The Student Room Group

Range Rover Evoque

I'm due to move to a village, starting from July. I'm looking for a new car as I'll need something to help me get about. I'm attracted to the Range Rover Evoque, but unfortunately, it's a status car that screams new money.

I was wondering what type cars people would recommend? I'm looking for something new and nice, but not so much about status.
Original post by Fruli
I'm due to move to a village, starting from July. I'm looking for a new car as I'll need something to help me get about. I'm attracted to the Range Rover Evoque, but unfortunately, it's a status car that screams new money.

I was wondering what type cars people would recommend? I'm looking for something new and nice, but not so much about status.

In my opinion, the Evoque is overpriced for what it is, and JLR aren't really known for reliability.

What's your budget? Any requirements (seats, fuel economy, performance, insurance etc)?
Reply 2
Original post by TheMindGarage
In my opinion, the Evoque is overpriced for what it is, and JLR aren't really known for reliability.

What's your budget? Any requirements (seats, fuel economy, performance, insurance etc)?

I want something that will last me a while. I had my first car for a decade (Renault Clio). I want something new as I think I may possibly keep it for the long haul. I’m looking to go for a finance option.

I’m thinking 4w drive as I will be living in the countryside. It will be good for snow.

My budget is up to £400 a month, I want to include insurance in that budget. I’m not sure howmuch my insurance would be as I haven’t had a policy since 2014. My policy on my clio was around 400 a year 2014. I’ll be starting from scratch with NCB.

I’m thinking a 4 seater. I’m thinking diesel, as I find diesel cars more fuel efficient, despite emissions.

What are your thoughts?

My dad also did say the same about Range Rover being unreliable.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Volvo XC60. Would suggest an XC40, but finding a dealer able to order you one this year will be like finding a unicorn! BMW X3, Audi Q3 etc.

Alternative just get something front wheel drive and put winter tyres on it for 4 months of the year and you'll be nearly as well off, possibly better so than 4WD with summer tyres! Lots of dealers are having trouble shifting diesel stock right now, so getting one pre registered or a few months old will save you loads of money right now.
Original post by Fruli
I want something that will last me a while. I had my first car for a decade (Renault Clio). I want something new as I think I may possibly keep it for the long haul. I’m looking to go for a finance option.

I’m thinking 4w drive as I will be living in the countryside. It will be good for snow.

My budget is up to £400 a month, I want to include insurance in that budget. I’m not sure howmuch my insurance would be as I haven’t had a policy since 2014. My policy on my clio was around 400 a year 2014. I’ll be starting from scratch with NCB.

I’m thinking a 4 seater. I’m thinking diesel, as I find diesel cars more fuel efficient, despite emissions.

What are your thoughts?

My dad also did say the same about Range Rover being unreliable.

Audi A3 or A4 TDI?

To be honest, there is little need for 4WD in the UK. Using winter tyres when necessary will usually make a much bigger difference than two extra driven wheels.
Reply 5
Audi A3 or A4 TDI?

To be honest, there is little need for 4WD in the UK. Using winter tyres when necessary will usually make a much bigger difference than two extra driven wheels.

Original post by dhr90
Volvo XC60. Would suggest an XC40, but finding a dealer able to order you one this year will be like finding a unicorn! BMW X3, Audi Q3 etc.

Alternative just get something front wheel drive and put winter tyres on it for 4 months of the year and you'll be nearly as well off, possibly better so than 4WD with summer tyres! Lots of dealers are having trouble shifting diesel stock right now, so getting one pre registered or a few months old will save you loads of money right now.

Thank you. Loads of great ideas.

I’m leaning towards the Q3.
Reply 6
Original post by Fruli

Jaguar F-pace or E-Pace
Reply 7
Audi A3 or A4 TDI?

And lets be honest, just how often in the UK (ok, somewhat area dependant) do we really need winter tyres, even in winter? Less than a week a year most of the time.
Reply 8
Just lease one.
Original post by Fruli

4 wheel drive isn't necessary at all for the countryside, not even around where I live. Not even for snow.

When it snows, just use snow tyres.

[video="youtube;mfuE00qdhLA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA[/video]

(Or get some snow socks)
Reply 10
Thanks all for your responses.

I thought about it over night. I’ve decided to just get an old banger that would last me a year or so, whilst I save up for a decent car, as I’d rather do a cash buy than go down the finance/lease route.

At least it will give me time to research new cars. In 2013, it would have been an easy choice, I would have gone for mini, but I’m now past the mini stage. I now want something more grown up but nice.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest