The Student Room Group

What's preferable A levels or Foundation Year?

Hiya, I just wanted to what really is "Foundation Year." Many of my relatives suggest me to do foundation year instead of a levels as its of only 1 year while a levels is of 2 so it's going to save my year. I really dont whether it's true or not so I want your answers for that ^~^
And also Im doing O levels right now what's your opinion what should I opt for A levels or Foundation year?
Reply 1
Original post by Mtayyab21
Hiya, I just wanted to what really is "Foundation Year." Many of my relatives suggest me to do foundation year instead of a levels as its of only 1 year while a levels is of 2 so it's going to save my year. I really dont whether it's true or not so I want your answers for that ^~^
And also Im doing O levels right now what's your opinion what should I opt for A levels or Foundation year?

You can't go straight from O Levels (which are equivalent to UK GCSE) to a foundation year. In your situation, you need to take A Levels and you'll then be able to go to the first year of university.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You can't go straight from O Levels (which are equivalent to UK GCSE) to a foundation year. In your situation, you need to take A Levels and you'll then be able to go to the first year of university.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311
I think foundation years require alevel or equivalent and they can also be used for people who are inter in a course but didn’t quite meet the entry requirements, email university admissions and see what they think
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4

A foundation year is for those with A-levels (or equivalent) but they either have "poor" grades, or they did the wrong A-level subjects for a particular university course. So for example you could do an Engineering Foundation if you didn't have A-level Maths, but you did have 3 other A-levels.

So OP does need to have level 3 qualifications, such as A-levels.
Reply 5

Two people in my year group, who did quite well at GCSE, plan to do foundation year in aeronautical engineering after Year 12. One will have ASs in Physics, Biology and Maths, and the other will have ASs in Physics, Chemistry and Maths. I changed schools for sixth form and went from a large, Humanities- centric school which was very ''British school'' in culture (Lots of people did year 13, went on to do proper courses in their desired fields in the UK), to a smaller, science- centric and overall very less English school, where nearly all the students believe that foundation is an alternative to year 13. This confuses me as I thought foundation years were meant to be taken by people who didn't meet their entry requirements for their course, or people who did not take the relevant subjects for the course they wished to study. They're both predicted AAA/AAB/ABB for their AS exams, and as previously stated, have mainly A*-A grades in most subjects.Please could someone clear this up for me?

Your relatives are confused and giving you advice which is nonsense. Other people have explained the situation.

Original post by sy212

Two people in my year group, who did quite well at GCSE, plan to do foundation year in aeronautical engineering after Year 12. One will have ASs in Physics, Biology and Maths, and the other will have ASs in Physics, Chemistry and Maths. I changed schools for sixth form and went from a large, Humanities- centric school which was very ''British school'' in culture (Lots of people did year 13, went on to do proper courses in their desired fields in the UK), to a smaller, science- centric and overall very less English school, where nearly all the students believe that foundation is an alternative to year 13. This confuses me as I thought foundation years were meant to be taken by people who didn't meet their entry requirements for their course, or people who did not take the relevant subjects for the course they wished to study. They're both predicted AAA/AAB/ABB for their AS exams, and as previously stated, have mainly A*-A grades in most subjects.Please could someone clear this up for me?

They almost certainly won't be able to do what they're saying. A foundation year is not an alternative to year 12 and/or 13. Who is telling them that?
Original post by sy212

You have to look at the entry requirements. Foundation years as opposed to foundation degrees are meant for people who have weak grades or the wrong subjects. I dont believe it is a widespread alternative. The AS level is more or less redundant these days. I would rather finish year 13.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You have to look at the entry requirements. Foundation years as opposed to foundation degrees are meant for people who have weak grades or the wrong subjects. I dont believe it is a widespread alternative. The AS level is more or less redundant these days. I would rather finish year 13.

we are international students, and therefore still follow the AS/A2 system, but yes, I completely agree! Foundation is most certainly not an alternative to year 13, and i believe they will suffer if they do not have their complete A2s
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
Your relatives are confused and giving you advice which is nonsense. Other people have explained the situation.

They almost certainly won't be able to do what they're saying. A foundation year is not an alternative to year 12 and/or 13. Who is telling them that?

Who knows! This is very strange to me, because as far as I am aware, they have the relevant subjects and will be able to achieve the grades they need for the course if they stay for year 13
Original post by sy212
we are international students, and therefore still follow the AS/A2 system, but yes, I completely agree! Foundation is most certainly not an alternative to year 13, and i believe they will suffer if they do not have their complete A2s

In that case it might make more sense. they are keener to get away from home imo and the uni wants their money.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
In that case it might make more sense. they are keener to get away from home imo and the uni wants their money.

but it will affect them negatively in the long term- as they will not have their complete a2s. They are a little bit lazy, immature and stubborn, and I don't think being away from would help them pass foundation year, in which case they're essentially screwed.

Quick Reply

Latest