The Student Room Group

Do you use store branded products or brand name products and why?

Store branded products being ones made by stores such as Walmart (for Asda), Tesco or Marks and Spencer.

Brand name products being those made by multinationals such as Unilever or Reckitt Benckiser etc....Dettol, Durex, Scholl, Gaviscon, Walls, Lynx, Dove.

Scroll to see replies

Depends what it is I suppose, not much difference in a lot of things, but tbh I always assumed most of the own brand stuff is just licensed under deal from brands anyway? Like I'd be v surprised if Tesco has it's own wholly owned chemical plant making cleaning products.
Reply 2
Bit of both. I wear a lot of store brand clothing - Asda, Tesco etc. Some things I use brands for, e.g. cleaning materials, condoms, makeup and some bath/body things. I guess it really depends on what sort of items you're asking about.
Reply 3
Original post by becca277
Bit of both. I wear a lot of store brand clothing - Asda, Tesco etc. Some things I use brands for, e.g. cleaning materials, condoms, makeup and some bath/body things. I guess it really depends on what sort of items you're asking about.

Do you use any of these brands....

Dettol, Durex, Scholl, Gaviscon, Finish, Vanish or Air Wick
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Depends what it is I suppose, not much difference in a lot of things, but tbh I always assumed most of the own brand stuff is just licensed under deal from brands anyway? Like I'd be v surprised if Tesco has it's own wholly owned chemical plant making cleaning products.

I would assume they do, I don't think Reckitt benckiser (the owner of nurofen) would be making ibuprofen to sell to asda as a generic, but I'm not sure.
Reply 5
Original post by ma_long
Do you use any of these brands....

Durex and Air Wick, yes. The rest, nah. Cheaper alternatives that work just as well.
Entirely depends on what the item is
Reply 7
Original post by becca277
Durex and Air Wick, yes. The rest, nah. Cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

Did you know the brands I listed....

Are made by one company. Does that change your perception of what you are buying?
Reply 8
Original post by bones-mccoy
Entirely depends on what the item is

Do you use any of these brands?

Original post by ma_long
Do you use any of these brands?

Dettol and Air Wick
Reply 10
Original post by bones-mccoy
Dettol and Air Wick

Would you surprised if I told you one company makes all these brands?

Dettol, Durex, Scholl, Gaviscon, Finish, Vanish, Air Wick
Original post by ma_long
Store branded products being ones made by stores such as Walmart (for Asda), Tesco or Marks and Spencer.

Brand name products being those made by multinationals such as Unilever or Reckitt Benckiser etc....Dettol, Durex, Scholl, Gaviscon, Walls, Lynx, Dove.

Almost always own brand.
Original post by ma_long

Not really, no
Original post by ma_long

Yes i’d be suprised.
Original post by ma_long

Depends on what it is. Store brand cleaning products sometimes don’t work as well as varnish etc.. so it really does depend.

I’ve tried store brand handwash and if they smell good then i’ll use it. Branded beans which taste good like Heinz I have to buy cos they don’t taste like any other beans.

There’s one branded smell i like and no other supermarket brand does it so I have to buy that.

But super market brand stationary eg mirrors or notepads doesn’t bother me as long as the quality is there. 👌🏽
Reply 14
Original post by MKaur18
Yes i’d be suprised.

Depends on what it is. Store brand cleaning products sometimes don’t work as well as varnish etc.. so it really does depend.

I’ve tried store brand handwash and if they smell good then i’ll use it. Branded beans which taste good like Heinz I have to buy cos they don’t taste like any other beans.

There’s one branded smell i like and no other supermarket brand does it so I have to buy that.

But super market brand stationary eg mirrors or notepads doesn’t bother me as long as the quality is there. 👌🏽

Reckitt Benckiser, run by the wonderful Rakesh Kapoor, makes all those brands listed. It's a FTSE 100 company.
For clothing yes, the designs are often better and when you like the style of a certain brand you become loyal but if it's socks then i'll just get some from tesco
Health care yes, durex, dove, right guard etc
Medicine no, all products have the same ingredients so why should I pay £3 for paracetamol when the 30p one is the same
Technology yes
Most things are a yes
Original post by ma_long
I would assume they do, I don't think Reckitt benckiser (the owner of nurofen) would be making ibuprofen to sell to asda as a generic, but I'm not sure.

Maybe not Reckitt themselves, but another pharma company with the generic license,

As you say in other posts, a lot of these brands including 'competitors' are really owned by larger ones and I suspect the 'own brands' are really the same. I have a box of cheapo 'Happy Shopper' Ibuprofen here, I very much doubt there is a 'Happy Shopper medical center and pharmacy' company anywhere, The tablets are in fact by Galpharm Healthcare....and THEY are owned by Perrigo PLC....what do you think the odds are that between them Galpharm & Perrigo PLC supply a LOT of 'own brands' with identical generic products? BTW Perrigo's brands include Nytol, TCP, Tiger Balm, Solpadine and obviously, cheapo generic medicines for 'own brands' alongside them.
Original post by ma_long
Reckitt Benckiser, run by the wonderful Rakesh Kapoor, makes all those brands listed. It's a FTSE 100 company.

No way he has 35,000 employees and revenue is £11.5 billion 😱
Reply 18
Original post by MKaur18
No way he has 35,000 employees and revenue is £11.5 billion 😱

Yes, these companies are global, though he is in a bit of **** since he managed to drag the share price down from £80 to £55. They have powerbrands they try to grow, personally Reckitt's best brands are Durex and Dettol, they need to get out of the pharma game because people know the generics are just as good.
Reply 19
Original post by StriderHort
Maybe not Reckitt themselves, but another pharma company with the generic license,

As you say in other posts, a lot of these brands including 'competitors' are really owned by larger ones and I suspect the 'own brands' are really the same. I have a box of cheapo 'Happy Shopper' Ibuprofen here, I very much doubt there is a 'Happy Shopper medical center and pharmacy' company anywhere, The tablets are in fact by Galpharm Healthcare....and THEY are owned by Perrigo PLC....what do you think the odds are that between them Galpharm & Perrigo PLC supply a LOT of 'own brands' with identical generic products? BTW Perrigo's brands include Nytol, TCP, Tiger Balm, Solpadine and obviously, cheapo generic medicines for 'own brands' alongside them.

I agree, people have clocked into the pharma branding game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending