The Student Room Group

Failing my final year at uni due to one assignment

I got this email yesterday. I'm in my final year. I missed my speaking exam the first time round. Then me and a few other students were asked to resit and i didn't attend that either. So i basically failed that piece of work for that module which was worth 50% the other 50% has been graded and passed. So does this email basically mean i won't be graduating ... 0.ODear student As we reach the period of final coursework deadlines and examinations, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my best wishes for a successful outcome. I also want to remind you that should you feel that your performance in or ability to complete any assessment has been affected by your personal circumstances (including ill health), you must use the extenuating circumstances (EC) procedure. The details of this procedure can be found at:https://www.hud.ac.uk/regs/ The University recognises that personal circumstances sometimes affect students' performance, and if this has been true for you this year, your School should be able to support you in making the necessary EC claim; if you prefer, however, the Back on Track service in Student Services can offer some assistance. Information on this can be found at Please bear in mind that an EC claim must be submitted by the regulatory deadlines (within 5-working days of the missed deadline) and must be supported by independent and acceptable evidence which is directly relevant to the dates and nature of the circumstances you describe in your claim. Please don't forget that the University operates a 'Fit to Sit Policy' for examinations - this means that by attending your examination, you are declaring yourself fit to take that assessment and any subsequent claim for an EC will not be approved. I would also like to remind you of two regulations; 1. Full-time undergraduate students must achieve at least 50 credits from this year's study by the end of the academic year to continue on their course. Should you fail to achieve 50 credits on your current course this year and not have approved extenuating circumstances you will fail your course and it is extremely unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer to another University course. The regulation regarding the achievement of a minimum of 50 credits also applies to part-time students at the point when they have finished a complete stage - i.e. having attempted all foundation-level modules or all intermediate-level modules or all honours-level modules. 2. A candidate's registration for an award of the University will be terminated if two academic years (including standard resit periods) elapse without the award of credit. Please note that a Results Surgery will take place from 19 June 2018. This will operate on a drop-in basis in the ... and is for students wishing to discuss their results and/or the possibility of submitting an appeal against the decision of the Course Assessment Board. Further information about the Results Surgery will be made available nearer the time. It should be noted that students wishing to receive feedback on their performance from academic staff, should speak with the Duty Tutor within their School. Academic feedback will not be provided at the Results Surgery. Once again, please accept my best wishes for the current round of assessment, and for your future. Kind Regards

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I got this email yesterday. I'm in my final year. I missed my speaking exam the first time round. Then me and a few other students were asked to resit and i didn't attend that either. So i basically failed that piece of work for that module which was worth 50% the other 50% has been graded and passed. So does this email basically mean i won't be graduating ... 0.ODear student As we reach the period of final coursework deadlines and examinations, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my best wishes for a successful outcome. I also want to remind you that should you feel that your performance in or ability to complete any assessment has been affected by your personal circumstances (including ill health), you must use the extenuating circumstances (EC) procedure. The details of this procedure can be found at:https://www.hud.ac.uk/regs/ The University recognises that personal circumstances sometimes affect students' performance, and if this has been true for you this year, your School should be able to support you in making the necessary EC claim; if you prefer, however, the Back on Track service in Student Services can offer some assistance. Information on this can be found at Please bear in mind that an EC claim must be submitted by the regulatory deadlines (within 5-working days of the missed deadline) and must be supported by independent and acceptable evidence which is directly relevant to the dates and nature of the circumstances you describe in your claim. Please don't forget that the University operates a 'Fit to Sit Policy' for examinations - this means that by attending your examination, you are declaring yourself fit to take that assessment and any subsequent claim for an EC will not be approved. I would also like to remind you of two regulations; 1. Full-time undergraduate students must achieve at least 50 credits from this year's study by the end of the academic year to continue on their course. Should you fail to achieve 50 credits on your current course this year and not have approved extenuating circumstances you will fail your course and it is extremely unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer to another University course. The regulation regarding the achievement of a minimum of 50 credits also applies to part-time students at the point when they have finished a complete stage - i.e. having attempted all foundation-level modules or all intermediate-level modules or all honours-level modules. 2. A candidate's registration for an award of the University will be terminated if two academic years (including standard resit periods) elapse without the award of credit. Please note that a Results Surgery will take place from 19 June 2018. This will operate on a drop-in basis in the ... and is for students wishing to discuss their results and/or the possibility of submitting an appeal against the decision of the Course Assessment Board. Further information about the Results Surgery will be made available nearer the time. It should be noted that students wishing to receive feedback on their performance from academic staff, should speak with the Duty Tutor within their School. Academic feedback will not be provided at the Results Surgery. Once again, please accept my best wishes for the current round of assessment, and for your future. Kind Regards

Why did you not attend the first exam and then not attend the resit?
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine

^ This ^
Reply 4

we had to do this big speaking conference thing and i have really bad anxiety with that sort of thing. I spoke to the tutor and she said i could do it in front of her and another tutor but i had to get a doctors note. I can't get a doctors note because i would struggle with explaining the situation to the doctor. Also, presenting in front of two tutors still seems daunting and i would just embarrass myself which i have done in the past which just makes it worse. I just don't like the thought of two people staring at me and only me for god knows how long. So i didn't attend either speaking exam now i'm screwed i spent like 4 years in uni and now they tell me i won't even be able to graduate loving life right now. I might as well not finish the dissertation i'm working on since i won't be graduating.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
^ This ^

I just responded to that question please read and judge my wise choices in life tnx :smile:
Reply 6
we had to do this big speaking conference thing and i have really bad anxiety with that sort of thing. I spoke to the tutor and she said i could do it in front of her and another tutor but i had to get a doctors note. I can't get a doctors note because i would struggle with explaining the situation to the doctor. Also, presenting in front of two tutors still seems daunting and i would just embarrass myself which i have done in the past which just makes it worse. I just don't like the thought of two people staring at me and only me for god knows how long. So i didn't attend either speaking exam now i'm screwed i spent like 4 years in uni and now they tell me i won't even be able to graduate loving life right now. I might as well not finish the dissertation i'm working on since i won't be graduating.

If you aren't officially diagnosed, what do you expect the University to do?

You did this to yourself, I'm sorry to say. You should have done the extenuating circumstances process with your uni and properly seen your doctor. There's nothing else anyone can say except that.
Reply 8
You did this to yourself, I'm sorry to say. You should have done the extenuating circumstances process with your uni and properly seen your doctor. There's nothing else anyone can say except that.

true do u think i will not be graduating then based on that email?
true do u think i will not be graduating then based on that email?

Well considering you didn't do a piece of work worth 50% I'd say it's likely. Why are you asking strangers on the internet though? You should be asking your university or the person who sent that email.
I think it's pretty clear what the email is saying.

And you can't just pick and choose which bits of work you want to do. That's not a good way to go through life.
Well considering you didn't do a piece of work worth 50% I'd say it's likely. Why are you asking strangers on the internet though? You should be asking your university or the person who sent that email.

aw man that sucks .. :frown: Because i've emailed them and waiting on their response so thought i'd ask online whilst i wait for a reply
Original post by Duncan2012
I think it's pretty clear what the email is saying.

And you can't just pick and choose which bits of work you want to do. That's not a good way to go through life.

True i made a stupid choice
aw man that sucks .. :frown: Because i've emailed them and waiting on their response so thought i'd ask online whilst i wait for a reply

Should have thought about how much it would suck a few months ago.
Should have thought about how much it would suck a few months ago.

true but 10/10 to you for being such a savage
Unless you've done something specific to distinctly pyss someone off 'behind the scenes', most universities will try to be accommodating. They want their students to achieve good grades. That's what makes the university more popular and attractive.

But... they can't do it without paperwork and evidence from your side. Otherwise external examiners and auditors will pick them apart.
true but 10/10 to you for being such a savage

I'm just being honest and realistic. There's no point telling you it'll be fine and it'll be okay, you did nothing wrong when you did and you know it. Actions have consequences and you're learning it the hard way. It's a shame but it's your reality at the moment.
I'm just being honest and realistic. There's no point telling you it'll be fine and it'll be okay, you did nothing wrong when you did and you know it. Actions have consequences and you're learning it the hard way. It's a shame but it's your reality at the moment.

yeah good point
Original post by NonIndigenous
Unless you've done something specific to distinctly pyss someone off 'behind the scenes', most universities will try to be accommodating. They want their students to achieve good grades. That's what makes the university more popular and attractive.

But... they can't do it without paperwork and evidence from your side. Otherwise external examiners and auditors will pick them apart.

i just came back to this thread to update you all... i received an email from the course leader and she said i just have to redo it. AND i asked if i could hand it in as a voice recorded presentation rather than have to present it and she said that was fine ! :smile: So i guess it kind of worked i didn't have to present the presentation and hopefully i will be graduation YAY!

i just came back to this thread to update you all... i received an email from the course leader and she said i just have to redo it. AND i asked if i could hand it in as a voice recorded presentation rather than have to present it and she said that was fine ! :smile: So i guess it kind of worked i didn't have to present the presentation and hopefully i will be graduation YAY!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending