The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University MSc Foundations in Clinical Psychology

I received a few offers from different schools throughout the UK but finally decided on Newcastle. I'm very excited, based on what the modules are on the website, but I don't really know much about the school or the program itself. I'm from the US and don't even know anything about the location.

First, I'd like to know how intensive the program is. The website says typically I'm in class two days a week for 12 hours per week combined with 28 hours of independent study. How does this fit in with the possibility of having a job and socializing? Is there anyone that has been in this program already that could tell me a little about it? I'm really interested in getting a job or internship as a research assistant, is that a possibility in the area?

What are some recommendations for student accommodation? Would you suggest going through the school or finding a private accommodation? I see there are many accommodation options through both these channels, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. I'd like to be somewhere where I can make friends, as I will know absolutely no one when I get to school.

Going off of that, what is the social life like? Are there lots of things to do in the area? What kind of clubs/societies exist at school?

I'm really looking forward to studying at Newcastle. The campus looks beautiful, and I know that I'm going to love it.
Original post by alleriom
I received a few offers from different schools throughout the UK but finally decided on Newcastle. I'm very excited, based on what the modules are on the website, but I don't really know much about the school or the program itself. I'm from the US and don't even know anything about the location.

First, I'd like to know how intensive the program is. The website says typically I'm in class two days a week for 12 hours per week combined with 28 hours of independent study. How does this fit in with the possibility of having a job and socializing? Is there anyone that has been in this program already that could tell me a little about it? I'm really interested in getting a job or internship as a research assistant, is that a possibility in the area?

What are some recommendations for student accommodation? Would you suggest going through the school or finding a private accommodation? I see there are many accommodation options through both these channels, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. I'd like to be somewhere where I can make friends, as I will know absolutely no one when I get to school.

Going off of that, what is the social life like? Are there lots of things to do in the area? What kind of clubs/societies exist at school?

I'm really looking forward to studying at Newcastle. The campus looks beautiful, and I know that I'm going to love it.

With masters programs they are quite intense so check with the uni if you can work. In most cases they discourage it and research assistant posts are not common without a PhD. You need to work out what works out cheapest and meets your needs. Usually it's private accommodation but either way you will make friends. Just be careful of being stung by bills not being included in your rent. You can find out more about student life through the SU.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

I'm visiting Newcastle today, I'll let you know how I find it :h:

Hi alleriom,

Wonderful to hear you’ll be coming to study with us (great choice!) 😊

Our student lead blog is a great place to check out what student life in Newcastle is all about, they cover everything from the city’s top attractions and events to the social scene and best places to eat or simply relax. You can find them here: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/category/student-blogs/newcastle/

I’d also take a look at our Youtube channel to get a better feel for the city visually (both our campus and city are indeed very beautiful!): https://www.youtube.com/user/NewcastleUniOfficial

You can find a list of all our societies here: https://www.nusu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/a-z/fullatoz/ There’s a society for just about anything and I’d highly recommend joining at least one when you arrive, it’s a great way to meet likeminded people! You can find contact details for them all on the above link too and they’ll be more than happy to answer any specific queries you have.

With regard to accommodation, I’d recommend choosing University managed halls for ease, as you know you’ll be in the same boat as your flatmates, being new to the city and looking to make friends. You can check out your options here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/university/postgraduate/. Alternatively, our Accommodation Services team also offer free advice on private accommodation, you can find more information and how to contact them here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/private/

And I’ve forwarded your course-related queries on to the school for you, I’ll be back in touch with their reply.

Hope this helps 😊

Susie

The campus is super beautiful.... it made me want to go back to uni. I love the contrast of the red brick with the trees. It's also very central to the city centre. I felt like the campus had really good vibes, I had to ask a few people for directions and people were so happy to help.

From what I could see there was also a lot of accommodation options i.e. on and around campus and in the city centre itself.
Reply 5
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi alleriom,

Wonderful to hear you’ll be coming to study with us (great choice!) 😊

Our student lead blog is a great place to check out what student life in Newcastle is all about, they cover everything from the city’s top attractions and events to the social scene and best places to eat or simply relax. You can find them here: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/category/student-blogs/newcastle/

I’d also take a look at our Youtube channel to get a better feel for the city visually (both our campus and city are indeed very beautiful!): https://www.youtube.com/user/NewcastleUniOfficial

You can find a list of all our societies here: https://www.nusu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/a-z/fullatoz/ There’s a society for just about anything and I’d highly recommend joining at least one when you arrive, it’s a great way to meet likeminded people! You can find contact details for them all on the above link too and they’ll be more than happy to answer any specific queries you have.

With regard to accommodation, I’d recommend choosing University managed halls for ease, as you know you’ll be in the same boat as your flatmates, being new to the city and looking to make friends. You can check out your options here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/university/postgraduate/. Alternatively, our Accommodation Services team also offer free advice on private accommodation, you can find more information and how to contact them here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/private/

And I’ve forwarded your course-related queries on to the school for you, I’ll be back in touch with their reply.

Hope this helps 😊

Susie

Thank you! This information is super helpful. I look forward to hearing back about course information!
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra
The campus is super beautiful.... it made me want to go back to uni. I love the contrast of the red brick with the trees. It's also very central to the city centre. I felt like the campus had really good vibes, I had to ask a few people for directions and people were so happy to help.

From what I could see there was also a lot of accommodation options i.e. on and around campus and in the city centre itself.

Thanks for the information! The campus does look beautiful based on the pictures I've seen.

Hi alleriom,

One of our current students, Courtney (who also happens to be an international student from the US!), has written a little reply to your course queries:

‘In terms of how intensive the course is I would describe it as being as intensive as you put effort forth. It’s a lot of individual studying, writing essays and work that can be time consuming. I would say the work for this course all has a purpose which is good but as far as intensity you will get the grade based on how much time you dedicate to it. By that I mean that you can get decent grades by just going to class, but it’s what you do outside of class days that will get you the better grades and success.

This course has an amazing schedule. So far I have only had classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is nice so you can study the other days and/or travel and relax which is very nice.

In terms of internship opportunities, our program director is very good at forwarding opportunities to the whole program, but I would say that as an international student it’s all about the connections you make. At least that has been my experience!

Overall I have been super happy with this course and all that I have done so far. Hope this helps!’

Susie 😊

Quick Reply