The Student Room Group

Scottish Government - Various Policy and Operational Roles

Thought it would be a good idea to set up a feed now that we should be starting to hear back if we've passed the sift.
Noticed application status has updated but havent received an email yet.

Scroll to see replies

Hi all. Thanks vmc21 for initiating this thread. My status says: Reserve for Interview but no idea what this means!

Original post by vmc21
Thought it would be a good idea to set up a feed now that we should be starting to hear back if we've passed the sift.
Noticed application status has updated but havent received an email yet.
Reply 2
Original post by CricketKing
Hi all. Thanks vmc21 for initiating this thread. My status says: Reserve for Interview but no idea what this means!

I have the same and like you, have no clue. I've applied for a few roles with SG previously and haven't seen that before.
Reply 3
Hi! My status is at reserve for interview too, so I e-mailed this morning, and they said it means you've met the criteria for interview so they will send out some online tests within the next two weeks and if you pass you'll be invited to interview.
Reply 4
Original post by hg2011
Hi! My status is at reserve for interview too, so I e-mailed this morning, and they said it means you've met the criteria for interview so they will send out some online tests within the next two weeks and if you pass you'll be invited to interview.

Thank you!
Reply 5
No problem! Good luck.

Original post by vmc21
Thank you!
Original post by hg2011

Thanks for the helpful info!
Reply 7
Tests should be sent out early next week - a numerical reasoning, and if passed, a verbal reasoning will be sent. :goodluck:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how the guaranteed interview scheme works for this application? I've never applied to the fast stream before but I understood that if you did apply to it, and numerous other government run applications, under the GIS that you got the option to opt out of the numerical and verbal tests and go straight to the situational ones.... Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers!!:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by CMB95
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how the guaranteed interview scheme works for this application? I've never applied to the fast stream before but I understood that if you did apply to it, and numerous other government run applications, under the GIS that you got the option to opt out of the numerical and verbal tests and go straight to the situational ones.... Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers!!:smile:

Not with SG. I would say each advertised role has different requirements, and tests. GIS candidates are required to do all tests. After the pass mark is decided, they look at the impact on candidates applying under GIS and make a decision from there. Even if you pass the tests, there's no guarantee you will move forward to the AC/Interview. It's the same for all candidates in that respect, particularly if there have been a lot of applications/high scores on the tests.

The FS only gives GIS candidates you an exemption for the behavioural test. You are still required to sit SJT, e-tray exercise, video interview, do an additional application for every scheme you've applied for and, if you pass all those, then you are invited to the FSAC.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by vmc21
Not with SG. I would say each advertised role has different requirements, and tests. GIS candidates are required to do all tests. After the pass mark is decided, they look at the impact on candidates applying under GIS and make a decision from there. Even if you pass the tests, there's no guarantee you will move forward to the AC/Interview. It's the same for all candidates in that respect, particularly if there have been a lot of applications/high scores on the tests.

The FS only gives GIS candidates you an exemption for the behavioural test. You are still required to sit SJT, e-tray exercise, video interview, do an additional application for every scheme you've applied for and, if you pass all those, then you are invited to the FSAC.

Haven't done any mathematics since I left school, looking at the practice tests does not fill me with confidence.......
Reply 11
Haven't done any mathematics since I left school, looking at the practice tests does not fill me with confidence.......

There are lots online so do as many as you can to practice before sitting the test that's sent to you. The good thing is that this one won't be timed and is adaptable to you - if you get a Q right then the next Q will be more difficult and the opposite if you get one wrong.
Reply 12
Original post by vmc21

There are lots online so do as many as you can to practice before sitting the test that's sent to you. The good thing is that this one won't be timed and is adaptable to you - if you get a Q right then the next Q will be more difficult and the opposite if you get one wrong.

That's the part I don't get, if it gets easier/harder depending on how you answer how are you then assessed relative to everyone else?
Reply 13
Original post by CMB95

That's the part I don't get, if it gets easier/harder depending on how you answer how are you then assessed relative to everyone else?

It will be able to calculate a final score and place you in a percentile
Reply 14
Hi all! I'll be following this thread as I applied too :smile:

Does anyone know a bit more about the role than what the vacancy/website said? And on the civilservantsjob-website it said that there were 150 positions? How should I imagine that? Is the recruitment for this actually that big?

Anyway, wish you all the best with the numerical test next week!
Reply 15
Original post by lpvl
Hi all! I'll be following this thread as I applied too :smile:

Does anyone know a bit more about the role than what the vacancy/website said? And on the civilservantsjob-website it said that there were 150 positions? How should I imagine that? Is the recruitment for this actually that big?

Anyway, wish you all the best with the numerical test next week!

No idea about the positions and there was no more details given at any of the Informations Days. I also noticed the number of positions and the massive recruitment drive, which is good news if pass the tests and AC/Interview. I was thinking many of the roles could be in the new SocSec dept although that could be totally way off.

First things first is getting through these tests 🤪 Good luck!
Reply 16
I’ve also applied to the role! Did anyone get the email about the technical issues? I feel I’m a bit older than a lot of the applicants at 25 and the highest qualification I hold is an HND? I felt quite confident after the maths test but after sitting the language one not so much.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Nas1593
I’ve also applied to the role! Did anyone get the email about the technical issues? I feel I’m a bit older than a lot of the applicants at 25 and the highest qualification I hold is an HND? I felt quite confident after the maths test but after sitting the language one not so much.

The main thing from the sift and AC/Interview is meeting the competencies so don't worry about your qualifications/age - you got through the sift so have what they're looking for.

I got the email too but as the day went on was beginning to think they were having difficulties. Think it said tomorrow now?
I haven't even attempted the practice tests yet. Are they quite difficult?
Reply 18
Can you explain what you mean by AC?

I found them quite difficult by I haven’t studied maths nor language in 8 years, I managed to pass both but it took me a while.

Good luck to everyone sitting the test
Anyone have any more information on what the Various Policy & Operational roles are? Where they might be based? Any idea what the interview will be like if you make it to interview? Will there be questions about political theory or stuff on guys like Hegel and Kant and all these guys? Qualitative and Quantative methods..lol all the stuff Ive forgotten from years ago. I'd LOVE to land this job. I've had enough of crappy job agencies with their crappy admin and data entry jobs and crappy retail jobs that will never take you anywhere. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending