The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

How lenient are Sussex with entry requirements?

I've been offered a place at Sussex for psychology (2018 entry) of ABB or BBB if firm choice and want to know how lenient they are if you don't meet the entry requirements as I want to put them as my insurance choice. Would be really helpful to know if anyone was accepted (especially for psychology) even if they didn't meet their offer

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Original post by epotter2706

I've just edited your title to make it a bit clearer - it might help get a reply too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I've just edited your title to make it a bit clearer - it might help get a reply too :smile:

Thank you, I really appreciate it :smile:
My friend firmed Sussex last year for Psychology, got ACC and got in. The A was in Psych though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by amygracebroad
My friend firmed Sussex last year for Psychology, got ACC and got in. The A was in Psych though :smile:

Thank you, that’s very helpful :smile: do you know what her offer was?
Thank you, that’s very helpful :smile: do you know what her offer was?

I think it was ABB but I’m not entirely sure!
I've been told they're quite lenient, but possibly depends on if you get the grade in the subject you're planning on doing at Sussex?
Sussex is very lenient. It has one of the highest university entry rates in the country, so I've heard but try to aim for that A in psychology. I've been at Sussex for 4 years now and it's a great uni, you're making a good choice. :smile:
Original post by young bean
I've been told they're quite lenient, but possibly depends on if you get the grade in the subject you're planning on doing at Sussex?

Thank you, I’m aiming to get the A in psychology so I was hoping they would have leniancy with one of my other subjects
Original post by Becky2305
Sussex is very lenient. It has one of the highest university entry rates in the country, so I've heard but try to aim for that A in psychology. I've been at Sussex for 4 years now and it's a great uni, you're making a good choice. :smile:

Thank you, this is very helpful, I’m aiming for the A in psychology and was hoping they would be lenient with one of my other subjects. I’m glad to hear you like it there, hopefully they will let me in if I don’t get my firm choice :smile:
Thank you, this is very helpful, I’m aiming for the A in psychology and was hoping they would be lenient with one of my other subjects. I’m glad to hear you like it there, hopefully they will let me in if I don’t get my firm choice :smile:

You're welcome. If you don't make the grades, they may be able to offer you a place on a foundation year before moving onto the actual degree. They normally require grades BCC - CCC as the minimum for the foundation year. :smile:
I was 3 marks off getting my offer and was made to take foundation year. It depends how many people wanna do the course and got the grades
I was offered AAB/ABB to study business, got ABC (A in business) and got in. Psych is popular at Sussex but I reckon you're safe putting it as your insurance as long as you get an A is psychology.
They have a massive problem with student recruitment because the uni isn't in the city centre, Brightons expensive and a lot of the buildings are gross.. still a good uni though and ranked well globally for social sciences.
My offer was 4 B’s to do sociology as my firm (4 because one of subjects counts as 2), I have already achieved 2 A’s, so would they be lenient if I were to drop one of my B’s to a C?
I got a conditional offer (BBB) for Neuroscience and I got an A in chemistry but I also got a C in biology. Do you reckon they will let me in?
this thread is useful and has been quite nerve calming. ta for the op for asking the question and those kind enough to answer! the grade requirements for soc (which i have applied for) is bbb (having made it a firm offer) however our class at college has been plagued with a barrage of fired staff due to incorrect teaching of psych. i am now anxious i will not secure a b in it. i have secured a b in crim, i hope to secure - at the least - a b in soc. if i happened to get abc or bbc, would i have to then do a foundation year beforehand? because whew would i like to avoid that. ta.
Hi guys, I happened to miss all my offers' conditions in the overall criteria, but I exceeded the other requirements. The closest unis to take me in would be Sheffield, Edinburgh, and Sussex.
I am kind of confused on whether to select Sussex as insurance or Edinburgh. Which one do you guys think selecting is a better option in terms of faculty and funding and future job prospects? I want to keep the University of Sheffield as my firm.

P. S. I am going to study BSc Psychology as well. I am also an international student.
Original post by Alex212344
My offer was 4 B’s to do sociology as my firm (4 because one of subjects counts as 2), I have already achieved 2 A’s, so would they be lenient if I were to drop one of my B’s to a C?

Original post by diegoooameal
I got a conditional offer (BBB) for Neuroscience and I got an A in chemistry but I also got a C in biology. Do you reckon they will let me in?

Original post by rothach
this thread is useful and has been quite nerve calming. ta for the op for asking the question and those kind enough to answer! the grade requirements for soc (which i have applied for) is bbb (having made it a firm offer) however our class at college has been plagued with a barrage of fired staff due to incorrect teaching of psych. i am now anxious i will not secure a b in it. i have secured a b in crim, i hope to secure - at the least - a b in soc. if i happened to get abc or bbc, would i have to then do a foundation year beforehand? because whew would i like to avoid that. ta.

I don't want to generalise lol but feel like you're all fine, dropping down one grade (especially if you go up a grade in another subject) is usuallllly ok if they're you're firm choice. Other unis maybe not, but like I said Sussex struggles to recruit students and their acceptance rate is like 98% or something crazy like that.

Quick Reply

Latest