The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

firmed Kent and rejected my unconditional from York..mistake?

hi guys,
really in need of some help.
I applied to Lancaster York and Kent and got unconditional from all 3 for English language and linguistics.
I particularly liked Kent due to the range of modules and so I firmed and have got a place, however my unconditional for York is now gone and I need AAB to get In there..have I made a huge mistake?
Reply 1
Original post by emhartle
hi guys,
I applied to Lancaster York and Kent and got unconditional from all 3 for English language and linguistics.
I particularly liked Kent due to the range of modules and so I firmed and have got a place, however my unconditional for York is now gone and I need AAB to get In there..have I made a huge mistake?

If you have firmed an unconditional offer then you won't have an insurance. You will be going to your firm choice.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm not understanding you here. You got unconditional offers from all three, what do you need AAB for?
hi guys,

If you firmed an unconditional then why would you need AAB to be accepted? My understanding is that once you firm the unconditional offer, you're set on going regardless of grades.
Reply 4
Original post by Sataris
I'm not understanding you here. You got unconditional offers from all three, what do you need AAB for?

sorry should've specified, once I made York my insurance it was no longer unconditional
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
If you have firmed an unconditional offer then you won't have an insurance. You will be going to your firm choice.

yes I know, but there was still an option to include York as my insurance.
asking peoples opinions and if it was a mistake
Reply 6
Original post by meediaabid
If you firmed an unconditional then why would you need AAB to be accepted? My understanding is that once you firm the unconditional offer, you're set on going regardless of grades.

so my unconditional for York no longer stands if it is my insurance, the offer turns to conditional

I firmed kent and made York my insurance.
so my unconditional for York no longer stands if it is my insurance, the offer turns to conditional

So did Kent offer you an unconditional as you mentioned in your initial post? Or conditional with entry grades AAB?
Reply 8
yes I know, but there was still an option to include York as my insurance.
asking peoples opinions and if it was a mistake

No there isn't. You don't have an insurance when your firm is, or becomes, unconditional. The insurance disappears.

You haven't made a mistake.
Reply 9
I mean, if you specifically liked Kent and Kent was also an unconditional offer than surely its not a mistake? If you accepted an unconditional offer then it pretty much doesn't matter if you have an "insurance" because you literally will not need it, assuming you sit all your tests or get a passing grade in each exam.
Reply 10

Yes but you've firmed an unconditional, so it doesn't matter whether you get AAB or not, you're going to Kent
Reply 11
if you get the grades for an insurance, you can ask your firm to please you
Original post by Tom191
Yes but you've firmed an unconditional, so it doesn't matter whether you get AAB or not, you're going to Kent
Reply 12
if you get the grades for an insurance, you can ask your firm to please you

release**
Reply 13
Original post by meediaabid
So did Kent offer you an unconditional as you mentioned in your initial post? Or conditional with entry grades AAB?

Kent offered me an unconditional yes
Reply 14
Original post by Erebus_C
I mean, if you specifically liked Kent and Kent was also an unconditional offer than surely its not a mistake? If you accepted an unconditional offer then it pretty much doesn't matter if you have an "insurance" because you literally will not need it, assuming you sit all your tests or get a passing grade in each exam.

yeah thats true, I just wondered if anyone would've chosen York over Kent due to the difference in ranking?
Reply 15
release**

This is true but why would you do that? Do you not like Kent?

And they don't have to release you though. I probably would've gone for York but if you preferred Kent then go to Kent
you should have picked the uni you preferred- ranking really doesn't matter.
Kent offered me an unconditional yes

Don't worry then! Work as hard as you can to achieve the best results, but you don't have to get AAB to get into Kent, you firmed an unconditional which means you'll be accepted into the university regardless of your grades. I've heard of people switching their unconditional firms but in terms of cases - few and far inbetween. By declining your offer to York you will have lost the unconditional but it sounds like you preferred Kent anyway
Reply 18
Heeey I'm literally doing the same course as you! Okay, so I had a huge meltdown on whether to choose Lancaster (had an unconditional) or Sheffield (where I didn't but ended up firming lol). I also had an unconditional from York too which I declined! If you chose based on your preference of course then that is amazing and there is really nothing to regret (high rankings don't mean you will enjoy uni for 3 years!). Try not to worry (easier said than done). I've had moments where I've convinced myself that I made the wrong choice. What I do when I'm in those situations is think back to why I am excited to go to my firm in the first place, why I chose it and what the university can do for me to grow as a person. I'm sure you will enjoy your time studying English Language and Linguistics at Kent since it does sound like you prefer it :smile: If you still feel that York is more for you, you should probably give UCAS a ring about what to do or on results day if you get the grades needed you could go there instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Thank you so much for your help!! Can I ask why you didn’t like york and Lancaster? I’m more I tested in the social and journalist side and I got the impression that they were both more scientific and phonology based which is not my favourite xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending