I’ll scrape a C/B
Reply 13
Mine's in 4 hours and I actually want to sob 😂 So scared
Original post by sundae

Ah good luck! I really hope it goes well
Anyone here first year new linear Spanish Edexcel and doing their speaking next year and hahaha dreading it a little?
Reply 16
Ah good luck! I really hope it goes well

Thank you!
Original post by sundae

Good luck! I'm doing edexcel German and have mine soon, I'm terrified 😂
Yeah I’m hoping the overall grade boundaries will be a bit low too :frown: and thanks so much for the link, I really need to know what to expect 😅 hopefully I’ll scrape a C/B

They're usually mega high bc of the natives taking the exams, but I'm hoping they take that into account. The AS boundaries for last year were much lower for German tho, 65% for an A as opposed to 80, so there's still hope!
(edited 5 years ago)
Just make sure you now your IRP, and know topic specific vocabulary for the cards. You will be fine, if you need any help feel free to contact me. I would recommend you to practice with your classmates, that would be helpful and remember you also get marks for your critical stuff not just the Spanish

Quick Reply

Latest