The Student Room Group

AQA A level Physics new spec

does anyone feel confident that they will get an A in A-level physics new specification if you do do you have any tips for me because I don't feel very confident at all
What topics have you done so far and what do you have left . Optional module ? As or 2?
Original post by Angels1234
What topics have you done so far and what do you have left . Optional module ? As or 2?

I'm doing A2 and my option module is astrophysics.
Today i did a test on AS and it was disgusting like i'll be surprised if i passed but it seems like the questions that they give arent very similar to the past paper questions and i have flash cards on everything but astro cause i just started that but i dont seem to know anything or how to answer a question when i get the paper
Original post by Instrumentali
I'm doing A2 and my option module is astrophysics.
Today i did a test on AS and it was disgusting like i'll be surprised if i passed but it seems like the questions that they give arent very similar to the past paper questions and i have flash cards on everything but astro cause i just started that but i dont seem to know anything or how to answer a question when i get the paper

Have you tried using last years questions for Astro ?
Have you tried using last years questions for Astro ?

nah because i havent learnt it yet we just started it last week and we are still on telescopes
What resources do u use for Astro like textbooks ? I do medical so I can’t help with Astro but I can help with any other topics you are stuck on :smile:
What resources do u use for Astro like textbooks ? I do medical so I can’t help with Astro but I can help with any other topics you are stuck on :smile:

how do you prepare and feel confident for the exam thats what i really need to know because after the test i had i dont feel very confident and i have a practice paper 2 test next tuesday and i dont think im ready
What topics was ur test on ?
i don't do a levels, i'm doing GCSEs at the moment, but how difficult is it to get an A* in A level physics?
Original post by ninja_uchiha
i don't do a levels, i'm doing GCSEs at the moment, but how difficult is it to get an A* in A level physics?

less than 20% of the population can get an A* in physics A level for AQA.i'm struggling and i got full marks in gcse physics.
i feel like i work well with past papers and in the new specification there isnt that many with the same format or the same things we do because a lot of the spec changed and some things got removed and some things were added
Original post by ninja_uchiha

Very! The practical paper tends to stump the best students who do well on the second paper, and people who don't do well on the second paper SOMETIMES are okay on the practical paper. If you dedicate yourself, totally, and find your other two/three a levels easy to moderate, I'd say yes you can get an A*. My advice when you start your A-levels is read ahead of the spec, understand where equations are derived from, practise the theory thoroughly first, and finally use the specification and past exam papers to understand how mark schemes are written and what they tend to ask you on. That's what my boyfriend essentially does and he takes 4 A-levels, and he's the best at physics in the college (Been accepted into UCL for a masters in physics). But even he found the practical paper a stinker and some of the A2 questions, but he put that down to some issues in revision. So just beware, it's going to be difficult to keep the right mindset and be resilient. The issue with the new spec, and why I might be dropping physics, is that there isn't a bucket load of revision material that is totoally representative of how challenging the real papers are. For example, biology you can just use the old spec questions and do just fine. You can't do this for physics, the question type has changed too dramatically. This is my experience of physics and what a handful of the top physics students also have thought. As long as you are ready to commit, be resilient and don't give up, you'll be okay. But in answer to your question, yes, it is!
Also, I take A-level Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths ..

Quick Reply

Latest