The Student Room Group

Qe, beachamp, or leicester grammar????

ok so I'm at LGS currently and im enjoying it i guess but for A-levels they don't have what i want to do.
i want to do: Art, History or English lit, and Graphic-communication

LGS only do Art and History and if i do do english then i won't get to study the books i want to (gothic horror)

QE and beachamp both do all of these subjects and if i get into all of them what should i go for?i know LGS is meant to be one of the best but its quite strict and i don't have many friends there. i really just want to start a new leaf (or however the saying goes) and become more independent.im not super smart and sometimes i need a bit of guidance.

also my best friend is going to QE and i don't want to let her down if she goes and i don't because were really close (we wanna go to the same uni)
also apparently in beachamp its really hard to make friends because everyone already has their friendship group and QE is really easy to make friends

so plz help i legit don't know where to go and i want someone else to tell me where i should go. like if you've been to these schools then what did you think of them?? i get mixed reviews about all of them
(edited 6 years ago)
QE attracts the best students from across the midlands. Students travel in by bus and train to go there. A number of students each year end up going to oxbridge

Lgs is also a good college. Tight nit and good support.

Would think much of Beauchamp.
Original post by Skyewoods
QE attracts the best students from across the midlands. Students travel in by bus and train to go there. A number of students each year end up going to oxbridge

Lgs is also a good college. Tight nit and good support.

Would think much of Beauchamp.

LGS is the best Sixth form College in the East Midlands, with an Average A level grade of A, compared with C- at QE and C at Beauchamp. QE does not attract the best students across the East Midlands, stop trying to romanticise such an atrocious college. Leicester Grammar School provides exceptional facilities, with the best teachers (doctorates in their field), with access to many competitions and providing a plethora of opportunities to express leadership to such as STEM Leader, Senior Prefect, or Student Support, Leicester Grammar can bump up your application. Moreover, LGS has 3 publications, the Leicestrian, the Peacock magazine and the Young Scientist Journal, providing a platform to share your global affairs and knowledge. The house system really explores organization and commitment to House Events such as spelling bee, general knowledge and a range of sporting events.

The average class size at LGS is 4-8 (A-Level)
WQE is around 30-40, therefore at LGS you will most likely experience the attentive focus from your teachers, in addition to accelerating through the course as a class.
WQE currently is merging with Regent College, as a result of financial struggles, moreover being rated poorly by OFSTED.

Most importantly at LGS you can have some nice food at the Red Squirrel Cafe, free from those pesty lower school kids.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Science99999
LGS is the best Sixth form College in the East Midlands, with an Average A level grade of A, compared with C- at QE and C at Beauchamp. QE does not attract the best students across the East Midlands, stop trying to romanticise such an atrocious college. Leicester Grammar School provides exceptional facilities, with the best teachers (doctorates in their field), with access to many competitions and providing a plethora of opportunities to express leadership to such as STEM Leader, Senior Prefect, or Student Support, Leicester Grammar can bump up your application. Moreover, LGS has 3 publications, the Leicestrian, the Peacock magazine and the Young Scientist Journal, providing a platform to share your global affairs and knowledge. The house system really explores organization and commitment to House Events such as spelling bee, general knowledge and a range of sporting events. Why would any delusional person leave LGS to the abomination they call WQE.

The average class size at LGS is 4-8 (A-Level)
WQE is around 30-40, therefore at LGS you will most likely experience the attentive focus from your teachers, in addition to accelerating through the course as a class.
WQE currently is merging with Regent College, as a result of financial struggles, moreover being rated poorly by OFSTED.

Most importantly at LGS you can have some nice food at the Red Squirrel Cafe, free from those pesty lower school kids.

Such rubbish. QE does not have 30-40 in a class. Classes are much much smaller. Also the access to facilities and connections to top universities is higher than LGS. QE is one of the best colleges in the region and is always over subscribed. A lot of what you have said is random rubbish from someone who has no experience of the college and is bias to their own school.

The other person wanted to know what it's best for them and the utter non sense you talk about.

LGS outranks this pathetic state schools.

Your snobbery for anyone going to a state school says a lot of the kind of person you are
Reply 5
Such rubbish. QE does not have 30-40 in a class. Classes are much much smaller. Also the access to facilities and connections to top universities is higher than LGS. QE is one of the best colleges in the region and is always over subscribed. A lot of what you have said is random rubbish from someone who has no experience of the college and is bias to their own school.

The other person wanted to know what it's best for them and the utter non sense you talk about.

QE is also filled with lethargic idiots and has restricted opportunities that do not foster one's extensive thirst to learn. Furthermore, LGS has a significantly higher Oxford Admission Success rate, 22% for Oxford compared with 16% and 15% with WQE and Beauchamp respectively. Our overall Oxbridge Success rate is around 25-27%, as opposed to 11 and 12%.

LGS outranks this pathetic state schools. It is insane for one to think that you'd do better away.

I, funnily enough, go to WQE. WQE barely has 20 in a class, firstly. Some classes have less than 20 students. WQE is rated **good** by Ofsted. WQE is actually a pretty good college overall, I personally like it and as someone who is a top achiever, I think they really helped me get there and provided excellent notes and resources. I would recommend going there.
I'm at lhs and I'm guessing lgs would be better. Lgs does tend to place a lot of pressure on their students, If you wanna be slightly more chilled out but in one of the better colleges of leics then QE.
Reply 7
QE is also filled with lethargic idiots and has restricted opportunities that do not foster one's extensive thirst to learn. Furthermore, LGS has a significantly higher Oxford Admission Success rate, 22% for Oxford compared with 16% and 15% with WQE and Beauchamp respectively. Our overall Oxbridge Success rate is around 25-27%, as opposed to 11 and 12%.

LGS outranks this pathetic state schools. It is insane for one to think that you'd do better away.

There are SO many opportunities at WQE. You wouldn't believe the amount of emails we get about tasters, possible part time jobs, so many careers events in college, > 1 mock exam interview for uni, so many enrichments and activities to choose from, and the list goes on and on.

Stop talking nonsense, LGS outperforms WQE. I have loads of friends and Old School Peers who go to WQE, and they aren't the brightest, the only reason why it is oversubscribed is that they provide 1200 places per year, in addition to being easily accessible. LGS has better access to top facilities with strong connections with Leicester University, Nottingham, Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge, and Imperial. Currently, Leicester University has provided exclusively 7 research placements to LGS students, this cannot be accessed by any state students since the professors have either been parents or governors at the school. We also have the opportunity to construct a car, with links to Jaguar, many financial services, Aston Martin etc. Both Young Enterprise teams have won the best teams in Leicestershire, being first and dominating the tables against al the other schools. We have students who have come first in the Essay competitions at Cambridge, being commended in the RSC Analyst competitions for chemistry, exclusively open to Private schools and coming in the top 3 in the regional senior maths challenge. Moreover, one of our students has one the Oxbridge Prize out of two students in the entire world, to go to America and participate in research and activities at the NIH, as a result of his exceptional EPQ. I don't see QE doing this.
Original post by Quizlet
There are SO many opportunities at WQE. You wouldn't believe the amount of emails we get about tasters, possible part time jobs, so many careers events in college, > 1 mock exam interview for uni, so many enrichments and activities to choose from, and the list goes on and on.

Every school has what you have. LGS has exclusive access to a Network of old Leicestrians, being offered as many work experience placements related to their course by ex-students, being able to go to a plethora of mock Oxbridge interviews at other Private schools, most notably Harrow School. You're comparing a mouse to a lion. LGS has career evenings almost every week, Medicine was last week, with finance, law, and engineering evenings being held, a hub of career days and for universities to advertise to exceptional and bright students. LGS is a hub for many regional activities. Our elective programmes run every week, with lectures from leading professionals in their field, and many more activites.

You're opportunities are nothing compared to what we offer.
Every school has what you have. LGS has exclusive access to a Network of old Leicestrians, being offered as many work experience placements related to their course by ex-students, being able to go to a plethora of mock Oxbridge interviews at other Private schools, most notably Harrow School. You're comparing a mouse to a lion. LGS has career evenings almost every week, Medicine was last week, with finance, law, and engineering evenings being held, a hub of career days and for universities to advertise to exceptional and bright students. LGS is a hub for many regional activities. Our elective programmes run every week, with lectures from leading professionals in their field, and many more activites.

You're opportunities are nothing compared to what we offer.

Okay, but WQE has worked for me and honestly, I've been predicted 4 A's, it's helped top achievers like me, I feel so happy with the environment and the people I'm around. I feel like I've had a balance of academia and opportunities and a proper social life and I think that's extremely important. WQE has, essentially, prepared me for a lot of things e.g. life skills, mock interviews and I also get to do 2 enrichments a week. Wherever you go, it's important to have a balance of all three, and I've had that balance.
Original post by Quizlet
Okay, but WQE has worked for me and honestly, I've been predicted 4 A's, it's helped top achievers like me, I feel so happy with the environment and the people I'm around. I feel like I've had a balance of academia and opportunities and a proper social life and I think that's extremely important. WQE has, essentially, prepared me for a lot of things e.g. life skills, mock interviews and I also get to do 2 enrichments a week. Wherever you go, it's important to have a balance of all three, and I've had that balance.

Regardless Leicester Grammar School is better than WQE, one needs to experience Private School Life before making inadequate comparisons. Although, I have many friends who attend WQE, and the level of opportunities and enrichment or career practice is considerably low to what LGS offers, there are many things at LGS which cannot be achieved elsewhere.
Original post by Quizlet

Agreed! My son has just started (first year, doing PE, Physics and Psychology) and he absolutely loves the atmosphere and the University campus. He said Hehe feels like going to Uni already. Context : Hes a high achiever (all A and A* from GSCE) and I think this environment suits perfectly his desire for independent learning. He s making new friends fast, took futsal as enrichment and he seems very happy about the teachers so far. He told me there are never more than 20 students in each class. 👍I think the merging with Regent has caused lots of issues in the past year and teachers strikes have made lots of people nervous. I was quite nervous as a parent myself regarding WQE but now I must recognise it s a great college!
Frankimoon, a year down the line are you still happy with qwe? Do they push the brighter students or are the held back in class due to "lower achievers"?

Quick Reply

Latest