The Student Room Group

Coursework: the yellow wallpaper & The Bell jar

Hi there,
I am doing my English literature coursework on the yellow wallpaper and the bell jar.
My questions surrounds female emotions within both.

Has anyone read either book?
Any interpretations ?
Tips?
Tips regarding both novels ?
Tips regarding course work in general?

Thanks
My friend is doing both books.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
My friend is doing both books.

Could you ask for some tips please? Is she on TSR?
No one else in my class are doing these two books and I want to make sure I get the best grades possible!
Thank you. :-)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ariel2611
Could you ask her for some tips please? Is she on TSR?
No one else in my class are doing these two books and I want to make sure I get the best grades possible!
Thank you. :-)

We just started coursework and he is currently reading the books, we haven’t done anything a part from read and annotate.
We just started coursework and he is currently reading the books, we haven’t done anything a part from read and annotate.

Keep me updated please! Thanks. :-)
Do you have any annotation examples ? Could you send them to me? I haven't done anything yet:-(
Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks

Also I have no idea how to find a quote to put before mg actual question !
What is your question (s)?
My one is regarding female emotion ....
My teacher said to find a critic quote to put before the actual question regarding women / females and how they're presented but I can't find anything!
Keep me updated please! Thanks. :-)
Do you have any annotation examples ? Could you send them to me? I haven't done anything yet:-(
Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks

I’m doing different books to him, so my annotations would be different.
I’m doing different books to him, so my annotations would be different.

His I mean if possible... the yellow wallpaper & bell jar ones :-)
Thanks anyways.
My teacher said to find a critic quote to put before the actual question regarding women / females and how they're presented but I can't find anything!

Haven’t sorted out my thesis yet.
Haven’t sorted out my thesis yet.

What about your friend who is doing the same novels as me...?
Please do ask him for advice etc for me!?
Thanks. :-)
What about your friend who is doing the same novels as me...?
Please do ask him for advice etc for me!?
Thanks. :-)

He hasn’t either.
He hasn’t either.

Okay thanks!
Keep me updated LOL
Thank you :-)

Go to the library and find the book by Elaine Showalter which is called "the madwoman in the attic." This is a university level text which is often cited in related to a feminist reading of texts which present women as "hysterics". The title derives from Bronte's depiction of Mr Rochester's wife as "mad" in the novel 'Jane Eyre". Elaine Showalter will have a lot of information on how women have been depicted through the ages as hysterics, and how female "emotion" is something to be feared, contained and pathologized. Good luck.
Original post by LiyoS
Go to the library and find the book by Elaine Showalter which is called "the madwoman in the attic." This is a university level text which is often cited in related to a feminist reading of texts which present women as "hysterics". The title derives from Bronte's depiction of Mr Rochester's wife as "mad" in the novel 'Jane Eyre". Elaine Showalter will have a lot of information on how women have been depicted through the ages as hysterics, and how female "emotion" is something to be feared, contained and pathologized. Good luck.

Thank you so much!
My teacher was saying something about her and we were going through the madwoman I'm the attic too.
I need to pick a critic quote related to females of women in literature for my coursework too but I literally can't find anything !
Any ideas?
Thanks
I was thinking of doing 'The Yellow wallpaper' & 'We need to talk about Kevin (WNTTAK)

Both books/protagonists have many similarities or differences that can he talked about:

- Both explore mental minds and how they are explored in both women
- Both mention children or separation/distance from children
- It could be argued that just as the protagonist in the yellow wallpaper that the protagonist/mother in WNTTAK is being used mentally by her husband who is hindering her mental state even more
- Both write letters / hide things from husbands
- Both main characters are female
- Both writers are female but write at different time so could mention that

I don't mind doing the bell jar but just wanted a change and was wondering if this was in fact a good idea?

What question could I do for both these novels? What statement at the beginning?
What theme could I explore?

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
I was thinking of doing 'The Yellow wallpaper' & 'We need to talk about Kevin (WNTTAK)

Both books/protagonists have many similarities or differences that can he talked about:

- Both explore psychosis
- Both mention children or separation/distance from children
- It could be argued that just as the protagonist in the yellow wallpaper that the protagonist/mother in WNTTAK is being used mentally by her husband who is hindering her mental state even more
- Both write letters / hide things from husbands

I don't mind doing the bell jar but just wanted a change and was wondering if this was in fact a good idea?
Thanks

I'd obviously have to change my thesis to psychosis and how it is explored.
I could also talk about the different ways each writer (Gilman from Yellow Wallpaper & Shriver from we need to talk about kevin) ..

...both same genders but explore characters differently ... explore relationship with children and how they both are as mothers
... how they are from different time periods (post 1900) and what happened at them times and how this changes both writers novels

Is this a good idea? To do we need to talk about Kevin and the yellow wallpaper
They are not both have a lot of similarities and even differences that can be used and explored on the coursework

What do you all think?

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi, I'm also doing these texts for my NEA!
(I know this post was made years ago but for anyone that is doing their NEA and is also finding this post now I thought this could help!)

Emagazine is a great place for resources if yourself or school has a log in. There are a few articles written about both texts, some of which are comparisons between the two!

Specifically an article Written By: Emma Kirby- "A Culture of Madness the ‘Madwoman’ in Fiction" It contains great comparisons between the two, as well as 'Jane Eyre' and 'A Street car named desire'.

If you don't have access to these I'm happy to give an summaries of certain topics that are contained in the articles!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending