The Student Room Group

Anyone thinking of getting a PPL?

Hi, was just wondering if anyone else was thinking of getting a PPL (Private Pilots License) like me. Probably after I've got my PPL, I will study towards getting my CPL (Commercial Pilots License) and so on :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am thinking of a PPL, not just yet of course but it will be a great addition to my life when I finish my degree! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Steljoy
I am thinking of a PPL, not just yet of course but it will be a great addition to my life when I finish my degree! :h:

Like with many other people, the hardest thing is the finances of funding the course. Thinking after I've got my PPL, I will just go for the Modular CPL and save myself some money, with there still a chance of being a commercial pilot :smile:
Not completely off the radar, depends on how the future folds out.
Reply 4
Original post by ReadySalted28
Not completely off the radar, depends on how the future folds out.

Same for me, just a plan, whether not it happens I don't know. Do you have a plan? :smile:
Reply 5
Nah.
Original post by Joshkav
Same for me, just a plan, whether not it happens I don't know. Do you have a plan? :smile:

Plan is Go uni. Work. Make enough income to travel/or pilot training instead if I think I can do it.

However with marriage, buy a house, kids?, other stuff for future. I don't wanna blow 100k if it doesnt happen. Also I have other plans for future which means it clashes quite a bit :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by ReadySalted28
Plan is Go uni. Work. Make enough income to travel/or pilot training instead if I think I can do it.

However with marriage, buy a house, kids?, other stuff for future. I don't wanna blow 100k if it doesnt happen. Also I have other plans for future which means it clashes quite a bit :frown:

If you really want it, then you can do it. At the very least, I want to get my PPL and it is not that dear either, ranging from 7k to 10k, including fees. It may be that I don't fly commercially until I'm 40, but as long as I get there, then I don't mind. A lot of people rush and think they have to do everything whilst they are young, but this is not always the case. Just have to wait and see what happens in either of our lives :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Joshkav
Like with many other people, the hardest thing is the finances of funding the course. Thinking after I've got my PPL, I will just go for the Modular CPL and save myself some money, with there still a chance of being a commercial pilot :smile:

Very smart move, Poland is yout best bet check out wings alliance :wink: hope to see you in the flight deck soon

Halil
Reply 9
Original post by Joshkav
If you really want it, then you can do it. At the very least, I want to get my PPL and it is not that dear either, ranging from 7k to 10k, including fees. It may be that I don't fly commercially until I'm 40, but as long as I get there, then I don't mind. A lot of people rush and think they have to do everything whilst they are young, but this is not always the case. Just have to wait and see what happens in either of our lives :smile:

You can do modular as quick or QUICKER than intergrated, 40 ? Come on man 23 if you stay focused. The reason I say quicker is because you have control over your training.

Good luck, halil
Reply 10
Original post by azhal
You can do modular as quick or QUICKER than intergrated, 40 ? Come on man 23 if you stay focused. The reason I say quicker is because you have control over your training.

Good luck, halil

I wasn't saying it would take that long, as I was just saying it in the way that if money issues presented themselves in the future, then I wouldn't mind delaying becoming a pilot. The sooner the better, I agree. Just depends how finances pan out. Looking at possibly getting my house remortgaged, if allowed once I've built up a descent credit history and have a descent job.

P.S. Currently training for my PPL now, 15 hours in at the moment :smile:
I think getting the PPL or PPL(H) is relatively 'easy' - doing the required number of hours each year is the difficult bit. It's not like a driving license where you just do it once and that's it.
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
I think getting the PPL or PPL(H) is relatively 'easy' - doing the required number of hours each year is the difficult bit. It's not like a driving license where you just do it once and that's it.

If your going for fATPL like me, then you don't have much of a choice but to try your hardest to smash out the hours. It may be difficult at times for some people I agree. As I said in the last post, I plan on remortgaging, so cost for doing the hours shouldn't be a problem for me personally. I know others may struggle :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Joshkav
I wasn't saying it would take that long, as I was just saying it in the way that if money issues presented themselves in the future, then I wouldn't mind delaying becoming a pilot. The sooner the better, I agree. Just depends how finances pan out. Looking at possibly getting my house remortgaged, if allowed once I've built up a descent credit history and have a descent job.

P.S. Currently training for my PPL now, 15 hours in at the moment :smile:

don't get into debt for a few licences man. check out bartaloni flight school in Poland many uk pilots go there to get there CPL IR ME MCC/JOC its cheap to stay there and they're EASA approved. many have gone on to airlines like Jet2 and FR. my two pence of thought

halil
Reply 14
Original post by azhal
don't get into debt for a few licences man. check out bartaloni flight school in Poland many uk pilots go there to get there CPL IR ME MCC/JOC its cheap to stay there and they're EASA approved. many have gone on to airlines like Jet2 and FR. my two pence of thought

halil

Yeah already know about all the options there is. Preferably want to stay in the UK though, but see what happens, may change. No chance of me getting debt to say the least, watched my mother struggle when I was younger with debt. I generally buy everything on my credit card, then pay off in full every month just to build up a good credit history and to hopefully work in favour on getting a decent loan in the future :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Joshkav
Yeah already know about all the options there is. Preferably want to stay in the UK though, but see what happens, may change. No chance of me getting debt to say the least, watched my mother struggle when I was younger with debt. I generally buy everything on my credit card, then pay off in full every month just to build up a good credit history and to hopefully work in favour on getting a decent loan in the future :smile:

okay final point/option....work for a bit save every dime (make sure you can eat ect) save 50% of the course then get a loan for the other 50% that way the repayments wont cripple you or affect you family

keep the blue side up

halil
Reply 16
Original post by azhal
okay final point/option....work for a bit save every dime (make sure you can eat ect) save 50% of the course then get a loan for the other 50% that way the repayments wont cripple you or affect you family

keep the blue side up

halil

Still live at home and mother doesn't charge me anything. So all the money I make from work is to save/keep anyway. I already own the house I live in, so can use that to remortgage or possibly sell. Depends how I feel in the future. Already work for Jet2 at MAN, so this works in my favour I suppose :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by azhal

keep the blue side up

halil

Able to put away around £1,500 a month into my flying every month. So already have a good amount of savings to fall back on if needs be :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Joshkav
Still live at home and mother doesn't charge me anything. So all the money I make from work is to save/keep anyway. I already own the house I live in, so can use that to remortgage or possibly sell. Depends how I feel in the future. Already work for Jet2 at MAN, so this works in my favour I suppose :smile:

man I don't even know why I'm suggesting things you seem to have the same mind set as me it always helps having parents who support the bug we have for flying keep me posted on your progress!
Reply 19
Original post by azhal
man I don't even know why I'm suggesting things you seem to have the same mind set as me it always helps having parents who support the bug we have for flying keep me posted on your progress!

Will do, thanks for you help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest