The Student Room Group

M3 edexcel

In the situation of where a bead is threaded to the string and is performing a horizontal circle, doesn't the string exert some sort of reaction form on the bead? If so how come we never include this in the calculation?
Original post by Iconic_panda
Like this one here

From https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/121351/is-there-a-reaction-force-on-the-ball-in-a-vertical-circular-motion :

The tension on the string will have an equal and opposite "reaction force" from the mass.

You can click the link to read more.
Wait so if there is reaction force and it is acting opposite of the tension how come we never include it in the calculation?
Original post by Prasiortle
From https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/121351/is-there-a-reaction-force-on-the-ball-in-a-vertical-circular-motion :

The tension on the string will have an equal and opposite "reaction force" from the mass.

You can click the link to read more.
can't see some comments again.. frustrating....
Wait so if there is reaction force and it is acting opposite of the tension how come we never include it in the calculation?

I'm not an expert on mechanics so I'll get in some people who should be more helpful.

@RDKGames
@ghostwalker
Wait so if there is reaction force and it is acting opposite of the tension

Newton's Third law - check it out.

how come we never include it in the calculation?

Your calculations will be based on forces acting on the mass, i.e. external to it (which includes gravity) and reaction by the mass isn't one of them.

can't see some comments again.. frustrating....

Which comments can't you see? If it's an issue with the site - report it. If it's just because no one had responded yet, then patience; there's not always a vast number of people giving their time on here, all the time.
ohhh right I finally get it thank you guys!
Also about the comments that are unable to see. Recently I keep getting notifications saying someone just commented but when I click I see nothing. If i offended anyone please do forgive me. I didnt intend that way :biggrin:
Original post by ghostwalker
Newton's Third law - check it out.

Your calculations will be based on forces acting on the mass, i.e. external to it (which includes gravity) and reaction by the mass isn't one of them.

Which comments can't you see? If it's an issue with the site - report it. If it's just because no one had responded yet, then patience; there's not always a vast number of people giving their time on here, all the time.
ohhh right I finally get it thank you guys!
Also about the comments that are unable to see. Recently I keep getting notifications saying someone just commented but when I click I see nothing. If i offended anyone please do forgive me. I didnt intend that way :biggrin:

Are you sure the notifications are saying that someone replied to your thread, rather than that someone gave you reputation for a post?
yeah definitely, it said new quote in M3 then i clicked I saw nothing..
It happened to me before as well though
Original post by Prasiortle
Are you sure the notifications are saying that someone replied to your thread, rather than that someone gave you reputation for a post?

Could be that someone replied, but then deleted their post.

@Notnek Can you see deleted post? I used to be able to, but not since they axed the Study Helper role.
Reply 11

Someone replied to you and then deleted their post before you got the chance to see it. This is why you received a notification but didn't see any reply. The same thing may have happened the last time.

Quick Reply

Latest