The Student Room Group

RS 12 markers

Any responses would be appreciated. So I keep achieving around 10 marks on the 12 markers without revision but when I go to revise I still feel like my answers won't get 12 marks. I'll briefly write an answer to the question "It is impossible to discuss God meaningfully. Discuss( 12 Marks). Then you can judge the rough amount of marks it's worth. And any constructive criticism would be nice!

A Christian may argue it is completely possible to discuss God meaningfully, their basis would be The bible and the creation story in particular reveals many of Gods qualities. For example, God creating the Universe and Earth shows he's omnipotent, God creating Humankind and gifting us the planet Earth shows he's benevolent and finally God is eternal he created time and existed prior to it.
However, it could be argued the Bible has many stories that don't make sense and seem ludicrous. These such stories include Noah's Ark, The fall and the creation story. The fact these stories seem so ludicrous and that there's so many of them demeans a lot of the Information it gives such as the qualities of God. Therefore meaning you can talk about Gods so called qualities but it won't be meaningful.
Others, most likely would argue we can see God's power (omnipotence),(benevolence) and work within the world and the universe. For example Thomas Aquinas' first cause theory and the universe existing today., also the watchmakers analogy and the Earth also being here today.
However, there are problems with this viewpoint due to the existence of evil. Mackie's theory states Evil,God being benevolent and omnipotent can't coexist this is because a loving God wouldn't allow Evil. In addition, God is greater than Humans therefore he is too complex for humans to understand.
Finally, I think the strongest argument is that it is impossible to meaningfully discuss God because he is simply not Human and is too complex for our brains to understand, and if you can't understand something fully you can't meaningfully talk about said thing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SchoolIsokay
Any responses would be appreciated. So I keep achieving around 10 marks on the 12 markers without revision but when I go to revise I still feel like my answers won't get 12 marks. I'll briefly write an answer to the question "It is impossible to discuss God meaningfully. Discuss( 12 Marks). Then you can judge the rough amount of marks it's worth. And any constructive criticism would be nice!

A Christian may argue it is completely possible to discuss God meaningfully, their basis would be The bible and the creation story in particular reveals many of Gods qualities. For example, God creating the Universe and Earth shows he's omnipotent, God creating Humankind and gifting us the planet Earth shows he's benevolent and finally God is eternal he created time and existed prior to it.
However, it could be argued the Bible has many stories that don't make sense and seem ludicrous. These such stories include Noah's Ark, The fall and the creation story. The fact these stories seem so ludicrous and that there's so many of them demeans a lot of the Information it gives such as the qualities of God. Therefore meaning you can talk about Gods so called qualities but it won't be meaningful.
Others, most likely would argue we can see God's power (omnipotence),(benevolence) and work within the world and the universe. For example Thomas Aquinas' first cause theory and the universe existing today., also the watchmakers analogy and the Earth also being here today.
However, there are problems with this viewpoint due to the existence of evil. Mackie's theory states Evil,God being benevolent and omnipotent can't coexist this is because a loving God wouldn't allow Evil. In addition, God is greater than Humans therefore he is too complex for humans to understand.
Finally, I think the strongest argument is that it is impossible to meaningfully discuss God because he is simply not Human and is too complex for our brains to understand, and if you can't understand something fully you can't meaningfully talk about said thing.

I think you should end your essay with “in conclusion” personally, “finally...” just sounds like you’re finishing listing points
As much as you’ve referenced to bible stories etc you haven’t used any quotes, these would enhance your work.
Fully develop all your paragraphs through the PEEL structure (particularly more analysis and explanations)
Original post by lydiarutharnold
I think you should end your essay with “in conclusion” personally, “finally...” just sounds like you’re finishing listing points
As much as you’ve referenced to bible stories etc you haven’t used any quotes, these would enhance your work.

Thanks, I did want to finish with "In conclusion" but I felt as if it is used to often. But in future essays I'll use it.
Hey. I'm taking RS and am currently working at a grade 8/9. So far this academic year, in RS tests I've always got 12/12 on the 12 markers.

If you need any help DM me and I'll give you some good tips. I've got a brilliant structure that if you follow it almost guarantees you 12 marks- it's somewhere on my computer lost... I'll try and find it! :colondollar:
Original post by s.m30
Hey. I'm taking RS and am currently working at a grade 8/9. So far this academic year, in RS tests I've always got 12/12 on the 12 markers.

If you need any help DM me and I'll give you some good tips. I've got a brilliant structure that if you follow it almost guarantees you 12 marks- it's somewhere on my computer lost... I'll try and find it! :colondollar:

How do I DM?
Point, quote, expand, this is a strong/ weak argument, I agree/ disagree, this is similar to the quote 'insert quote' because...

Repeat 5/6 times in the exam (with different quotes/ arguments obviously.)

12/12.

Hey, so I recently asked my rs teacher if quotes were needed he said they weren't as long as it's a relevant reference. Are you sure it would enhance my work significantly?
Hey, so I recently asked my rs teacher if quotes were needed he said they weren't as long as it's a relevant reference. Are you sure it would enhance my work significantly?

Ah okay, I guess not :smile:) depends on the question I guess
Ah okay, I guess not :smile:) depends on the question I guess

Actually, you need to have quotes to unlock access to 12 marks - without them, its much harder to satisfy the criteria.
You dont have to give a reference either.
Original post by s.m30
Point, quote, expand, this is a strong/ weak argument, I agree/ disagree, this is similar to the quote 'insert quote' because...

Repeat 5/6 times in the exam (with different quotes/ arguments obviously.)

12/12.

Hi, is there any chance you could send one of your 12 mark answers? IT would be INCREDIBLY helpful :smile: Or, at least just take one paragraph from an answer which demonstrates the structuring of your arguments?
Original post by conanq
Hi, is there any chance you could send one of your 12 mark answers? IT would be INCREDIBLY helpful :smile: Or, at least just take one paragraph from an answer which demonstrates the structuring of your arguments?

Sure. PM me and I'll send one across. :colondollar:
Original post by TakreemAhmad
Actually, you need to have quotes to unlock access to 12 marks - without them, its much harder to satisfy the criteria.
You dont have to give a reference either.

Link me to where it specifically says about that... I searched into it more and the Exam board for me Aqa states all that is need is some form of religious reference.
Original post by s.m30
Sure. PM me and I'll send one across. :colondollar:

I sent u a pm.
Original post by username3753020

This structure sounds like something I need hahaha x would honestly appreciate it millions if you could send it to meeeee x
Original post by indiapaige
This structure sounds like something I need hahaha x would honestly appreciate it millions if you could send it to meeeee x

lmao gotta say you're late!! Good luck getting it from them. I wish you luck! In case they don't reply all you really need is an intro ( definition). two to three well-developed points to answer the question the sum it up with a conclusion adding little extra more to the point.
Reply 16
Original post by username3753020

Hi could you help me with mine I’m also so lost I either write too little or too much or don’t even include a quote
you could also say that god is transcendental this means that he is beyond our knowledge and we never fully understand him.

Reply 18
For added marks you would need to include few direct quotations as evidence for example you mention the creation story, but you did not mention which groups/religious groups believe in the creation story. for example,
hi there, i struggle on writing 12/12 answers. please could you help. sending an example of your own would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending