The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele decline in league table

Why is Keele experiencing a steady decline in the cug league tables? It’s now ranked lower than Liverpool hope. Ridiculous.
Original post by threesix
Why is Keele experiencing a steady decline in the cug league tables? It’s now ranked lower than Liverpool hope. Ridiculous.

I'd say it's fairly stable as it's only deviated by 14 places since 2008.

League tables are pretty pathetic anyway as they don't really paint a full picture. There are more important measures that are never evaluated. Keele performs well in the areas that matter such as teaching and graduate prospects so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Whats up with that decline though
Original post by Anagogic
I'd say it's fairly stable as it's only deviated by 14 places since 2008.

League tables are pretty pathetic anyway as they don't really paint a full picture. There are more important measures that are never evaluated. Keele performs well in the areas that matter such as teaching and graduate prospects so I wouldn't be too concerned.

In 2015 it was 43, then 46 and 46 again, 48 and this year 54. It is not exactly stable; the true rebuttal is that the rankings mean diddly shite. As do the teaching awards and the grad prospects, which are equally massaged tosh.

If you're going to challenge nonsensical data, such as the CUG, you cannot then rely on the grad data and the teaching stuff.
Original post by Notoriety
In 2015 it was 43, then 46 and 46 again, 48 and this year 54. It is not exactly stable; the true rebuttal is that the rankings mean diddly shite. As do the teaching awards and the grad prospects, which are equally massaged tosh.

If you're going to challenge nonsensical data, such as the CUG, you cannot then rely on the grad data and the teaching stuff.

"Fairly" stable, which it is. I didn't... I've got a reliable source :u:
Original post by Anagogic
"Fairly" stable, which it is. I didn't... I've got a reliable source :u:

Since 2015 they've gone down 11 places. If they'd dropped 10 places from the 2018 data, you'd rightly say that they are not in a stable place in the rankings. To impliedly present the drop as occurring from 2008 is misleading; there has been some recent and significant turbulence if you accept the validity of the rankings. These rankings largely predicated on grad data and teaching tosh, also.

What is your reliable source?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
It’s difficult to argue against the claim that league tables such as cug are a misleading amalgamation of largely irrelevant, massaged and (often) outdated data. However, the tables remain implicitly tied to the public perception of a university, and so a fair proportion of a university’s resources are devoted to sustaining the illusion of prestige that occurs as a result of the successful bodging of these ridiculous metrics. So, given that this illusion of prestige is correlated with position in the league tables, and sustaining this illusion is advantageous to the continued success of an institution, the question really is: why has keele, as a university of relatively considerable age, wealth and historical reputation (at least when compared to the likes of Liverpool hope etc), so struggled to effectively massage the data?
Original post by threesix
It’s difficult to argue against the claim that league tables such as cug are a misleading amalgamation of largely irrelevant, massaged and (often) outdated data. However, the tables remain implicitly tied to the public perception of a university, and so a fair proportion of a university’s resources are devoted to sustaining the illusion of prestige that occurs as a result of the successful bodging of these ridiculous metrics. So, given that this illusion of prestige is correlated with position in the league tables, and sustaining this illusion is advantageous to the continued success of an institution, the question really is: why has keele, as a university of relatively considerable age, wealth and historical reputation (at least when compared to the likes of Liverpool hope etc), so struggled to effectively massage the data?

why?
KCL is ranked near 50 in the UK every year in the guardian tables, and it's still one of the most reputable universities in the country and the world. Don't stress over league tables.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest