The Student Room Group

Medic Insight 2018

Hi :smile:

Thought I would start a page for those looking to go to Medic Insight this year!

Has anyone on here sent off their application?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there!
I have applied for the Edinburgh one - fingers crossed!
I sent my application away nine minutes before the deadline so I was cutting it a bit fine, but I wanted it to be as good as I could make it. It’s ages until we hear tho so it’s just a bit a waiting game...
How’s the rest of your application going? Have you managed to get any other work experience/volunteering? :smile:
Original post by K8e.H
Hi there!
I have applied for the Edinburgh one - fingers crossed!
I sent my application away nine minutes before the deadline so I was cutting it a bit fine, but I wanted it to be as good as I could make it. It’s ages until we hear tho so it’s just a bit a waiting game...
How’s the rest of your application going? Have you managed to get any other work experience/volunteering? :smile:

Hi! :smile:
Ah Edinburgh! I hope you get your place! - I applied for Glasgow.
Haha wow, that is near the deadline, but if you've spent the time making your application amazing then that's only going to strengthen your chances of getting a place! That's so true! I sort of wish we could receive some information sooner! My application went well apart from I had a little trouble getting my teacher to do my reference, my eventually got it sent away. No I haven't been able to get any other experience so that's why this really stood out for me as an amazing opportunity! How about yourself? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by MedTalksWithJoy
Hi! :smile:
Ah Edinburgh! I hope you get your place! - I applied for Glasgow.
Haha wow, that is near the deadline, but if you've spent the time making your application amazing then that's only going to strengthen your chances of getting a place! That's so true! I sort of wish we could receive some information sooner! My application went well apart from I had a little trouble getting my teacher to do my reference, my eventually got it sent away. No I haven't been able to get any other experience so that's why this really stood out for me as an amazing opportunity! How about yourself? :smile:

I think my local NHS work placement scheme is pretty good so I managed to get a week in a hospital through them. I am rly interested in surgery and was quite lucky to get to go into theatre for a couple of the days (!)
After a lot of emailing, letters and phone calls I managed to get 2 days at a GP, which I actually did Thursday and yesterday. I got to sit in on consultations and no one kicked me out, so I guess that was a bonus! I was also meant to watch a medical student teaching session but none of them made it in because of the snow, so they said I could come back next week.
In terms of volunteering, I have been doing the food trolley at my local hospital for the past year or so.
I completely agree that medic insight looks fab! It’s probably a good idea to look for other stuff as well tho just in case as a back up. Also, most uni’s rly value volunteering - maybe find out if your hospital has a scheme? :smile:
Original post by K8e.H
I think my local NHS work placement scheme is pretty good so I managed to get a week in a hospital through them. I am rly interested in surgery and was quite lucky to get to go into theatre for a couple of the days (!)
After a lot of emailing, letters and phone calls I managed to get 2 days at a GP, which I actually did Thursday and yesterday. I got to sit in on consultations and no one kicked me out, so I guess that was a bonus! I was also meant to watch a medical student teaching session but none of them made it in because of the snow, so they said I could come back next week.
In terms of volunteering, I have been doing the food trolley at my local hospital for the past year or so.
I completely agree that medic insight looks fab! It’s probably a good idea to look for other stuff as well tho just in case as a back up. Also, most uni’s rly value volunteering - maybe find out if your hospital has a scheme? :smile:

That's amazing all the experience you've managed to gain! That was good you got to sit in consultations because I've heard some people getting turned away because they weren't 18. Yes, I definitely agree that additional work experience would probably be a good idea. I live really near the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, so maybe they would have something? I'll definitely do some more research! Thank you for your help! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MedTalksWithJoy
That's amazing all the experience you've managed to gain! That was good you got to sit in consultations because I've heard some people getting turned away because they weren't 18. Yes, I definitely agree that additional work experience would probably be a good idea. I live really near the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, so maybe they would have something? I'll definitely do some more research! Thank you for your help! :smile:

No problem :smile:
Just try and get one piece of long term volunteering to show commitment - if you can get it at the hospital, that sounds good. If the hospital doesn’t do volunteering, found out if they have the Royal Voluntary Service Cafe. Or maybe look at care homes or hospices if you can’t get in the hospital.
The good thing about volunteering in hospitals is you can ask doctors for shadowing.
Original post by K8e.H
No problem :smile:
Just try and get one piece of long term volunteering to show commitment - if you can get it at the hospital, that sounds good. If the hospital doesn’t do volunteering, found out if they have the Royal Voluntary Service Cafe. Or maybe look at care homes or hospices if you can’t get in the hospital.
The good thing about volunteering in hospitals is you can ask doctors for shadowing.

Okay. :smile: Thank you so much for the information! I'll definitely investigate that because like you said, it would be very worthwhile. Yes, I know someone who shadowed a doctor and they said it was an amazing insight - so I'll look into that too! :smile:
Just found out today that I have been accepted for the Glasgow programme! Anyone else here heard back yet?
Reply 8
Original post by mcgee5608
Just found out today that I have been accepted for the Glasgow programme! Anyone else here heard back yet?

Well done! I applied to Edinburgh but I haven’t heard yet :frown:
Original post by K8e.H
Well done! I applied to Edinburgh but I haven’t heard yet :frown:

Thank you, I'm sure they'll get back soon! No news is good news at this point though and it'll take ages for them to get through everyone. Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mcgee5608
Thank you, I'm sure they'll get back soon! No news is good news at this point though and it'll take ages for them to get through everyone. Good luck :smile:

Thanks, I was just stalking threads from last year and Edinburgh heard back on the 12th, so I’ll just have to wait and see!
Original post by K8e.H
Thanks, I was just stalking threads from last year and Edinburgh heard back on the 12th, so I’ll just have to wait and see!

I’ve applied to edinburgh too.
They’re probably going to be sending out emails soon I guess!
Reply 12
I got accepted to the Edinburgh programme today! Has anyone else heard? :smile:
Yeah I got accepted into the Edinburgh programme too !
got rejected by edinburgh today.Ngl, my confidence is knocked. What did the rest of you guys write on the form? I filled it in like 5 mins and put no work in it tbf.
Reply 15
Original post by amamanon
got rejected by edinburgh today.Ngl, my confidence is knocked. What did the rest of you guys write on the form? I filled it in like 5 mins and put no work in it tbf.

I spent sooooo long on mine - I submitted it 11 minutes before the deadline. My responses were exactly 1000 characters and I redrafted them quite a few times! And ngl, for the past 24 days, I’ve been checking my email all day every day.
I wouldn’t worry about it too much, you probably just needed to put a little more effort in! :smile:
I got Edinburgh course!! Anyone else going to 2nd week?
Original post by amamanon

I spent ages on mine ... and I had to narrow down my answers when I copied it from a word document onto the actual form and realised it had to be fewer characters.
Don’t let this knock your confidence :smile:)
Original post by Bellaarchibald
I got Edinburgh course!! Anyone else going to 2nd week?

Yeah, I got the second week too !
Reply 19
I got accepted to the first week! I'm so excited-it looks like its going to be a great experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending