The Student Room Group

Graduate applying for 5 year standard entry medicine

Hi,

I’m sure this has already been answered but I can’t find the thread.

Can I ask what funding options there are for graduates with 5 year standard entry medicine offers?

I already hold a BSc and MSc, and am hoping to get a place on the King’s A100 course.
Is it true there is no chance of a student loan in this situation?

Cheers.
Original post by gradmedic123
Hi,

Can I ask what funding options there are for graduates with 5 year standard entry medicine offers?

I already hold a BSc and MSc, and am hoping to get a place on the King’s A100 course.

Cheers.

Hi gradmedic123,

If you already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification will still be eligible for Maintenance Loan support (as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA support if applicable) if their new course leads to a qualification as a Medical Doctor.

If you are studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course.

For the first 4 years you will be eligible for a maintenance loan only as undergraduate medicine being studied as a second degree.

In the 5th and subsequent years of study you are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from Student Finance England.Regards Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi gradmedic123,

If you already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification will still be eligible for Maintenance Loan support (as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA support if applicable) if their new course leads to a qualification as a Medical Doctor.

If you are studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course.

For the first 4 years you will be eligible for a maintenance loan only as undergraduate medicine being studied as a second degree.

In the 5th and subsequent years of study you are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from Student Finance England.Regards Rona

Thanks so much for your reply, Rona.

This is good to know, thank you. Do you know how much maintenance loan id be eligible for? I’ll probably be living at home and so it’ll mostly go towards paying my fees, so the more the better!

Cheers.
Thanks so much for your reply, Rona.

This is good to know, thank you. Do you know how much maintenance loan id be eligible for? I’ll probably be living at home and so it’ll mostly go towards paying my fees, so the more the better!

Cheers.

Hi gradmedic123,

The amount you can receive depends on various factors.

Can I ask where you will be studying/ living, whether you are married/living with a partner and what age are you ?

Thanks Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi gradmedic123,

The amount you can receive depends on various factors.

Can I ask where you will be studying/ living, whether you are married/living with a partner and what age are you ?

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona,

Will hopefully be studying at King’s college - 5 year standard entry. I am 22 (23 when course starts). I’m currently living in London with my girlfriend. However, I may move back in with my parents (Enfield, London) to free up funds for med school

Thanks
Hi Rona,

Will hopefully be studying at King’s college - 5 year standard entry. I am 22 (23 when course starts). I’m currently living in London with my girlfriend. However, I may move back in with my parents (Enfield, London) to free up funds for med school

Thanks

Hi gradmedic123

Thanks for that information, as I advised how much you may receive depends on different factors.

A student will qualify for the 'London Rate' of Maintenance Loan if they are living away from their parental home and attends one or more of the following:-
(i) A course at the University of London; (ii) An institution which requires attendance at a site wholly or partly within the area comprising the City of London and the former Metropolitan Police District;
(iii) A placement at a site or sites wholly or partly within the area comprising the City of London and the former Metropolitan Police District. The placement must be part of a 'sandwich course' before the London Rate can be awarded.
If you move home you will be assessed as living with parents.
Under current Student Finance England/Wales regulations you will be classed as a Dependent Student until the age of 25, that means we would assess you your parents household income.
A student under 25 can be assessed as independent if,
You are under 25 and married before the start of the academic year (1st September)

You have care of a person under the age of 18 on the first day of the academic year?

You can provide 3 years evidence of Self Support,
(Full evidence required showing you have supported yourself financially for 36 months prior to the start of your course) - the 3 years self support does not need to be consecutive years.*

If any of the above apply to you, send evidence of your independent status along with your application.

If your independent evidence is accepted, we'll assess you without taking your parents income into account and your award would be based on your own circumstances.

*If you are under 25, supported yourself for more than 3 years and currently living with a partner, your partner will not need to support your application unless you are married.

Let me know how much of this applies to you and I will be able to give you an indication what you may be entitled to

Thanks Rona
Thanks again.

Under those circumstances I would not be deemed independent. I am 22, unmarried and living and, for arguments sake, will be living a home with my parents at the start of the course.
My parents are both retired.

Cheers.
Thanks again.

Under those circumstances I would not be deemed independent. I am 22, unmarried and living and, for arguments sake, will be living a home with my parents at the start of the course.
My parents are both retired.

Cheers.

Hi gradmedic123,

You will then be entitled to receive a meanstested Maintenance Loan between £3224 - £7324 based on your parents household income.

In the years that you are eligible to receive the NHS bursary, you will receive the Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance.

To estimate your entitlement, here is a link to The Student Finance Calculator,

https://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Regards Rona
Reply 8
What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking ?
Doing my MSc atm. ABB in geog, Chem, biology respectively. 2:2 in biomed. 690 in UKCAT.

Hope that helps.
Awesome! Did you get the Kings offer?
Hi,

Cheers.

Use your maintenance loan to pay your tuition fees
Yeah that was the plan!
Doing my MSc atm. ABB in geog, Chem, biology respectively. 2:2 in biomed. 690 in UKCAT.

Hope that helps.

Where did you study biomed?
Original post by Chez231
Awesome! Did you get the Kings offer?

I did yeah. Conditional of 65% in my MSc
I did yeah. Conditional of 65% in my MSc

Did they look much at your A levels ? I’m on my second year of Biomed on track for a 1:1 , but pretty dead A levels , if I manage to get a decent UKCAT I’m hoping to get a spot on the 5 year A100
Yeah that was the plan!

How do you plan to find the remaining shortfall?
Original post by Biomed1018
Where did you study biomed?

(Sorry for the delay) UEA. Graduated 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending