The Student Room Group

Intermittent fasting (16/8)

Anyone on this kind of... erm, diet plan? What are your thoughts? It's my 3rd day.

Scroll to see replies

Fasting is for muslims I thought? It doesn't quite work if you're trying to lose weight. Changing your diet to more healthy foods as well as increasing the amount of energy you burn during the day is the only way.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Fasting is for muslims I thought? It doesn't quite work if you're trying to lose weight. Changing your diet to more healthy foods as well as increasing the amount of energy you burn during the day is the only way.

So you don't know anything about fasting or intermittent fasting? It's not starving yourself. I'd suggest you read about it, it's very interesting that's why I'm trying/asking about it. And I'm not trying to lose weight.
Reply 3
IF works magical trust me. Been following for 2 months now. Another advantage of following IF is you don’t crave for bulky stuff after say 2 weeks which keep you motivated to keep continuing it for life tho the first 2 weeks are tough if you are foodie.
Reply 4
Sounds like a slippery slope to an eating disorder.
Original post by paulaxw
So you don't know anything about fasting or intermittent fasting? It's not starving yourself. I'd suggest you read about it, it's very interesting that's why I'm trying/asking about it. And I'm not trying to lose weight.

I've been doing it for around half a year, like you, it's not about losing weight because I have no weight problems. It's more just about consciously choosing not to eat more food than my body needs. I also like getting into the habit of it so that years down the line when metabolism slows down it won't be that hard to limit food intake if you've already been dong it for ages.
Reply 6
Original post by Mechy4
IF works magical trust me. Been following for 2 months now. Another advantage of following IF is you don’t crave for bulky stuff after say 2 weeks which keep you motivated to keep continuing it for life tho the first 2 weeks are tough if you are foodie.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I've been doing it for around half a year, like you, it's not about losing weight because I have no weight problems. It's more just about consciously choosing not to eat more food than my body needs. I also like getting into the habit of it so that years down the line when metabolism slows down it won't be that hard to limit food intake if you've already been dong it for ages.

It's been just three days for me, I'm not really hungry in the morning or evening (I was already used to not eating past 8pm, harder in the mornings, one year ago I used to eat first meal at 1pm-2pm but then I got used to eating first thing in the morning so it's just a change I have to get used to). But I feel ok, I really hope I can keep doing so. It's just a slight change to my diet, I already eat pretty healthy (or smart), I am active and just wanted to make this change because I often snack which isn't too good and in the last three days I snacked less. For now I don't really have energy to work out on an empty stomach, tried for the three days but I decided to work out after "noon breakfast" and it's better. Thanks guys, nice to see people are doing it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cat_mac
Sounds like a slippery slope to an eating disorder.

It's like saying smoking weed or drinking beer will make you an addict. If someone is smart enough they know how to eat less but healthy and with a slight calorie deficit/or no deficit at all.
Intermittent fasting is an ingenious method of cycling between periods of eating and fasting. Many studies have demonstrated that intermittent fasting can result in a wide range of positive effects in both the body and the brain.

Here are some of the benefits you can expect from intermittent fasting:

Brings about changes in cells, hormones and genes

Can help you to burn fat and lose weight

Can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body

Induces a variety of cellular repair processes

It's good for your brain

Reply 9
IF itself doesn't make you lose weight (e.g. if you always break your fast with an extra large 3000 calorie Domino's pizza :tongue:). It's being in a calorie deficit that does that, but IF can be a good strategy for some people if it makes it easier to eat less food. Personally, I use IF when I cut bodyfat purely because it helps me feel less hungry. If I eat several small meals I never feel satisfied and I'm always hungry. With IF I eat less often, but feel satisfied when I do eat so spend less time craving food. Whatever everyone else's opinion of IF is, if you're choosing healthy foods and it works for you then keep with it.
Reply 10
Original post by Kyri
IF itself doesn't make you lose weight (e.g. if you always break your fast with an extra large 3000 calorie Domino's pizza :tongue:). It's being in a calorie deficit that does that, but IF can be a good strategy for some people if it makes it easier to eat less food. Personally, I use IF when I cut bodyfat purely because it helps me feel less hungry. If I eat several small meals I never feel satisfied and I'm always hungry. With IF I eat less often, but feel satisfied when I do eat so spend less time craving food. Whatever everyone else's opinion of IF is, if you're choosing healthy foods and it works for you then keep with it.

Of course, no one is talking about losing weight here, though if done smart it's an easy way to cut the amount of calories without dieting or special diets (it's just my opinion tho, I'm new to this!). I just thought to give it a try, I already implemented a lot of healthy habits in the last year so I thought about trying this. I'm glad to see that there's a few people who do this and no one is like "that sh*t dumb" :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by paulaxw
Of course, no one is talking about losing weight here, though if done smart it's an easy way to cut the amount of calories without dieting or special diets (it's just my opinion tho, I'm new to this!). I just thought to give it a try, I already implemented a lot of healthy habits in the last year so I thought about trying this. I'm glad to see that there's a few people who do this and no one is like "that sh*t dumb" :tongue:

Oh yeah, you didn't say you're losing weight! My mistake! In the end this isn't really a "diet" anyway. It's just an eating pattern. And if you can sustain a decent diet with it and prefer eating this way, then this sh*t ain't dumb haha.
Original post by paulaxw
It's like saying smoking weed or drinking beer will make you an addict. If someone is smart enough they know how to eat less but healthy and with a slight calorie deficit/or no deficit at all.

It’s not a matter of being smart enough, but I see your point. It depends on your reasoning behind doing it and not getting addicted to the extent that it harms you.
Reply 13
Original post by cat_mac
It’s not a matter of being smart enough, but I see your point. It depends on your reasoning behind doing it and not getting addicted to the extent that it harms you.

Exactly. I also had a very unhealthy relationship with food so I know sometimes you realise you have an eating disorder when it's too late. We have to be smart about any kind of diet or eating pattern or exercise or whatever.

Original post by Kyri
Oh yeah, you didn't say you're losing weight! My mistake! In the end this isn't really a "diet" anyway. It's just an eating pattern. And if you can sustain a decent diet with it and prefer eating this way, then this sh*t ain't dumb haha.

Deep down I hope this will help me lose some more fat haha, I work out though and eat good so that's not really why I do it. But still - deep down I hope the progress will be even better, can't help it! Don't wanna depend on it though, nor on any diet or super hard/demanding workout program - I want "healthy" to become my lifestyle not just something I do to lose/maintain weight for now and then go back to overeating and zero activity.
It's thought to make losing weight or rather burning fat easier. Less insulin is produced throughout the day so less of the food you eat will be stored as fat.
Reply 15
Original post by paulaxw
I want "healthy" to become my lifestyle not just something I do to lose/maintain weight for now and then go back to overeating and zero activity.

You have the right idea! Whatever way of eating healthy foods you follow, it has to feel easy enough that it's sustainable for you long term. If it feels like hard work you won't stick to it longer than a few weeks. This is why extreme diets never work and people put the weight back on afterwards. But it seems to me you're on the right lines :smile:.
Reply 16
Original post by Kyri
You have the right idea! Whatever way of eating healthy foods you follow, it has to feel easy enough that it's sustainable for you long term. If it feels like hard work you won't stick to it longer than a few weeks. This is why extreme diets never work and people put the weight back on afterwards. But it seems to me you're on the right lines :smile:.

Thanks! I hope I'm doing it right, I rather see small changes every month for a longer period of time, even years, than just lose all the fat/extra weight within couple of months a be like "yeah, I'm done. all good" and go back to old unhealthy habits. Well anyway, I like the way I look but I still want to maintain this active lifestyle.
This is so silly. Is it that hard to consume 3 healthy meals a day and exercise?
Reply 18
Original post by Secret Soul
This is so silly. Is it that hard to consume 3 healthy meals a day and exercise?

No it's not. You eat 3 times, someone eats 5 times, someone else doesn't eat past 5pm and I don't eat before noon and past 8pm. I don't think none of these choices are silly, but then again we all have our own opinions.
Original post by paulaxw
No it's not. You eat 3 times, someone eats 5 times, someone else doesn't eat past 5pm and I don't eat before noon and past 8pm. I don't think none of these choices are silly, but then again we all have our own opinions.

You are complicating everything. Is your goal to lose weight?

Quick Reply

Latest