The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cataegei
I only know a couple people who'd go to Edinburgh for a night out. It's a bit of a long journey to have a good night out! Students are more likely to go to Dundee which is much closer and has decent clubs and a superb Student Union.

Freshers at St Andrews depends on what you like to do! I found mine very busy and hectic which came from me trying to have a go at everything. There's an event every day of Freshers week in 601(The Student Union "Club") I think they differ year by year but usually, one of the big ones is "Clan Warfare" which is basically all the Halls of Residences competing against each other. You dress up in your hall colours and head along to 601! I really enjoyed Freshers week and I met some of my closest friends from it.

There are a tonne of traditions in St Andrews, most stem from history and have been modified for the 21st century.

One of the iconic ones are the red academic gowns; perhaps the most recognisable way to spot a student from St Andrews. You wear them during the weekly pier walk, formal dinners, the weekly public debate, etc.

The major tradition in St Andrews is academic families. In your 1st year, you will get adopted by a3rd year. Families differ person by person but I got mine through a society I am involved in. Other people get adopted on nights out, in hall, randomly, etc

These academic families are there to give new students some form of support when they come in. I've met some good friends through my academic families!

The next big tradition that stems from academic families is Raisin weekend. It has an infamous reputation because of the booze culture surrounding it. (Although there is no pressure to drink!

You start on Sunday with a "tea party" with your academic mum. This involves drinking games, fun things, and a lot of alcohol. You then go on a pub crawl/attend house parties/go out. I was woken up at 6 am to get to my academic mum's house and didn't go to bed at 2 am the next day.

If drinking isn't your thing then there is no pressure to participate. One person in our academic family didn't drink but they still participated.

The day after raisin Sunday is raisin Monday. Your academic parents will have some form of costume for you and you have a huge foam fight. I'm super disappointed you only get to be 1st year once as raisin weekend was unforgettable and I'd love to do it again!

If you have any further questiosn or want me to expand on anything let me know.

Thank oh so much!! it sounds amazing! I went up there recently and absolutely loved it, so I think I’m gonna choose it as my firm!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hi there!
So I am currently taking the IB and got an offer to study Chemistry (MChem) at St Andrews. I was wondering if anyone could share their experience of entering in second year instead of first, whether many non-Scottish students do it and whether you miss out a lot on the social scene by going straight into 2nd year? Feedback from other subjects is also welcome but if someone could share their experience with Chemistry specifically (coming from A-levels, IB or equivalent) that would be amazing!
Do you know what the churches in St. Andrews are like? I currently go to a more modern Hilsongs type church and was just wondering if there was anything like that in/near St Andrews?

Also I’m hoping to apply for Computer Science at St Andrews next year and have been to the open day, but I just wanted to hear from a students perspective, what’s the CS course here really like?
Original post by hayleyteaa
Do you know what the churches in St. Andrews are like? I currently go to a more modern Hilsongs type church and was just wondering if there was anything like that in/near St Andrews?

Also I’m hoping to apply for Computer Science at St Andrews next year and have been to the open day, but I just wanted to hear from a students perspective, what’s the CS course here really like?

it's unlikely you'll find anyone able to answer your query here so i will say that st andrews is one of, if not THE most christian-friendly unis in great britain. the christian soc is massive (can't say that about Bath uni...) which I believe is partly due to the high Northern Irish contingent who probably make up about 50% of the christian union.

in terms of the town, i don't know what denominations the churches are, but it's crazy how many churches are packed into one town - st salvator's chapel for a start, so i'm sure there will be something for you (i'm not christian btw, but i have benefitted from their cheese Toasties after a night out!)
I would also be interested in finding out. I used to go to the Hillsong Church in Australia, but now living in UK. I am studying Classics and have put St Andrews as my insurance choice.
1. Are there people from south america??2. Do you know anything about the psychology department??3. How is the food if you choose catered??
1. Are there people from south america??
2. Do you know anything about the psychology department??
3. How is the food if you choose catered??
Original post by Astoessel
1. Are there people from south america??
2. Do you know anything about the psychology department??
3. How is the food if you choose catered??

1. quite a few actually! i used to know a guy from Argentina and a girl from Brazil (although she was from an Italian family). I'm not going to pretend that every second person is South American but I believe there is a latin american society.

2. what would you like to know about it? i did psychology modules in my 1st year and i loved social psychology taught by a world leader (Stephen Reicher) who's lectures were so interesting, but i didn't enjoy cognitive and sensory/perception was alright, not really my subject though as I was a biochemistry major.

3. to put it simply, really quite nice but also really quite bland. i mean there's really good options for different meals (veggie, healthy, variety of meat, salad bar) but the Scots love their potatos!
Hi, I have a few questions:

1. I understand that you study three subjects in the first year, if the subject you applied for has a requirement of, say, AAB and you want to study a subject that had an application requirement of AAA are you allowed to do this, or not?

2. What is the night life like? I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere lol

3. I know this can't really be quantified, but broadly speaking how does St Andrews lean politically?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AquinasTheHero
Hi, I have a few questions:

1. I understand that you study three subjects in the first year, if the subject you applied for has a requirement of, say, AAB and you want to study a subject that had an application requirement of AAA are you allowed to do this, or not?

2. What is the night life like? I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere lol

3. I know this can't really be quantified, but broadly speaking how does St Andrews lean politically?

1. Your A level grades only matter for your degree subject. So you need the AAB or whatever to start your history degree, but you don't need any specific grade to take a classical studies module.

2. It's what you make it. House parties are popular, there are lots of events at the Union and 601. Societies and clubs have events and socials as well.

3. There are a massive variety of people, nationalities, and social classes represented at St Andrews. There's no "broad" direction the entire town, students, teachers, and townspeople, leans.
Original post by SaintsGrad
1. Your A level grades only matter for your degree subject. So you need the AAB or whatever to start your history degree, but you don't need any specific grade to take a classical studies module.

There's actually a few modules that do have specific grade prerequisites, IR1005 wants AAAB at Higher or AAA at A-Level or IB38 for example, and MT1002 wants MT1001 or B at Advanced Higher Mathematics or B at A-Level Mathematics.

They're all listed in the course catalogue though, https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/ug/ so @AquinasTheHero you can browse through that to see whether the modules you want have any pre-reqs.
@SaintsGrad

@CollectiveSoul

Do we get a summer reading list, and if so when?

Also, is there an annual ski trip (I’ve heard there is but am not 100% sure)
Original post by abc_123_
@SaintsGrad

@CollectiveSoul

Do we get a summer reading list, and if so when?

Also, is there an annual ski trip (I’ve heard there is but am not 100% sure)

Despite being neither of those people you tagged...

You can check out reading lists here http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html

Snowsports club do a ski trip in January, here's the page for last year http://www.standrewssnowsports.com/trip
Original post by la_banane_verte
Despite being neither of those people you tagged...

You can check out reading lists here http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html

Snowsports club do a ski trip in January, here's the page for last year http://www.standrewssnowsports.com/trip

Thank you!! Are you a current St Andrews student? Ive applied and put it as my firm and I can’t wait to start in September!!! :heart:
Original post by abc_123_
Thank you!! Are you a current St Andrews student? Ive applied and put it as my firm and I can’t wait to start in September!!! :heart:

I'm not a student any more (graduated a few years ago now), but I work here :smile:
Original post by la_banane_verte
I'm not a student any more (graduated a few years ago now), but I work here :smile:

Oh that’s quite cool!
When I went on my applicant day in April there was another member of staff who was also an ex pupil.

When you were there, what clubs and societies did you join?

And In regards to the ski trip, can first year students apply or do you have to apply a year in advance?
Original post by Rupert_SOAS
Hi, could anyone who is studying the MLitt in International Security studies what degree class most people get in with?

It says that the minimum is a "strong 2:1". For context, the political violence and terrorism MLitt requires a "good 2:1".

Hey, I got in MECCA security studies with a strong 2:1 but my disso was a first so you should be fine as long as your written piece is eloquent and your personal statement shows your interest
Reply 9837
Hi! With the undergraduate UCAS deadline in 5 days, I have still yet to firm my offers. I'm currently in a dilemma between St. Andrews and Edinburgh, need help in choosing between the two! I've applied for Arabic and Middle East Studies in St. A but Middle Eastern Studies in Edinburgh. I kind of prefer the St. A course, though what's putting me off is people telling me how 'cut off' the location is and how there's not much to do there? Any thoughts?
Original post by dkb73
Hi! With the undergraduate UCAS deadline in 5 days, I have still yet to firm my offers. I'm currently in a dilemma between St. Andrews and Edinburgh, need help in choosing between the two! I've applied for Arabic and Middle East Studies in St. A but Middle Eastern Studies in Edinburgh. I kind of prefer the St. A course, though what's putting me off is people telling me how 'cut off' the location is and how there's not much to do there? Any thoughts?

wasn't the UCAS deadline a few weeks ago?!

i was worried about the potential isolation too before i arrived (i firmed without even visiting), but i can honestly tell you it's quite the opposite. it's a bustling student town and if you feel isolated there is literally no reason why you can't take a trip to edinburgh every 2-3 weeks which is literally just 1.5 hours away, shorter than many Londoners commutes! st andrews itself has like 2 high streets and 2 half high streets, several supermarkets, A list celebs on the old golf course and loads of society stuff

i've said before i suspect going to a London uni would feel much more isolating as you're the small % of students in a city with 9 million people, few of whom will be fellow students in all the bars and pubs etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9839
Original post by CollectiveSoul
wasn't the UCAS deadline a few weeks ago?!

i was worried about the potential isolation too before i arrived (i firmed without even visiting), but i can honestly tell you it's quite the opposite. it's a bustling student town and if you feel isolated there is literally no reason why you can't take a trip to edinburgh every 2-3 weeks which is literally just 1.5 hours away, shorter than many Londoners commutes! st andrews itself has like 2 high streets and 2 half high streets, several supermarkets, A list celebs on the old golf course and loads of society stuff

i've said before i suspect going to a London uni would feel much more isolating as you're the small % of students in a city with 9 million people, few of whom will be fellow students in all the bars and pubs etc.

My deadline is on the 7th of June haha, probably due to when I last received my last decision.

True, I guess for me location does still play a large role in my decision. I have also received mixed feelings about this from my friends who study there. As you are quite right, being in St Andrews doesn’t mean you are stuck there and can thus travel to Edinburgh if wished. But do you know why some people might find it ‘boring’? Is it due to clubs, shops etc? I personally am fine in a quiet city and don’t see why there’s much fuss over it.

Also, I wanted to ask about student diversity. As an Asian international student, I’ve been told that the uni has a lot of posh Westerners and some people have told me that to try to discourage me. There are many international students there right?

Latest

Trending

Trending