The Student Room Group

Getting into uni to do Japanese with a BTEC

Anyone managed to do this? A Levels are not for me and I'm too young to do an access to HE course. A couple of good unis have said they'd accept a 'Pearson national extended diploma' for japanese. A language at A Level is not necessary.
So, has anyone got into Japanese at uni with just a pearson national extended diploma?
What about a different type of extended diploma? (My only option is a CACHE technical extended diploma in H&SC.
Or am I ****ed?
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

so you can only do the cache in health and social care?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
so you can only do the cache in health and social care?

For health and social care it's not 'pearson national extended diploma', they referred to it as a 'technical extended diploma' on their website. I'm like 99% sure that's a cache one. There aren't many colleges near me and none do the pearson national one.
I think there may be some pearson national extended diplomas in other subjects, but they're in things like science and business which are waayy beyond me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by YasudaSayo
For health and social care it's not 'pearson national extended diploma', they referred to it as a technical diploma or something. I'm like 99% sure that's a cache one. There aren't many colleges near me and none do the pearson national one.
I think there may be some pearson national extended diplomas in other subjects, but they're in things like science and business which are waayy beyond me.

Extended diploma in IT if you like computers.
For health and social care there is only a CACHE option in my area. Not many colleges near me.

it does attract ucas points but i don't think it's as widely accepted as btecs can be so it'd be easier if say you could do a btec in health and social care.
Reply 5
Original post by Student1191
Extended diploma in IT if you like computers.

You got into uni with it and did Japanese? Computers are okay but I'm really not smart enough for that kind of thing lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
it does attract ucas points but i don't think it's as widely accepted as btecs can be so it'd be easier if say you could do a btec in health and social care.

yeah but a 'pearson national extended diploma' in h&sc doesnt seem to be an option in my area... im really at a loss. maybe i should just work in retail until i'm old enough to do an access to HE diploma?
You got into uni with it and did Japanese? Computers are okay but I'm really not smart enough for that kind of thing lol

No I was just suggesting one extended diploma I was aware of. From what you’ve said it doesn’t seem to matter for the uni that you asked. Just get an extended diploma and enhance your application by practicing Japanese before you get there
Reply 8
No I was just suggesting one extended diploma I was aware of. From what you’ve said it doesn’t seem to matter for the uni that you asked. Just get an extended diploma and enhance your application by practicing Japanese before you get there

that just seems kinda risky though... they all specify 'pearson national'.
that just seems kinda risky though... they all specify 'pearson national'.

A national diploma is worth 1 A level. An extended diploma is worth 3
yeah but a 'pearson national extended diploma' in h&sc doesnt seem to be an option in my area... im really at a loss. maybe i should just work in retail until i'm old enough to do an access to HE diploma?

how old are you now?
OP, I'm just wondering why you would do an access to HE diploma but not A levels?

Studying a language degree is quite an academic undertaking, so you wouldn't just be learning Japanese, you would also be taking courses in Japanese history/literature/politics/culture etc. If you're very against doing A levels, are you sure you want to do a Japanese degree? And if you do want to do a Japanese degree are you *sure* A levels aren't for you?

You keep saying you're not clever enough to do various things which isn't a great mindset to start from. It seems like you are limiting yourself unnecessarily to me.
Reply 12
A national diploma is worth 1 A level. An extended diploma is worth 3

No, they want a 'pearson national extended diploma'. Rather than a 'technical extended diploma'. Both are worth 3 a levels, both are extended diplomas.
Reply 13
how old are you now?

17. I'm in year 12 but I left my course literally 2 days ago (on friday). Was doing CACHE childcare which was too clownish for me. Looking for something better for september
17. I'm in year 12 but I left my course literally 2 days ago (on friday). Was doing CACHE childcare which was too clownish for me. Looking for something better for september

Same. I’m doing AS levels but I think I’ll fail so I’m going to do extended level 3 it

If you didnt enjoy childcare then you might not find health and social care that much better, but if you can do a btec then do that
Reply 16
Original post by trou_noir
OP, I'm just wondering why you would do an access to HE diploma but not A levels?

Studying a language degree is quite an academic undertaking, so you wouldn't just be learning Japanese, you would also be taking courses in Japanese history/literature/politics/culture etc. If you're very against doing A levels, are you sure you want to do a Japanese degree? And if you do want to do a Japanese degree are you *sure* A levels aren't for you?

You keep saying you're not clever enough to do various things which isn't a great mindset to start from. It seems like you are limiting yourself unnecessarily to me.

I am fine with academics as long as it's genuinely interesting to me. All the A Levels I was planning on doing have been made out to be monstrous life consuming subjects. I don't want to sacrifice 2 years and bet my entire life's worth on a set of exams. I don't do well with exams and I value my mental health. Admittedly I'm pretty lazy as well.
I hate essay based subjects because the mark scheme is far too vague. I like things black and white. Can't do A Level maths because my school never taught us the grade 7-9 criteria since we were the first year to ever do 9-4 maths. They were too scared to teach us grade 7-9 **** because they just wanted us to secure grade 5. Grade 6 for the lucky ones. I was lucky enough to be allowed to do the higher paper due to this fiasco.
Reply 17
If you didnt enjoy childcare then you might not find health and social care that much better, but if you can do a btec then do that

Well, I loved that the course was all coursework, it was like a gift from god not having to memorise 2 year's worth of content. My problem was being assessed at placement (I'd have to plan activities and carry them out, my teacher gave 0 help, I attempted around 4 activities and failed each time when I had to pass 8 throughout the course).
Health and social care would be great if it didn't have assessments at placement. Honestly I'm not sure if they do or not. No point in even finding out though if the course isn't pearson national extended diploma. Idk what I'm going to do now lol
Well, I loved that the course was all coursework, it was like a gift from god not having to memorise 2 year's worth of content. My problem was being assessed at placement (I'd have to plan activities and carry them out, my teacher gave 0 help, I attempted around 4 activities and failed each time when I had to pass 8 throughout the course).
Health and social care would be great if it didn't have assessments at placement. Honestly I'm not sure if they do or not. No point in even finding out though if the course isn't pearson national extended diploma. Idk what I'm going to do now lol

find out exactly what all the courses available are in the local area, i m sure there ll be somewhere with btecs you could do
Reply 19
find out exactly what all the courses available are in the local area, i m sure there ll be somewhere with btecs you could do

Only 2 colleges in my area, both do h&sc and neither are pearson national. What about my plan to work in retail until I'm old enough for an access to HE course? Is that plan no good?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending