The Student Room Group

Msc Data Science - College suggestion based on profile.

Could you please advice on the best university choice for me based on my profile ? I have collected few universities myself , please advice on the best option in those.

Profile:

Full stack web developer - 5+ years in industry.
(C#, .Net, ReactJS, Nodejs, Python)

Bachelors Course - CSE - 80%

University Options

1) Msc Data Science -University of Glasgow

2) Msc Data Analytics - University of Warwick

3) Msc Data Science - Swansea

4) Msc Big Data - Univ of Stirling

5) Msc Data Analytics - Belfast

6) Big Data and High performance Computing - Liverpool

7) Msc Data Science - Lancaster

8) Msc Data Science, City, University of London

Could you please help rank these universities for data science purely in terms of job prospects post graduation ? Are any of these courses clearly better than anything else ? Please advice.

<PS: This has been posted in CS and IT as well>
(edited 5 years ago)
Bump, Please suggest !
Original post by sriramdesikan
Bump, Please suggest !

They are Universities, not Colleges. A College is, by and large, a Further Education institution, not Higher Education.

Job prospects post graduation will depend on you, more than the university you went to, but you can research each course and see what they say about graduate employment.
Original post by threeportdrift
They are Universities, not Colleges. A College is, by and large, a Further Education institution, not Higher Education.

Job prospects post graduation will depend on you, more than the university you went to, but you can research each course and see what they say about graduate employment.

Thank you for correcting, i have edited my question. But does job prospect depend purely on an individual ? Wouldnt a person who did a Msc from UCL have better job prospects than someone from a lower rated college ? I know it does to a good extent. If you could suggest if some university is better than other ones i have mentioned in the list, please do so. Would really help with my decision.
Original post by sriramdesikan
Thank you for correcting, i have edited my question. But does job prospect depend purely on an individual ? Wouldnt a person who did a Msc from UCL have better job prospects than someone from a lower rated college ? I know it does to a good extent. If you could suggest if some university is better than other ones i have mentioned in the list, please do so. Would really help with my decision.

Yes, sure, you'd have stronger job prospects form UCL than from a low end Uni, but if you had poor workplace skills and a degree from UCl, and another candidate excellent workplace skills from a low ranking Uni, the second candidate would probably get the job.

Within the places you've mentioned, personality and fit are more important, they are too close academically for the degree to make much difference. I'd hazard Warwick, Glasgow and Lancaster are the best of that group.
Any reason you're not considering Imperial? Glasgow, Warwick, Lancaster and UCL all seem like solid options and they all have good links with employers. Glasgow, along with Edinburgh (also worth considering), are very closely connected to employers in that "triangle". I'm looking at similar courses, but more focused on Data Analytics than Data Science, and I'm leaning to the UoG's course, atm. Also considering St Andrews for it.

The "top universities" site has global rankings for each uni as well as aggregated graduate employability statistics, and subject-specific information, so I'd consult that if I were you as a starting point.
(edited 5 years ago)
@TCA2b What are my chances to get into top ones like Imperial , UCL, Glasgow or Lancaster ?
What was your result for your first degree? A first? I take it the 80% was the overall grade?

You shouldn't have difficulty getting in, if so. Also bear in mind the process costs nothing but the time you put in applying. Some universities charge an application fee but it's still something like £50 at most.

I'd also add Cass and Bath to the universities worth looking into. Just bear in mind some ask for familiarity with Maths, usually to A level standard, or equivalent through degree modules or professional experience.
Original post by TCA2b
What was your result for your first degree? A first? I take it the 80% was the overall grade?

You shouldn't have difficulty getting in, if so. Also bear in mind the process costs nothing but the time you put in applying. Some universities charge an application fee but it's still something like £50 at most.

I'd also add Cass and Bath to the universities worth looking into. Just bear in mind some ask for familiarity with Maths, usually to A level standard, or equivalent through degree modules or professional experience.

A level - 96%
Bachelors degree in CSE - 80%
I see what you mean in terms of cost of applying. I will consider, thank you! Fee for few universities(ICL for example) seem exorbitant considering i am a non eu student! Do you know if scholarships are attainable ?
There's many of them, the university websites are the best place to look. In terms of whether the Bachelors is enough, it depends on the university/country it's from, as I'm not sure what an "80%" would translate to in this context, i.e. whether it'd be a 2:i or a First, but I'd imagine you have a decent shot.
Original post by TCA2b
There's many of them, the university websites are the best place to look. In terms of whether the Bachelors is enough, it depends on the university/country it's from, as I'm not sure what an "80%" would translate to in this context, i.e. whether it'd be a 2:i or a First, but I'd imagine you have a decent shot.

Seeing few references online , i think CGPA of 8.0 in indian system should roughly be equivalent to 2:1 in UK at the very least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending