The Student Room Group

gap year too risky?

so the uni course i want to do will have a compulsory year a broad on the 2nd year (which already sounds scary because i would have just settled in after my first year but im excited for the year abroad itself)
i also want to take a year abroad before because i need some time to save money and also just be able to do exactly what i want to do without education getting in the way before i go do an entire degree.
my problem is that im barely in a proper routine now (im in yr12) and im scared that the gap year will make it difficult for me to transition back into education (although i intend on doing lots of relevant reading)
my other concern is will it be too much to go from a gap year to a first year at uni then on a year abroad then back at uni for 2 years? i like change but will this make anything difficult for the last 2 years or any other things im not expecting because to me it seems like an amazing opportunity to build up my cv?

any help is much appreciated!!
what are you studying? tbh i wish i took a gap year because it would have been a nice break from education which i wouldn’t be able to get after graduation. I didn’t though because i’m studying chemistry and if i took a year off it would be difficult to get back into the flow of things. If you can’t adjust to change well then maybe it’s best you go straight to uni?
Original post by filmaker
so the uni course i want to do will have a compulsory year a broad on the 2nd year (which already sounds scary because i would have just settled in after my first year but im excited for the year abroad itself)
i also want to take a year abroad before because i need some time to save money and also just be able to do exactly what i want to do without education getting in the way before i go do an entire degree.
my problem is that im barely in a proper routine now (im in yr12) and im scared that the gap year will make it difficult for me to transition back into education (although i intend on doing lots of relevant reading)
my other concern is will it be too much to go from a gap year to a first year at uni then on a year abroad then back at uni for 2 years? i like change but will this make anything difficult for the last 2 years or any other things im not expecting because to me it seems like an amazing opportunity to build up my cv?

When you go abroad as part of a degree you'll still be studying, they don't just send you off to do nothing. Also if you feel like you're not ready to to go to uni just yet then by all means take a gap year - the transition back to education will probably be easier than you think & forcing yourself to go to uni when you're not ready isn't a good idea at all and you'll soon burn out and possibly regret not taking a gap year.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bubblegumcat
what are you studying? tbh i wish i took a gap year because it would have been a nice break from education which i wouldn’t be able to get after graduation. I didn’t though because i’m studying chemistry and if i took a year off it would be difficult to get back into the flow of things. If you can’t adjust to change well then maybe it’s best you go straight to uni?

english lit so im pretty sure if i carry on reading i'll be fine compared to stem
Reply 4
Original post by weakweakling
When you go abroad as part of a degree you'll still be studying, they don't just send you off to do nothing. Also if you feel like you're not ready to to go to uni just yet then by all means take a gap year - the transition back to education will probably be easier than you think & forcing yourself to go to uni when you're not ready isn't a good idea at all and you'll soon burn out and possibly regret not taking a gap year.

Hope this helps :smile:

yeah i completely get that, what i meant was would it be too much to move every year for 3 years because the studying in the year abroad will be completely different as will my lifestyle
yeah i completely get that, what i meant was would it be too much to move every year for 3 years because the studying in the year abroad will be completely different as will my lifestyle

It depends on how well you deal with change. Personally I think it would be quite rewarding because you're in different environments surrounded by different people, both of which have amazing new opportunities and experiences to offer. Something like that (providing you learn something from it) will look fantastic on a CV/interviews if you're reflecting properly. It's all down to you, if you feel that the course is the right one for you, and you like the idea of studying in a different place, then definitely go for it.
Reply 6
Original post by weakweakling
It depends on how well you deal with change. Personally I think it would be quite rewarding because you're in different environments surrounded by different people, both of which have amazing new opportunities and experiences to offer. Something like that (providing you learn something from it) will look fantastic on a CV/interviews if you're reflecting properly. It's all down to you, if you feel that the course is the right one for you, and you like the idea of studying in a different place, then definitely go for it.

thank you for your help!
Reply 7
s

it will make no difference. there's no trouble "transitioning" back. you're young and uni is so different from a-levels anyway. a-levels are so basic. if you feel like you've forgotten anything just read your a-level revision guide if you must. anyone who thinks they'll forget enough a-level knowledge after 1 year to make uni difficult is kidding themselves or just really forgetful. take a gap year. i think everyone should take a gap year if they can. they're so beneficial. also you can "intend" to do as much relevant reading as you like.... you won't :biggrin:

if you feel like you don't want to go to uni after a gap year then that probably means it isn't for you anyway.

I think it's weird the year abroad is in 2nd year though? that means the friendships you make in 1st year won't solidify when you're out of halls? I found that my second year really showed who my actual friends were from 1st year, rather than those that were clearly just friends for convenience.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Moura
it will make no difference. there's no trouble "transitioning" back. you're young and uni is so different from a-levels anyway. take a gap year. i think everyone should take a gap year if they can. they're so beneficial. also you can "intend" to do as much relevant reading as you like.... you won't :biggrin:

if you feel like you don't want to go to uni after a gap year then that probably means it isn't for you anyway.

I think it's weird the year abroad is in 2nd year though? that means the friendships you make in 1st year won't solidify when you're out of halls? I found that my second year really showed who my actual friends were from 1st year, rather than those that were clearly just friends for convenience.

ahhh i can hope to get at least a few books read😂😂
yeah its one of only two courses that do the gap year so early im not sure why (maybe due to the difficulty of the language)
also i dont think i need to worry about solidifying friendships in terms of halls since i'll be living at home or renting with a friend but now im worried about friendships in general since i wont see most people for a year
Reply 9
ahhh i can hope to get at least a few books read😂😂
yeah its one of only two courses that do the gap year so early im not sure why (maybe due to the difficulty of the language)
also i dont think i need to worry about solidifying friendships in terms of halls since i'll be living at home or renting with a friend but now im worried about friendships in general since i wont see most people for a year

if they're literature then i'm sure it'll be a lot more fun haha

would you be learning a new language? which is it?

at least the friends you make in 1st year will be there when you are back! that is a downside to doing it in your 3rd year, everyone is gone while you have one more year left.
Reply 10
Original post by Moura
if they're literature then i'm sure it'll be a lot more fun haha

would you be learning a new language? which is it?

at least the friends you make in 1st year will be there when you are back! that is a downside to doing it in your 3rd year, everyone is gone while you have one more year left.

persian
ooh that is actually very true
english lit so im pretty sure if i carry on reading i'll be fine compared to stem

i would take a gap year if i were you

Quick Reply

Latest