The Student Room Group

Which Msc Finance Strahtclyde/Southampton/Loughborough/Birmingham/Exeter/Sussex

Hi guys, any opinion would be nice ....

EU student, Passed CFA Level 2 and have a couple of years working experience in my home country...
I have not applied to the 5-6 top Tiers because of low bachelor (2:2) and super high fees (like triple to the others...)

I have offers for the following courses.
Msc Finance Strathclyde
Msc International Banking & Finance Southhampton
Msc Investments Brimingham
Msc Finance Loughborough
Msc Economics at Exeter

My main goal is to work in the UK or Europe after graduation...

Currently i am leaning towards Strathclyde because everywhere I hear how good is the business school... but all of the courses seem the same in those program and all of them have triple acrreditation...

Which one of these is best for graduate employability/ and in terms of student life... How would you ranked them> Do you think Brexit will affect EU students?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone...?
Original post by steky
Hi guys, any opinion would be nice ....

EU student, 2:2 bachelor in economics, Passed CFA Level 2 and have a couple of years working experience in my home country...

I have offers for the following courses.
Msc Finance Strathclyde
Msc International Banking & Finance Southhampton
Msc Investments Brimingham
Msc Finance Loughborough

Waiting for Msc Finance at Exeter/Sussex
My main goal is to work in the UK or Europe after graduation...

Currently i am leaning towards Strathclyde because everywhere I hear how good is the business school... but all of the courses seem the same in those program and all of them have triple acrreditation...

Which one of these is best for graduate employability/ and in terms of student life... How would you ranked them>

Hi steky
You've got some good unis on your short list and you won't go far wrong whichever you choose.
Here is some info on our Finance MSc :
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/masters-degrees/a-z/finance/

It's a CIMA accredited course, we have our own trading room and we've got a really good business school. Our student experience is fantastic and our graduates go on to work at companies such as major global banks (including HSBC, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Chase, UBS, Standard Chartered), large businesses (including DHL, Scottish and Southern Energy, Virgin), as well as the Big Four accounting firms.

However, I'm sure pretty much everyone on your list can tell you something great about themselves! So my advice would be to really look at the modules and see what each course can offer you and which aligns best to your career aspirations.

If you've got any specific questions for Loughborough, just ask - always happy to help :smile:
Vicky
Reply 3
Exeter > Birmingham > Southampton > Loughborough = Sussex >>>> Strathclyde

Also for subjects in the field I would recommend looking at [LBS LSE Imperial Warwick Manchester CASS Cranfield Edinburgh Bath Durham KCL] and see if you are eligible to apply. I’m sure you will be likely to get accepted into some of them ^_^
Reply 4
Hi thanks for the reply :smile:

I do not like that Exeter offered me Economics instead of Finance....
Those top tiers are like super expensive (there is no program below 23-25k) LBS, LSE, IMPERIAL WARWICK >30k....and cost of living in London is high...
Bath and Durham require 2:1 although I got accepted in Southampton and they did require 2:1, not eligible for Edinburgh...) and I do not see much difference between them or Exeter/ Birmingham....

Anyone?...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Nathan9087

Also for subjects in the field I would recommend looking at [LBS LSE Imperial Warwick Manchester CASS Cranfield Edinburgh Bath Durham KCL] and see if you are eligible to apply. I’m sure you will be likely to get accepted into some of them ^_^

Hi!

I can see that you have some really good places in sights. :smile:
If you intend to apply to Cranfield or if you have any Cranfield related questions, please feel free to ask. I am also a student here- can help with queries which you may not see in print.

All the very best and hopefully, you get what you are seeking for!

Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep :smile:
Reply 6
Any opinion would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Nathan9087

Strathclyde is considered to have one of the best business and accountancy & finance departments in the country, though. :biggrin: I haven't got a stake in it, as I've not accepted any offers from it as yet, but I'm curious as to why it'd rate so low?
Original post by steky
Hi thanks for the reply :smile:

I do not like that Exeter offered me Economics instead of Finance....
Those top tiers are like super expensive (there is no program below 23-25k) LBS, LSE, IMPERIAL WARWICK >30k....and cost of living in London is high...
Bath and Durham require 2:1 although I got accepted in Southampton and they did require 2:1, not eligible for Edinburgh...) and I do not see much difference between them or Exeter/ Birmingham....

Anyone?...

The issue with Edinburgh, Manchester, LSE, Cass, Warwick etc. is that they're a magnet for wealthy foreign students, so they can charge a significant premium for their Masters courses as entry is more competitive. Less so for the first two but it's certainly at play. Not that I would dispute that they are very good universities. Finance is competitive, so I doubt they'd allow for a 2:ii without some very good supporting aspects to the application, but your best bet is to try apply if you did want to consider them.
Reply 9
Hey, thanks for the reply.... I have considered them all... Maybe I will apply to Durham, everything else is too expensive for me to be honest...like I do not want to pay more than 13-14 k for fees only ( I do not want any loans at least for now)... and then there is the living const....

So the listed once are the choices....Their study programs look almost the same... so I am really confused...
Reply 10
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 11
up :smile:
Reply 12
So all the offers are here, pls advise :smile:

I am considering Strathclyde/ Southampton/ Birmingham.... really confused....
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
bump
Reply 14
I would go with Exeter.
I have also got the offer letter from Loughborough for Msc. Finance. I want to know more about the association of CIMA accrediation and CFA affiliation in this program. How this will help me? Will I get direct exemptions from the exams or the university degree will only help me to prepare for the CIMA or CFA?Also, In future what will be best for me am confused either to pursue CIMA or CFA or to PhD in finance?
Original post by Nisha Khanal
I have also got the offer letter from Loughborough for Msc. Finance. I want to know more about the association of CIMA accrediation and CFA affiliation in this program. How this will help me? Will I get direct exemptions from the exams or the university degree will only help me to prepare for the CIMA or CFA?Also, In future what will be best for me am confused either to pursue CIMA or CFA or to PhD in finance?

Hi @Nisha Khanal

Congratulations on receiving an offer to study MSc Finance at Loughborough!

I have taken the below information from the programme page:

Our master's in Finance is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), the world's largest body of management accountants, and offers at least six exemptions from their professional examinations. This is strong recognition of the professional relevance of this programme for those wishing to work in the finance function of a business or multinational organisation.

Our MSc Finance is part of the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Institute University Affiliation Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree programme incorporates at least 70 per cent of the CFA Programme Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), which provides a solid grounding in the CBOK and prepares you well for CFA exams and the opportunity to ultimately obtain the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation, which has become the most respected and recognized investment credential in the world. In addition, as a member of the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program, Loughborough University is eligible to award a limited number of scholarships to its MSc students for the CFA Program each year, which will be allocated on the basis of academic merit.

If you have further questions, I would recommend contacting the department directly at [email protected].

I hope this helps!

All the best,
-Dan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending