The Student Room Group

Is it normal to feel vibration above clutch pedal ?

Hi all

I have a 57 plate vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti 120 bhp.

I had a clutch and flywheel kit replaced on it 9 days ago, all parts brand new, LUK brand

As soon as I got the car back after the parts were fitted immediately noticed a quiet clunk when bringing up the clutch pedal but can only hear it at idle when the clutch is brought up, I thought maybe it just needs to set in but 9 days and 730 miles later the noise is still there

I've also noticed something else .....
When I'm driving along with the car in any gear if I hover my foot over the clutch pedal I feel some vibration above the pedal, the higher the rpms the stronger the vibration gets, if I slip it into neutral when driving I feel no vibration above the pedal
The clutch pedal does not vibrate when pressing and depressing the pedal , just if I'm driving and hover my foot about the pedal

Any clues or opinions about this is very much appreciated

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Cleverboy1991
Hi all

I have a 57 plate vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti 120 bhp.

I had a clutch and flywheel kit replaced on it 9 days ago, all parts brand new, LUK brand

As soon as I got the car back after the parts were fitted immediately noticed a quiet clunk when bringing up the clutch pedal but can only hear it at idle when the clutch is brought up, I thought maybe it just needs to set in but 9 days and 730 miles later the noise is still there

I've also noticed something else .....
When I'm driving along with the car in any gear if I hover my foot over the clutch pedal I feel some vibration above the pedal, the higher the rpms the stronger the vibration gets, if I slip it into neutral when driving I feel no vibration above the pedal
The clutch pedal does not vibrate when pressing and depressing the pedal , just if I'm driving and hover my foot about the pedal

Any clues or opinions about this is very much appreciated

Thanks

It doesn't sound right. Have you taken it back to the garage and asked them to check it out?
Original post by IWMTom
It doesn't sound right. Have you taken it back to the garage and asked them to check it out?

It was someone who I know who works from home doing cars who did the job, I only allowed him to do the job as he towed the car back as the release bearing failed and sunk to the floor and wouldn't come back up so had to have it towed home.
I would never really have him work on my car under other circumstances,

I've took it back to him but he's just basically saying it's normal but I don't really believe that
Reply 3
Original post by Cleverboy1991
It was someone who I know who works from home doing cars who did the job, I only allowed him to do the job as he towed the car back as the release bearing failed and sunk to the floor and wouldn't come back up so had to have it towed home.
I would never really have him work on my car under other circumstances,

I've took it back to him but he's just basically saying it's normal but I don't really believe that

Sigh... you're forever coming back to us with problems after messing about. Take it to a proper mechanic who knows what they're doing to have a look at it - they'll know whether it's "normal" or not.

If it didn't happen before, it shouldn't realistically be happening now.
Original post by IWMTom
Sigh... you're forever coming back to us with problems after messing about. Take it to a proper mechanic who knows what they're doing to have a look at it - they'll know whether it's "normal" or not.

If it didn't happen before, it shouldn't realistically be happening now.
T

This car has been brilliant compared to the other cars
Reply 5
Did the Pilot Bearing get changed? If not there is a chance that is the problem. It may have already been worn and other clutch issues were more apparent, or perhaps the old parts had bedded in with the bearing so when the parts were replaced the problem arose. Also it could just be manufacturing tolerances causing it. Try listening to the clutch as you are engaging and disengaging it and hear if there are any odd noises or differences when in gear vs neutral.

Also is the clutch mechanically or hydraulically actuated?
Original post by Ammi6543
Did the Pilot Bearing get changed? If not there is a chance that is the problem. It may have already been worn and other clutch issues were more apparent, or perhaps the old parts had bedded in with the bearing so when the parts were replaced the problem arose. Also it could just be manufacturing tolerances causing it. Try listening to the clutch as you are engaging and disengaging it and hear if there are any odd noises or differences when in gear vs neutral.

Also is the clutch mechanically or hydraulically actuated?

hi

Thanks for your reply.

Im not sure what a pilot bearing is, I bought the whole kit brand new which included the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and release bearing.
The clutch is hydraulic.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending