The Student Room Group

Reapplying To Grad Scheme After A Year

Hi all,

I have been following TSR for a good amount of years and recently, I'm in a position where, I definitely can use some advice from people on here about whether or not I should quit my job and try to apply to grad schemes this coming September.

So, I have just recently completed my Masters in Software Engineering (January). I did apply to some grad schemes (Banks and other places), but, I failed to get any grad schemes from top companies.

After three months, I got a role as a Tech Support Engineer as, I was jobless and felt like, I was very behind with life (I'm in my mid twenties) so, I decided to take the job, but really all, I wanted was a programming role at a top company as some of my friends are there already. I want to be in the same position as them and, I really don't want to do Tech Support for the rest of my life.

I feel like as if my life is meaningless if, I don't get a grad scheme from a top company and I don't want to regret not taking a chance right now to secure my future. Every one is telling me that keep the job and work yourself up, but I really don't want to do that.

So, my question is should I leave my current job to catch up on DS & Algorithms and apply to grad schemes this upcoming September?

Also, is it possible to get into grad schemes one year after you graduated?

Any advice would be great from people who have been in a similar position or just in general.

Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by KRUx19
Hi all,

I have been following TSR for a good amount of years and recently, I'm in a position where, I definitely can use some advice from people on here about whether or not I should quit my job and try to apply to grad schemes this coming September.

So, I have just recently completed my Masters in Software Engineering (January). I did apply to some grad schemes (Banks and other places), but, I failed to get any grad schemes from top companies.

After three months, I got a role as a Tech Support Engineer as, I was jobless and felt like, I was very behind with life (I'm in my mid twenties) so, I decided to take the job, but really all, I wanted was a programming role at a top company as some of my friends are there already. I want to be in the same position as them and, I really don't want to do Tech Support for the rest of my life.

I feel like as if my life is meaningless if, I don't get a grad scheme from a top company and I don't want to regret not taking a chance right now to secure my future. Every one is telling me that keep the job and work yourself up, but I really don't want to do that.

So, my question is should I leave my current job to catch up on DS & Algorithms and apply to grad schemes this upcoming September?

Also, is it possible to get into grad schemes one year after you graduated?

Any advice would be great from people who have been in a similar position or just in general.

Thank you.

Stay in your job. Improve your skills and correct any weaknesses you had from last time.

Yes.
Do you realise that there are thousands of other companies out there who are also looking for software engineers?

If you're working in a tech support job, and you're not happy with that, then by restricting your search to a narrow pool of grad schemes, you're potentially missing out on a lot of really great opportunities which will get you where you want to be.

Try looking towards some of the IT recruitment agencies, google for "Graduate Software Engineer Jobs". or "Junior Software Engineer Jobs" (Realistically, most companies don't make any distinction between 'graduate' and 'junior')

Also, check out companies who are advertising on StackOverflow Jobs too - https://stackoverflow.com/jobs - even if they aren't specifically looking for a graduate or junior 'right now', you could benefit by introducing yourself to them and asking if/when they are likely to open up recruitment again - many companies out there like to have a few junior developers around, because they'll nearly always have a whole bunch of non-urgent and lower-priority work which their senior engineers will never have time to do, but a competent junior developer could be getting on with.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, if you really want to apply to go on a grad scheme, go ahead and apply.
But, please don't quit your current job before getting a definite job offer. That would be foolish.

You should remember that grad schemes are very popular. A LOT of students apply for them. If 10,000 students apply for 15 grad schemes which can only take say 200 people, are you saying the rest 9800 people lead meaningless lives? No.
These 9800 people will feel disappointed for some time and later will move on. Which is what you should do if you don't get into a grad scheme.

Grad schemes are not as amazing as you think they are. I have never been on one, but I have read a lot of experiences and reviews from graduates online who have completed a grad scheme. I have read 3 or 4 people mention that in some grad schemes, there will be work to do during the weekends as well. Keep in mind that these people were already working 35-40 hours during weekdays.
When I read that I thought, if that is the case, I don't want to do a grad scheme. I am all for putting your best into a job or for your company, but there are other things in life other than work.
I don't think I would ever work for a company that would tell me that my job or career should consume all my waking life.

Yes, you can apply for grad schemes upto 2 years after graduation. Some grad schemes might take people who graduated even before that- depends on the company.

Please google- 'what if I don't get into a graduate scheme'. There are some good alternate options available.

It also might be a good idea to talk to your uni careers advisors or the National careers service to increase your chances of getting into a graduate scheme or getting a job in the future. They could help you with CV, cover letter, application forms, assessment centres, interview skills, where and how to look for work.
Good luck! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by winterscoming
Do you realise that there are thousands of other companies out there who are also looking for software engineers?

If you're working in a tech support job, and you're not happy with that, then by restricting your search to a narrow pool of grad schemes, you're potentially missing out on a lot of really great opportunities which will get you where you want to be.

Try looking towards some of the IT recruitment agencies, google for "Graduate Software Engineer Jobs". or "Junior Software Engineer Jobs" (Realistically, most companies don't make any distinction between 'graduate' and 'junior':wink:

Also, check out companies who are advertising on StackOverflow Jobs too - https://stackoverflow.com/jobs - even if they aren't specifically looking for a graduate or junior 'right now', you could benefit by introducing yourself to them and asking if/when they are likely to open up recruitment again - many companies out there like to have a few junior developers around, because they'll nearly always have a whole bunch of non-urgent and lower-priority work which their senior engineers will never have time to do, but a competent junior developer could be getting on with.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take that advice on board.
Original post by Dancingprincess
Well, if you really want to apply to go on a grad scheme, go ahead and apply.
But, please don't quit your current job before getting a definite job offer. That would be foolish.

You should remember that grad schemes are very popular. A LOT of students apply for them. If 10,000 students apply for 15 grad schemes which can only take say 200 people, are you saying the rest 9800 people lead meaningless lives? No.
These 9800 people will feel disappointed for some time and later will move on. Which is what you should do if you don't get into a grad scheme.

Grad schemes are not as amazing as you think they are. I have never been on one, but I have read a lot of experiences and reviews from graduates online who have completed a grad scheme. I have read 3 or 4 people mention that in some grad schemes, there will be work to do during the weekends as well. Keep in mind that these people were already working 35-40 hours during weekdays.
When I read that I thought, if that is the case, I don't want to do a grad scheme. I am all for putting your best into a job or for your company, but there are other things in life other than work.
I don't think I would ever work for a company that would tell me that my job or career should consume all my waking life.

Yes, you can apply for grad schemes upto 2 years after graduation. Some grad schemes might take people who graduated even before that- depends on the company.

Please google- 'what if I don't get into a graduate scheme'. There are some good alternate options available.

It also might be a good idea to talk to your uni careers advisors or the National careers service to increase your chances of getting into a graduate scheme or getting a job in the future. They could help you with CV, cover letter, application forms, assessment centres, interview skills, where and how to look for work.
Good luck! :smile:

Thanks, I'll try to find a way to study while working at the same time and reapply in September. Thanks a lot, everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending