The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*pitseleh*
Heh, I live by Ely Bridge, too. :p: Amusingly enough, Grand Avenue is probably one of the safer parts of Ely main - I'd say the big estate up the top of Wilson Road is the place to really avoid.. you go up there, and loads of the houses have boards and bars on the windows to deter intruders thanks to the high frequency of break-ins. :s-smilie: Fortunately, that's miles out of the way for any students, anyway.

Chippy Lane really isn't that bad.. it's just rather greasy. Sounds like you've had unfortunate experiences of it, but on the whole it's just what you'd expect from a lane in the centre of town that's lined with fast food places - people go there when drunk, and end up fighting. It's best to avoid it or - if you must go - to be cautious at night, but during the day it's absolutely fine.

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for Chippy Lane, since I witnessed someone I really, truly loathe walking down there and getting caught in the nads by one of the bollards. That is rather mean, I know.. but I do have pretty compelling reasons for despising this person. :p:

Canton really isn't that rough! :eek: You have the Pontcanna/Llandaff side, (i.e. one side of Canton backs onto two of the nicest parts of the city) and you have the Riverside/Grangetown side, which isn't so nice, but it's not terrible - certainly nowhere near as bad as Grangetown itself.

Chippy Lane is a poor representation of how rough Cardiff can be - though, as mentioned above, the main areas where trouble is "the norm" are quite far from the studenty areas. Butetown isn't so bad in terms of violent crime; it is one of the red-light areas, though, so it doesn't have the best reputation.

Other than that - as mentioned in the post above, all parts of Cardiff can be rough/. Whilst areas such as Cathays and Roath don't have a particular reputation for violent crime, assaults and murders can and do happen there from time to time, so don't assume that you're automatically safe in those areas. And even if the violent crime rate isn't very high - the petty crime rates certainly are.

One other place I should probably mention is the Sophia Gardens/Bute Park/Cooper's Field area (the big green space behind Cardiff Castle). Way too many people walk through there of a night, thinking it's safe because it's close to town and it's a well-kept, pretty place. The reality of it is that it's a poorly-lit area where there are very few - if any - people around to help you if you get into trouble. It's okay in daylight (though I'd still avoid the Trail unless you're in company, because it's secluded and well-known for muggings) but I would say you should avoid it like the plague after dark.

Couldn't agree with you more! :yep:

Anywhere you go , you can potentially run into trouble. Some places are said to be more notorious reputation than others but I've known trouble to go on at Heath park, muggings at knifepoint Roath Park and Roath Rec , even Llanishen has had its fair share of trouble!

As long as your street smart you should be aright!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Adam-Cardiff
I think we're being a bit wimpish and severe saying that nowhere is safe to tread. You're never completely safe from crime but there are places where you'll get mugged and harrassed in the street fairly reliably and there are places where it won't happen. Let's all not act like we're in a safety video for primary school children and use some brains.

Don't be absurd - no-one said "nowhere is safe to tread". However, it's pretty stupid to assume that crime simply doesn't happen in some parts of the city.

We're all well aware that some places have a reputation for being safer than others... however, by suggesting that Cathays, for example, is a "safe" place, people may assume that they can just let their guard down when walking through there because they believe nothing could happen to them, which simply - and sadly - isn't true.
Reply 22
*pitseleh*

Heh, I live by Ely Bridge, too. :p: Amusingly enough, Grand Avenue is probably one of the safer parts of Ely main - I'd say the big estate up the top of Wilson Road is the place to really avoid.. you go up there, and loads of the houses have boards and bars on the windows to deter intruders thanks to the high frequency of break-ins. :s-smilie: Fortunately, that's miles out of the way for any students, anyway.

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for Chippy Lane, since I witnessed someone I really, truly loathe walking down there and getting caught in the nads by one of the bollards. That is rather mean, I know.. but I do have pretty compelling reasons for despising this person. :p:

=] The Lucky Chef Chinese takeaway on Ely Bridge is the best! And what you said about Wilson Road is so very, very true. I remember when my friend moved from Ascot Close by Trelai park to Wilson Road during the first week there they were burgled. I like my house/location, despite the reputation I'm going to miss it!

And that comment about getting hit in the nads - it made my day! Hahaha. I think seeing that would change my opinion on chippy lane a little =]
PaleAle
=] The Lucky Chef Chinese takeaway on Ely Bridge is the best! And what you said about Wilson Road is so very, very true. I remember when my friend moved from Ascot Close by Trelai park to Wilson Road during the first week there they were burgled. I like my house/location, despite the reputation I'm going to miss it!

And that comment about getting hit in the nads - it made my day! Hahaha. I think seeing that would change my opinion on chippy lane a little =]

The Lucky Chef is AWESOME! :biggrin:

I was feeling pretty annoyed after I spotted the person in question, and I honestly felt like Chippy Lane came to my rescue by thwacking him with its bollards. :laugh: It really made my day at the time, too. Glad to have amused you. :wink:

Edit: and thank-you for the rep! :smile:
Heh, this is making Cardiff seem a bit scary :ninja: but it's probably no different to Birmingham, I'm just so used to B'ham that I don't even think about which areas you should avoid, because I know where to not go and whatever. Same with my hometown, Redditch, which is rough as anything.
Anyone know what Pentwyn area is like? My mum wants us to move there, but she's never actually been there before :s
Reply 26
I'm from Liverpool originally - in my entire first year at Cardiff I had TWO spats with dickheads who roam the streets looking for trouble (both of these times where in Pen-y-lan). I had about triple that on my first week back in Liverpool.
Go to Grangetown Clare Road if you want cheap take out thats good and also theres a sports village at the end of it if you catch the number 9 which will take you through grangetown and drop you next to the swimming pool.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 28
Ely is not rough I was brought up in roath and cathays and owned another property in splott. I moved from these areas because of the drugs and serious assaults. I now live in Ely and have lived here for quite a few years and have had no problem the reason Ely has a bad name is because of the riots 30 yrs ago. I can afford to live anywhere in Cardiff so choose to live here. So if you have never lived in Ely keep your comments to yourselfs. Check the police crime area site.
Reply 29
adam you clearly know nothing literally are you retarded? fairwater=rough.theres only a little posh area which is ok thats about it
heath=well known for drug selling

you say rumney is ok yet across the road from the vale of glamorgan college is the roughest estate around the area
ely probably more than half the people probably have bigger pay checks than you.
your probably some stuck up college kid wrapped up in cotton wool all there lives,thinks hes hard and thinks hes cool well news flash your wrong wrong wrong :smile: go see the real world retard ohhh and roath hmmmm strange how there is a hostel at the end of claude road ! (student area as you already stated) so no roath aint posh on top of that its infested with migrants so only speak when you have a proper insight on the world pal :wink:
Al ov i' , ma mam gut shenk'd Yday an shee wer shoppping in cardiff
Reply 31
a mate who is not a student pays £1100 a month for a one bed place on dumballs road it is nice but nosy traffic dreadful cop cars back and forth the police station all night . Constant fighting there at night. Yes mermaid quay is around the corner bit so is the worse council estate in cardiff Loudoun Sq !

If you waolk through coopers field at night ..HOW ??? the gates to that area are locked dusk till dawn you have to climb over walls and is a massive gay cruising for sex area it it well known. for that in the city as ia all Bute park . Loads of queer bashers go there for sport ! Nowhere the trail can take you that a taxi cannot !
Reply 32
Other areas , Agree parts of canton are okay look ar Romily road, kings road victoria park area , , main shopping street a bit scruffy though . like other areas Cuncoed can ne urber posh or well , next the llanedyrn estate which is urber rough. old St mellons good esp near the golf course new st mellons as rough as glass paper.

Ely , well just do not go there . if you catch a bus that travels through there sit in an aisle seat incase of kids throwing bricks . lock doors if in a car as you may have to stop at traffic lights very rough. Lads where chav gear and their dogs abd their door keys have one thing in common , both on a steel chain ! BMW and satellite dish dish outside the houses and all know their rights they " dose "

Whitchurch , heath , Rhiwbina , lisvane . parts of Cyncoed , roath park , pontcanna , birchgove, all nice .

If rental in the city is to much then Barry is only a 30 min trai ride away . has 3 train stations , Barry island barry town and barrry docks. island is hit and miss docks is a the same , lots of redevelopement . the town station ( which is out of town the best area near Romilly park are . DO NOT go to Cadaxton area . Again only 20 mind from the city centre is the town of Bridgend . People here tend to put a negative spin on theit area but some cracking places . The town centre is rubbish and very run down . empty shops and pubs but a massive asda , two tescos aldi , lidle just out of town, nice country pubs close by . very good train and bus service to Cardiff and swansea . Places to avaoid ther would be Sarn , wildmill and Bettws.
Reply 33
Just so you tho Cardiff has some of the highest crime rates in the UK apart from the five big big English cities there is nowhere with as much crime I checked out of curiosity because my daughter moved there.
Reply 34
Wales is fine and no problems except for thieves. No guns in Cardiff
Reply 35
U

Original post by Adam-Cardiff
Cardiff is a pretty safe city and the main student areas (Cathays, Roath, Penylan) aren't plagued by the chav menace that some other cities are. The areas which have a deservedly bad reputation for crime and disorder are:

Ely - way out in the west of the city, plagued by white trash, no student ever need go there

Gabalfa/Mynachdy - near to Talybont, students still don't go there

Butetown - crime-ridden urban area between town and The Bay - the buses and trains will drop you safely at either end

Llanederyn - rhymes with Kick Yer Head In - miles from any students

St Mellons - yet another white trash council estate, students rarely spotted

Splott, Canton, Adamsdown, Riverside, Grangetown and Llandaff North have both good and bad areas - the discerning eye will be able to tell between.

You should feel completely safe going to Llandaff, Fairwater, St Fagans, Whitchurch, Pantmawr, Heath, Rhiwbina, Pontprennau, Llanishen, Lisvane, Birchgrove, Tongwynlais, Cyncoed and Rumney (although not Llanrumney).

The city centre pubs and bars are nice and unthreatening, although some (like Jumpin' Jaks on Naked Tuesdays) may get a fluctuating reputation for scumminess. Don't go to the Maindy or Master Gunner near Talybont, the Blackweir is cheaper and safer.

White trash??? Discusting u should be ashamed

Latest

Trending

Trending