The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Maths - New Spec Grade Boundaries

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any details of what the new spec grade boundaries will be like for new spec A level maths and further maths.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rii.M
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any details of what the new spec grade boundaries will be like for new spec A level maths and further maths.

No and nor do the exam boards who set the papers! Just focus on doing your best as the grade boundaries will have to give a similar porprotion of grades to the current ones.

Anyone that says anything different is just guessing and its not very helpful.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
No and nor do the exam boards who set the papers! Just focus on doing your best as the grade boundaries will have to give a similar proprotion of grades to the current ones.

Anyone that says anything different is just guessing and its not very helpful.

I should have figured:colondollar: Thanks anyways.
Original post by Rii.M
I should have figured:colondollar: Thanks anyways.

Are you sitting new spec A Level maths (both AS and A2) this year?
Reply 4
Original post by RedGiant
Are you sitting new spec A Level maths (both AS and A2) this year?

no, taking both next year. my school isn't allowing anyone to take the A2 early
Original post by Rii.M
no, taking both next year. my school isn't allowing anyone to take the A2 early

Damn, I can't find anyone on here sitting new spec A Level maths this year :frown:
Reply 6
Damn, I can't find anyone on here sitting new spec A Level maths this year :frown:

Must be frustrating. If only my school wasn't run by tyrants :s-smilie:

When's the exam?
Just out of interest, what's your class size, and what would you say the general ability of your class is? I.e. Percentages/marks in tests? I'm just interested in knowing what some of the other cohort is like.

I am sitting full A2 this year then FM next year. Im freaking out as i need an A* but found the specimen papers soooo hard. The modelling and real life application questions need to be scrapped!!!!!!
Original post by Potent900
I am sitting full A2 this year then FM next year. Im freaking out as i need an A* but found the specimen papers soooo hard. The modelling and real life application questions need to be scrapped!!!!!!

Yeah tell me about it. What do you think about stats and mech (the damn mech specimen paper is ridiculous). Which parts are you good and not so good at?
Yeah tell me about it. What do you think about stats and mech (the damn mech specimen paper is ridiculous). Which parts are you good and not so good at?

Not so good at stats. Hate hypothesis testing, especially with the normal distribution. I like all of calculus except some of book 2 integration. Dont really mind mechanics because it overlaps with physics
Original post by Potent900
Not so good at stats. Hate hypothesis testing, especially with the normal distribution. I like all of calculus except some of book 2 integration. Dont really mind mechanics because it overlaps with physics

What scores/percentages are your peers getting in mocks?

Were there lots of modelling questions? What was the style of questions like? And when you say it was basically the same, do you mean there was literally the same questions but using different numbers?
Hiiii,
Which paper was this?
Sounds like a nice paper. I hope to hell the A level papers will be the same. Were there many worded questions then? Or was it just using functions given to you (i.e. not formulating them yourself, that's where I go wrong lol).
Oh wow I found that really hard tbh, most of peers did aswell but maybe that’s because we finished the content on Thursday in our school lool?
What do you reckon the boundaries will be considering we are the first year taking it. I would want atleast a C this year and work really hard next year
Thank you!!!
Like formulating models, e.g. sequences and quadratics, y=kb^x and y=ax^n modelling and stuff? Maybe that's more in A2, although I thought that was a massive emphasis of the new spec. And yeah, most of the people in my class did terribly (when I say the specimen paper I mean the SAM paper on the website), there was hardly anything applicable that you get from the textbook. Most of it was just problem solving, and using a very specific approach that you have to just guess from many others. No use of formulas for range or max height (like (U^2sin^2a) / 2g ) or anything like that that you learn from the textbook. Most in my class got like 15/50, it was terrible. Maybe my peers (and myself) just suck at mech though.
Why do you think this?
70% A, 60% B, 50% C, 40% D.
I feel like new cohort 10% down each grade.
How can you be doing full A level this year if you are doing AS maths this year??? The A level papers are totoally separate to the AS in the new spec so you must be doing full A level next year
Reply 19
Original post by Rii.M

Every year the grade boundaries depend on the performance done by students all over the world so clearly, no one knows what the specs will be for this year but I can say one thing and that is; If the exam is easy then A* would be closer to 125 (C12 AS LEVEL EDEXCEL EXAMS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending