The Student Room Group

Don't know what to firm and insure. Help please.

My offers
UCL - Maths with Economics - A*A*A
LSE - Economics - A*AA
don't need the others (warwick and surrey)

Im actually so confused and running out of time. If I firm LSE then I have to reject UCL, but people keep telling Im stupid to not go LSE.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryRoss18
My offers
UCL - Maths with Economics - A*A*A
LSE - Economics - A*AA
don't need the others (warwick and surrey)

Im actually so confused and running out of time. If I firm LSE then I have to reject UCL, but people keep telling Im stupid to not go LSE.

No you don't.

Imagine that you have firmed LSE and insured UCL. On results day you get A*A*B. LSE are full up with applicants who have made their offer and regretfully have to reject you because your B means that you haven't met your conditions. However, UCL have a few spaces left and decide that you are one of the 'near misses' to be given a place.

Firm the uni/course you want most.
Original post by ageshallnot
No you don't.

Imagine that you have firmed LSE and insured UCL. On results day you get A*A*B. LSE are full up with applicants who have made their offer and regretfully have to reject you because your B means that you haven't met your conditions. However, UCL have a few spaces left and decide that you are one of the 'near misses' to be given a place.

Firm the uni/course you want most.

Haha, locked up my other account somehow. Thing is, I don't even know which one to go to. I can't decide what to pick, which is a bigger problem for me. I need some further help on which one to pick. Id love to do both of them.
They're not exactly the same courses, would you prefer to continue maths into university?
Have looked at accommodation/nightlife/lecture sizes etc?

I suggest making a list and then reevaluating. That's what I did :smile:
Original post by HarryRoss2018
Haha, locked up my other account somehow. Thing is, I don't even know which one to go to. I can't decide what to pick, which is a bigger problem for me. I need some further help on which one to pick. Id love to do both of them.

As above. Which course do you prefer?
Original post by meediaabid
They're not exactly the same courses, would you prefer to continue maths into university?
Have looked at accommodation/nightlife/lecture sizes etc?

I suggest making a list and then reevaluating. That's what I did :smile:

Ive looked into all those you have said. I love maths and economics equally. Im looking more at which one is gonna have the better job prospects, reputation etc. Which looks better on C.V.
Original post by ageshallnot
As above. Which course do you prefer?

I want to do both. Im looking more at which one is gonna have the better job prospects, reputation etc. Which looks better on C.V.
Original post by whichisbetter
I feel like you have answered your own question here, if you love them both equally, choose the course that allows you to do both. In terms of graduate prospects, they are pretty much the same with rankings showing 1% between them and they are both highly regarded.

safe my g
UCL doesn't have that good a reputation in Maths.
And LSE's reputation in Economics > UCL's.
LSE looks better on a CV.
Job prospects are probably slightly better for LSE.
LSE's offer is A*AA excluding Further Maths, while UCL's offer includes Further Maths so UCL's offer may be easier to meet (if you're good at Further Maths).

Take LSE and insure UCL.
Reply 9
I'd go for LSE but your prospects going to either are pretty good
Original post by dinglebells
UCL doesn't have that good a reputation in Maths.
And LSE's reputation in Economics > UCL's.
LSE looks better on a CV.
Job prospects are probably slightly better for LSE.
LSE's offer is A*AA excluding Further Maths, while UCL's offer includes Further Maths so UCL's offer may be easier to meet (if you're good at Further Maths).

Take LSE and insure UCL.

Yh another thing. I really want 3A* to prove my ability (family thing as well, got an older 'allegedly smarter" brother.) I feel like by insuring LSE I can just take 10 steps back and relax. Firming UCL means I have to continue to work hard.

Would i be stupid to firm UCL over LSE?
(edited 6 years ago)
Yh another thing. I really want 3A* to prove my ability (family thing as well, got an older 'allegedly smarter" brother.) I feel like by insuring LSE I can just take 10 steps back and relax. Firming UCL means I have to continue to work hard.

Would i be stupid to firm UCL over LSE?

Yes, that's a terrible reason to firm UCL over LSE.. If you really want 3A*, then you'll work for it anyway.

I'm curious why you didn't choose Maths with Economics at LSE (they offer the same course) if you want to do both subjects?
Yes, that's a terrible reason to firm UCL over LSE.. If you really want 3A*, then you'll work for it anyway.

I'm curious why you didn't choose Maths with Economics at LSE (they offer the same course) if you want to do both subjects?

I thought it was too competitive. Poor decision on my behalf and I can't undo it. It it was it is. Im actually a lazy geeza, so having high entry requirements makes me need to work hard.
(edited 6 years ago)
I thought it was too competitive. Poor decision on my behalf and I can't undo it. It it was it is. Im actually a lazy geeza, so having high entry requirements makes me need to work hard.

At LSE, the first year of straight Econ and Maths and/with Economics can be made to be exactly the same. You can then switch to Maths and/with Economics if you want for second and third years.

Out of curiosity, what is your LSE offer in terms of specific subjects and grades?
At LSE, the first year of straight Econ and Maths and/with Economics can be made to be exactly the same. You can then switch to Maths and/with Economics if you want for second and third years.

Out of curiosity, what is your LSE offer in terms of specific subjects and grades?

A*AA with A* compulsory in maths

Nah don't work like g, only if there are spaces you can switch and there never is
A*AA with A* compulsory in maths

what about further maths?
what about further maths?

nah nothing compulsory about further maths or even taking it. Only UCL course has compulsory A* in maths and further maths
nah nothing compulsory about further maths or even taking it. Only UCL course has compulsory A* in maths and further maths

aren't the 2 As meant to be in subjects excluding further maths?
i.e. further maths can only be a fourth a level?
aren't the 2 As meant to be in subjects excluding further maths?
i.e. further maths can only be a fourth a level?

Nah mate I know my offer. Its A*A*A with A* in maths and further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending