The Student Room Group

Why you shouldn't study a BTEC if you want to go study biology/chemistry courses

I am currently studying pharmacology at Uni of Liverpool and I was a BTEC student. It is an AAB A-level entry requirement course. I have the Applied science Extended BTEC pre 2017 D*D*D* diploma with all the 'necessary' biology chemistry units.

I'll be blunt - I am struggling.

The BTEC just doesn't contain anywhere near the necessary content needed to understand the basics of my modules. My BTEC didn't teach me anything about calculus, enzyme kinetics, membrane potentials, chi-squared tests; the list goes on and on. I'm currently paying Β£30/hour for a tutor as my mathematics and chemistry is just not up to scratch. The majority of A-level students have no problems with any of these subjects.

Another thing is exams. I did terrible in my exams which is probably due to my lack of understanding, but I believe not taking any exams for the BTEC definitely had a part. Although I did get one first, I barely scraped the hard science exams with 40-50% each. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you cannot do these courses/exams without A-levels, but I am saying that you are going to be dealing with a lot more pressure and stress.

All in all, yes, the BTEC is much easier in comparison to A levels but it isn't worth it as you are not prepared properly for degree level and will most likely need to do catchup. This isn't ideal as STEM courses in particular are not easy. For example, we are in 9AM-3/4PM 4 days a week as well as labs, online tests, cycles (which are coursework set by your academic advisor) etc etc so the workload is intense enough already. Obviously each university is different but I'm just giving you a general idea.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or whatever. I'm not sure why I wrote this I just thought I'd post it as I'm sure this will get asked now and again.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Dind you do any research beforehand?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Dind you do any research beforehand?

I wasn't actually allowed to take A levels as my GCSES were lacking severely due to being a **** at high school lol. BTEC was my only option
Reply 3
Original post by Charles97
I wasn't actually allowed to take A levels as my GCSES were lacking severely due to being a **** at high school lol. BTEC was my only option

what gcses does the uni require?? did you retake your gcses??
Dont they teach you the stuff at university?
Reply 5
Hi, it depends wat units u are doing majority of the informations you’ve said I have currently done them
Reply 6
Original post by Shockez
what gcses does the uni require?? did you retake your gcses??

My university didn't require any GCSES, no. I think just maths/english grade C/B.
Reply 7
Original post by WolfzWay
Dont they teach you the stuff at university?

Of course they do, but they teach you expecting to have A-level chemistry/biology grade A knowledge. I didn't have anything close to that. Maybe a C at chemistry and B at biology at a push. Keep in mind, I had the best possible grade you could achieve from my BTEC.

Sorry for the really long replies. been a very, very busy couple of weeks.
My university didn't require any GCSES, no. I think just maths/english grade C/B.

what did you get for all your gcses? Both a level and btec colleges accept 5 gcses from A* to C ?
Why do you think it was the BTEC and not you?

I didn't cover any of the topics you listed during my access course yet didn't have a problem as I was prepared to sit down with a textbook and teach myself (as you should be doing at university anyway).
Reply 10
Original post by Rainfall
what did you get for all your gcses? Both a level and btec colleges accept 5 gcses from A* to C ?

I had no mathematics, only english and geography and like a level 2 BTEC Pass from High school for science but honestly I did nothing for it I don't even know why it was awarded to me.

I had to really convince my superiors to get into college and with a lot of convincing they allowed me to enrol. It took me a lot of smooth talking and almost begging at the interview with the principle to even let me speak to one of the science teachers. Luckily, she was a pharmacology graduate that had travelled Thailand (I had done the same, and I also love pharmacology) so after a quick chat with some jokes and smiles she gave me a vouch and I got in.

I was 18, so I got funded both years by a special scheme that was ending that year and my college sorted it for me. They really gave me another chance that place, I owe them a lot. It is in quite a disadvantaged area I think so maybe that is why. I think the college was very underfunded. Quite sad really..
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Sulfolobus
Why do you think it was the BTEC and not you?

I didn't cover any of the topics you listed during my access course yet didn't have a problem as I was prepared to sit down with a textbook and teach myself (as you should be doing at university anyway).

You misunderstand. I never said access courses weren't equivalents. Quite the contrary actually! From what I've been told, its a gruelling 1 year process and it is very difficult from who I've asked. I was actually offered the choice of an access course in the end of my first year so I could be allowed access to more courses if I excelled in grades. However, I would have had to change classes and have taken it in one year while I was already one year deep in my BTEC, as well as my current schedule + job + friends I decided not to. I remember being given some access course chemistry practice worksheets and they were so difficult I had no idea haha.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
I am currently studying pharmacology at Uni of Liverpool and I was a BTEC student. It is an AAB A-level entry requirement course. I have the Applied science Extended BTEC pre 2017 D*D*D* diploma with all the 'necessary' biology chemistry units.

The BTEC just doesn't contain anywhere near the necessary content needed to understand the basics of my modules. My BTEC didn't teach me anything about calculus, enzyme kinetics, membrane potentials, chi-squared tests; the list goes on and on. I'm currently paying Β£30/hour for a tutor as my mathematics and chemistry is just not up to scratch. The majority of A-level students have no problems with any of these subjects.

Another thing is exams. I did terrible in my exams which is probably due to my lack of understanding, but I believe not taking any exams for the BTEC definitely had a part. Although I did get one first, I barely scraped the hard science exams with 40-50% each. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you cannot do these courses/exams without A-levels, but I am saying that you are going to be dealing with a lot more pressure and stress.

All in all, yes, the BTEC is much easier in comparison to A levels but it isn't worth it as you are not prepared properly for degree level and will most likely need to do catchup. This isn't ideal as STEM courses in particular are not easy. For example, we are in 9AM-3/4PM 4 days a week as well as labs, online tests, cycles (which are coursework set by your academic advisor) etc etc so the workload is intense enough already. Obviously each university is different but I'm just giving you a general idea.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or whatever. I'm not sure why I wrote this I just thought I'd post it as I'm sure this will get asked now and again.

hi
I have applied for nursing course at university however I am at last year of sixth form. and I am struggling with my btec. do you think I should do foundation year at university before doing proper bsc or just do bsc straight.
Reply 13

hi
I have applied for nursing course at university. however I am struggling with it. so what did you suggest to me. should I do foundation year first or should I do straight bsc nursing.
thank
Reply 14

hi
I have applied for nursing course at university. however I am struggling with it. so what did you suggest to me. should I do foundation year first or should I do straight bsc nursing.
thank
Reply 15
Original post by abbdul
hi
I have applied for nursing course at university however I am at last year of sixth form. and I am struggling with my btec. do you think I should do foundation year at university before doing proper bsc or just do bsc straight.

If you are struggling to finish a BTEC then yes, a foundation year will really benefit you and prepare you for your course. Especially transitioning to real exams. That was hard. You can also switch healthcare roles if you decide in the first year nursing isn't for you, so thats also a bonus. I'm assuming since its a foundation course you'll get some serious 1-1 help which is always good if you're troubleshooting certain topics you don't understand
Reply 16
If you are struggling to finish a BTEC then yes, a foundation year will really benefit you and prepare you for your course. Especially transitioning to real exams. That was hard. You can also switch healthcare roles if you decide in the first year nursing isn't for you, so thats also a bonus. I'm assuming since its a foundation course you'll get some serious 1-1 help which is always good if you're troubleshooting certain topics you don't understand

hi
thank you very much for your reply.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have to admit I’m on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I also did the Extended Diploma in Medical Sciences and when I attended university to study biomedical sciences I found myself much better prepared than the vast majority of A-level students. My modules were similar, concepts had already been previously introduced and the only thing the A-level students had over myself was their study skills due to the more recent examinations!

This is very confusing to me because on my BTEC some of the things you say were not taught were the very things I did learn. Enzyme kinetics, calculus, statistical analysis such as Chi-squared and T-tests etc. Post my BTEC I’ve also done exceptionally well in my exams. I’ve received awards for both my first and second year performance at university for gaining 75%+ overall.
Reply 18
im pretty sure i've told you about 5 times on separate occasions that i cannot just send you assignments. although, if you post pictures of the work i may be able to help.

you really need to learn this stuff dude or you're going to get into so much debt and fail uni. heed my advice !

Original post by abbdul
hi
thank you very much for your reply. I am very struggling with my btec mainly unit 27 . I believe you have completed your btec applied sciences.
it this possible for you to help me on unit 27 please.
thank you very much.
Reply 19
Original post by Daveboi115
I have to admit I’m on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I also did the Extended Diploma in Medical Sciences and when I attended university to study biomedical sciences I found myself much better prepared than the vast majority of A-level students. My modules were similar, concepts had already been previously introduced and the only thing the A-level students had over myself was their study skills due to the more recent examinations!

This is very confusing to me because on my BTEC some of the things you say were not taught were the very things I did learn. Enzyme kinetics, calculus, statistical analysis such as Chi-squared and T-tests etc. Post my BTEC I’ve also done exceptionally well in my exams. I’ve received awards for both my first and second year performance at university for gaining 75%+ overall.

How much chemistry do you study and what uni? I'm glad you're doing well.

Out of curiosity I have linked a random powerpoint lecture PDF to compare. I couldn't tell you which one it is but let me know if you understand any of it :biggrin: if so, could you help me out?

https://imgur.com/a/vCtUNmx
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest