The Student Room Group

What's the deal with dating sites such as Badoo?

Okay, so I just deleted my account (had it for a week) after the only girl who messaged back revealed she was 15, not 18, after a couple of days of chat. In the time I had it I messaged 30+ girls for 1 response back( and the girls had read the message) and liked over 1000 girls on encounter and not one liked me back. Looking at some profiles, the majority of girls have a 7+ rating/10 and yet not one guy I've seen has a 7. So what is the deal with websites such as this? Why does it seem to be so against guys? And why are no girls messaging back or liking guys even when they state in their profile they "want to chat"?

Oh and just as a side note, I doubt it's because of my appearance because the one girl who did message me said I was handsome and I'm defo not fat.

Scroll to see replies

I can't speak for women on Badoo, but I can speak for men, I have tried it once, the site is designed to lure you in and exploit you. It will tell you women want to speak when they don't. Dating sites are terrible excuses for company, they will make you feel one hundred times worse.
Reply 2
Original post by tashkent46
I can't speak for women on Badoo, but I can speak for men, I have tried it once, the site is designed to lure you in and exploit you. It will tell you women want to speak when they don't. Dating sites are terrible excuses for company, they will make you feel one hundred times worse.

Badoo was full of perks trying to get me to spend money. For example, it would blur a picture of a girl who favorited me a then would make me pay to unblur it. Also the first time a tried to delete my account , it offered me 3 days free premium to try and keep me on (normally costing 4.99 a week)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, so I just deleted my account (had it for a week) after the only girl who messaged back revealed she was 15, not 18, after a couple of days of chat. In the time I had it I messaged 30+ girls for 1 response back( and the girls had read the message) and liked over 1000 girls on encounter and not one liked me back. Looking at some profiles, the majority of girls have a 7+ rating/10 and yet not one guy I've seen has a 7. So what is the deal with websites such as this? Why does it seem to be so against guys? And why are no girls messaging back or liking guys even when they state in their profile they "want to chat"?

Oh and just as a side note, I doubt it's because of my appearance because the one girl who did message me said I was handsome and I'm defo not fat.

girls are getting constantly hit up by guys that they get super picky and basically only go for the 8+ guys

the 15 year old found you more attractive than women your own age do as you appeared more dominant/masculine because of your age [in relation to hers] ...

generally speaking the more masculine a man is, the more attractive he is to women [excluding extreme levels of masculinity which are often a turn off to women]

also generally the more feminine a woman is the more attractive she is to men.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
OKCupid would send out emails saying that you're in the top band of attractive people and that you'll see more attractive people in your searches. However, it was determined that everyone receives this email at one point. It's just one way for dating sites to keep their customers. Tinder would have an algorithm that sticks the people who swipe right on you at the top of your swipe list, giving the impression that you are getting so many matches. Not sure if this is still the case now... (it probably is).

Because of the competition with so many guys who message first, girls can just easily choose the better looking guy to reply to.
Reply 5
Original post by ANM775
girls are getting constantly hit up by guys that they get super picky and basically only go for the 8+ guys

the 15 year old found you more attractive than women your own age do as you appeared more dominant/masculine because of your age [in relation to hers] ...

generally speaking the more masculine a man is, the more attractive he is to women [excluding extreme levels of masculinity which are often a turn off to women]

also generally more feminine a woman is the more attractive she is to men.

But how can you communicate masculinity through a few photos? Some of my photos were me in a nightclub having fun with friends, is that not masculine enough? Or is just something you have or don't have and can't change? Also I see your point about the 15 year old finding me more attractive because of my age. Bit of a downer that:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
OKCupid would send out emails saying that you're in the top band of attractive people and that you'll see more attractive people in your searches. However, it was determined that everyone receives this email at one point. It's just one way for dating sites to keep their customers. Tinder would have an algorithm that sticks the people who swipe right on you at the top of your swipe list, giving the impression that you are getting so many matches. Not sure if this is still the case now... (it probably is).

Because of the competition with so many guys who message first, girls can just easily choose the better looking guy to reply to.

So are you saying that unless you are a very good looking guy, the chances of dating a girl even 6/10 are impossible?
Reply 7
So are you saying that unless you are a very good looking guy, the chances of dating a girl even 6/10 are impossible?

@ANM775 can give you statistics but essentially your chances are a lot lower. Girls get it easier because the majority of guys will be the ones messaging first so they can pick the best looking guys. Average guys don't get much luck, it's not impossible but you're going to get a very low response rate.
Reply 8
Dating sites view guys as a way to make money. Nothing more.
They don't really care whether you meet a girl or not.

And a lot of girls (though not all) are there for validation.
Here's the low down:

The internet has made casual sex very easily attainable for women. It's as easy as ordering a take out for them. They have hundreds of men wanting them , and in the online world their standards, views, and perceptions are extremely warped. This women spend most of their 20s chasing 'Chad' or highly genetically desirable males, until their biological clock ticks, panic mode sets in, and they then get into a toxic or one-sided relationship with a 'provider'. This is what the corruption of these online mediums has done. The 80-20 rule applies here, with the top 20% of men having 80% of the women. It's a recipe for disaster. Utter corruption.
Original post by UWS
@ANM775 can give you statistics but essentially your chances are a lot lower. Girls get it easier because the majority of guys will be the ones messaging first so they can pick the best looking guys. Average guys don't get much luck, it's not impossible but you're going to get a very low response rate.

How does he have access to statistics? I guess that would explain my 1/30 response rate (1 being 15 year old girl in the end) But seriously I liked over a 1000 girls for sure and not one liked me back. This isn't even a chat feature. Seems a bit extreme to me.
How does he have access to statistics? I guess that would explain my 1/30 response rate (1 being 15 year old girl in the end) But seriously I liked over a 1000 girls for sure and not one liked me back. This isn't even a chat feature. Seems a bit extreme to me.

It's the corruption in society and the breakdown of the family structure. In the old days, you would find a girl in your village, or town, or school. These days, women are all on Tinder and such websites, and have hundreds, if not thousands of men, all wanting them for sex.Result? Utter imbalance and breakdown of families.
Original post by Drewski
Dating sites view guys as a way to make money. Nothing more.
They don't really care whether you meet a girl or not.

And a lot of girls (though not all) are there for validation.

Oops, it got to stage where I didn't care anymore and was just giving all of them validation like opening with "Hi, you're gorgeous" still these messages got read with no reply unsurprisingly.
Not all are real. Isay i say this from experience, profiles are made up, messages sent from them in order to generate revenue if a dating site. It's to lure men basically
Here's the low down:

The internet has made casual sex very easily attainable for women. It's as easy as ordering a take out for them. They have hundreds of men wanting them , and in the online world their standards, views, and perceptions are extremely warped. This women spend most of their 20s chasing 'Chad' or highly genetically desirable males, until their biological clock ticks, panic mode sets in, and they then get into a toxic or one-sided relationship with a 'provider'. This is what the corruption of these online mediums has done. The 80-20 rule applies here, with the top 20% of men having 80% of the women. It's a recipe for disaster. Utter corruption.

Oh dear. Sounds like I'm better off trying in real life. I defo no where near the "top 20%" so pretty much screwed I guess on these sites. Although me liking over 1000 girls for not a single like back does sound very extreme.

Pretty standard.

Of those, a majority won't have ever seen your interaction, a lot will be dead profiles (not logged into in X weeks, etc), others will have filtered your account settings out, then a substantial amount of those that are left will be bot accounts... You can assume of that ~1000 that maybe around 10% are real.
It's the corruption in society and the breakdown of the family structure. In the old days, you would find a girl in your village, or town, or school. These days, women are all on Tinder and such websites, and have hundreds, if not thousands of men, all wanting them for sex.Result? Utter imbalance and breakdown of families.

I guess that makes sense. It sounds like I'm much better off trying in real life.
Original post by Drewski
Pretty standard.

Of those, a majority won't have ever seen your interaction, a lot will be dead profiles (not logged into in X weeks, etc), others will have filtered your account settings out, then a substantial amount of those that are left will be bot accounts... You can assume of that ~1000 that maybe around 10% are real.

Oh wow, well that sucks.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Not all are real. Isay i say this from experience, profiles are made up, messages sent from them in order to generate revenue if a dating site. It's to lure men basically

Surely this is fraud and shouldn't be allowed though?
Surely this is fraud and shouldn't be allowed though?

Well to an extent but it's practiced.

Quick Reply

Latest