The Student Room Group

Accommodation 1st year undergraduate

Hi everybody! My question might sound dumb to you all but as an EU student (French), I'm totally clueless about how the accommodation system works in the UK, have mercy on me ahaha

I have three conditional offers and plan to firm my offer from Glasgow and put Aberdeen as my insurance. Therefore I wonder, should I apply for accommodation in both universities? I mean, I'd rather go to Glasgow but their requirements are actually pretty hard to achieve (though not impossible). But I don't know if it's possible to also book a room in Aberdeen on campus in case,. If so, what would happen if I were to eventually meet Glasgow' s requirements while having asked for a room in Aberdeen? Will it cost me something or Idk what else?

To those who'll answer thank you very much!
Hi! I'm going to Aberdeen and you can't actually apply for accommodation there until you've met the conditions of your offer, so don't worry! Just wait until you get your results so you know what uni you'll be attending and apply afterwards. I don't know about Glasgow but I don't think you'll miss out on accommodation whatsoever if you wait a couple of weeks/months before applying. Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Really does help, thank you very much! I'll sti have to look into Glasgow but at least I know that things should be fine with Aberdeen ahaha
Original post by Popiqueen
Hi everybody! My question might sound dumb to you all but as an EU student (French), I'm totally clueless about how the accommodation system works in the UK, have mercy on me ahaha

I have three conditional offers and plan to firm my offer from Glasgow and put Aberdeen as my insurance. Therefore I wonder, should I apply for accommodation in both universities? I mean, I'd rather go to Glasgow but their requirements are actually pretty hard to achieve (though not impossible). But I don't know if it's possible to also book a room in Aberdeen on campus in case,. If so, what would happen if I were to eventually meet Glasgow' s requirements while having asked for a room in Aberdeen? Will it cost me something or Idk what else?

To those who'll answer thank you very much!

Hi there, firstly you have excellent English!

Regarding accomodation, you should definitely be applying for accomodation at Glasgow as its your firm choice. Regarding Aberdeen University, a look at their website tells me that they only let you apply for accomodation once your offer with them is unconditional: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/apply-now.php
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Hi there, firstly you have excellent English!

Regarding accomodation, you should definitely be applying for accomodation at Glasgow as its your firm choice. Regarding Aberdeen University, a look at their website tells me that they only let you apply for accomodation once your offer with them is unconditional: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/apply-now.php

Hey, first of, thank you, I'm trying my best ahaha
Just to be sure, I emailed the accomodation service at the UoG and they told me to apply for accommodation once I'd have accepted my conditional offer (how many grammar mistakes ahaha). I just don't know if that means FIRMING their offer (which I'll do anytime soon) or apply when 1)my offer's already firmed 2) AND I'd have received my exam results and made my conditional offer an unconditional. What do you think?

Merci beaucoup :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest