The Student Room Group

A* in my EPQ! Willing to give any tips or advice! :)

So I got my EPQ certificate today and I got an A* and guess what guyss I was predicted a B grade :biggrin: so don't feel discouraged because you can do so much better than you think.

I did a dissertation and my investigation was:
Does Hedonism lead to immorality in The Picture of Dorian Gray and in The Great Gatsby?

As you can tell, it was literature based. It was an extremely stressful process but at times very enjoyable and an appropriate word to describe the whol experience would be "enlightening". You just learn so much not just about writing dissertations but you also get to investigate a topic that you find interesting.

If anyone would like any advice or tips, ask away and I will try to the best of my ability, if not immediately, I will try to soon ( i have to do revision lol but im procrastinating lmao :biggrin:)

Scroll to see replies

Well done, that's amazing :smile: I'm taking four A levels next year, would you recommend doing an EPQ on top of this? It's something I'm really interested in as I'm hoping to apply to Oxbridge but would be unwilling to sacrifice another subject for it. Thanks :smile:
I think if you're doing 4 A-Levels then EPQ may not be ideal because as I mentioned, it was the most stressful thing that I ever did. I literally crammmed sooo much work in the last few weeks even though i started doing it during the summer. It hurts your brain.. I swear to god. I did learn so much from the process though
why are you doing 4 a levels? and are you starting AS or A2?
guys seriously im in the mood to give advice lmao

BUMPPPPPPPPP
Good job!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, well done on getting an A*, did you ever consider doing an artefact or were you always set on doing a dissertation and if so why ?
Original post by justanotherchica
I think if you're doing 4 A-Levels then EPQ may not be ideal because as I mentioned, it was the most stressful thing that I ever did. I literally crammmed sooo much work in the last few weeks even though i started doing it during the summer. It hurts your brain.. I swear to god. I did learn so much from the process though
why are you doing 4 a levels? and are you starting AS or A2?

Thanks - I'm doing 4 because one of the colleges I have an offer for makes it compulsory and the other told me that to be a competitive Cambridge applicant I should do four (I know the requirement is three :biggrin:)
omg I love those books! congrats on doing so well! What advice would you give in general? I'm kinda known for being bad with deadlines (queen of procrastination) so would it be a bad idea doing one? I'm interested in psychology but not doing psychology or anything similar for a levels so I thought it would be good
Original post by Elisamary30
Hey, well done on getting an A*, did you ever consider doing an artefact or were you always set on doing a dissertation and if so why ?

i was set on doing a diss. because I want to do english lit at uni and tbh im just better at writing lmao.
Original post by Issakatie
omg I love those books! congrats on doing so well! What advice would you give in general? I'm kinda known for being bad with deadlines (queen of procrastination) so would it be a bad idea doing one? I'm interested in psychology but not doing psychology or anything similar for a levels so I thought it would be good

do it if you can take the stress lol but I would recommend doing the bulk of the work during the summer so in term time you dont have too much to do except update your project activity log and do your bibliography and edit your work. also dont waste the time during AS that is designated for EPQ, having a headstart can really help in the long run.
Original post by riannon2001
Thanks - I'm doing 4 because one of the colleges I have an offer for makes it compulsory and the other told me that to be a competitive Cambridge applicant I should do four (I know the requirement is three :biggrin:)

for cambridge. maybe you should but then do all the work during summer so that you dont have too much to do during the 1st term when its due. wait are you in A2?
I'll be doing maths, further maths and physics at a-level
for my EPQ i want to do a dissertation... but what do i do it on?
Original post by Baza2002
I'll be doing maths, further maths and physics at a-level
for my EPQ i want to do a dissertation... but what do i do it on?

do it on somethigng related to maths, further maths or physics?
lol jk. which course do you want to do at uni? base your epq on something related to that so that you can include it in your PS and when unis are notified they will be impressed that you take such a keen interest in the course.
do it on somethigng related to maths, further maths or physics?
lol jk. which course do you want to do at uni? base your epq on something related to that so that you can include it in your PS and when unis are notified they will be impressed that you take such a keen interest in the course.

I don't know. Maths maybe.
omg wow congratulations babe x

what was your word count?

Give me every tip you have please, mine is due in two days loool
Reply 15
So I got my EPQ certificate today and I got an A* and guess what guyss I was predicted a B grade :biggrin: so don't feel discouraged because you can do so much better than you think.

I did a dissertation and my investigation was:
Does Hedonism lead to immorality in The Picture of Dorian Gray and in The Great Gatsby?

As you can tell, it was literature based. It was an extremely stressful process but at times very enjoyable and an appropriate word to describe the whol experience would be "enlightening". You just learn so much not just about writing dissertations but you also get to investigate a topic that you find interesting.

If anyone would like any advice or tips, ask away and I will try to the best of my ability, if not immediately, I will try to soon ( i have to do revision lol but im procrastinating lmao :biggrin:)

Congrats!! What year are you in? And, what were the main issues you spoke about overcoming in your diary or logbook ofc answer if you can / want to. Thanks in advance!
Did you have to give a presentation after writing your project?

If so how did it go and how long did you talk for?? I will be giving by presentation on my topic in a couple of weeks, so am just interested in what you and other people did.

Thanks
for cambridge. maybe you should but then do all the work during summer so that you dont have too much to do during the 1st term when its due. wait are you in A2?

No I'm in Year 11 at the moment :smile:
That's an idea but then again if it took you more than the summer to do it, it may just be unnecessary stress. I'm taking French so I'll have an individual research project for that, which is basically a mini EPQ. I think I'll just leave it at that :smile: thanks x
Original post by riannon2001
No I'm in Year 11 at the moment :smile:
That's an idea but then again if it took you more than the summer to do it, it may just be unnecessary stress. I'm taking French so I'll have an individual research project for that, which is basically a mini EPQ. I think I'll just leave it at that :smile: thanks x

that's cool, best of luck in your studies! :smile:

sidenote: i was lazy, i could have completed it all during the summer but i was too busy watching Sherlock :biggrin:
that's cool, best of luck in your studies! :smile:

sidenote: i was lazy, i could have completed it all during the summer but i was too busy watching Sherlock :biggrin:

Just a quick question, is anyone in here awake right now dong languages at a level? Any at all?

Quick Reply

Latest