The Student Room Group

Revision techniques

Hi so there is 2 weeks until my gcses (only doing maths science and English since I got c's last year) if you guys have any revisions techniques or anything to help you pass the exams please tell me.
Also if anyone had the checklist could you give me a link to it please as rn I'm just going through my notes and doing past papers
Which science exam board?

Try using flashcards, past papers, anything that involves your brain working to retain information, once you've learned something, practice it one day, 3 days and then a week:smile: Its useful to also do this within study sessions, eg once you've learned something, move on, then come back to review it a couple of hours later.
Reply 2
If there are any topics you struggle with, I'd really recommend watching youtube videos as they can be much better at explaining it than text books / revision guides and more memorable.

I find a good way of remembering things to teach other people, use flashcrads and make myself little pop quizzes (most effective when they are on a mix of topics in a subject and not just one thing). Quizlet have some ready made quizzes and flashcards, which are good.

I would also highly recommend Seneca LEarning - free, covers Eng Lit, Maths and Science and is super helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by indie.sxnds
Which science exam board?

Try using flashcards, past papers, anything that involves your brain working to retain information, once you've learned something, practice it one day, 3 days and then a week:smile: Its useful to also do this within study sessions, eg once you've learned something, move on, then come back to review it a couple of hours later.

maths is aqa, science is OCR and english is AQA
Original post by Kageflash

English - anything on mr bruff / mr salles youtube channel! (especially mr salles for english language)

Science - I do edexcel, but savemyexams.co.uk has some OCR gateway papers, its worth asking other people on here if they have any OCR resources though :smile:

Maths - justmaths.co.uk, mathsgenie.co.uk, and https://www.piximaths.co.uk/revision-booklets for the grades you're aiming for :smile:

So, in short, past papers for maths + making sure you know the methods is key. For english, make flashcards/mindmaps for characters if that works for you, and practice planning essays for comparing poetry. In terms of language, practicing papers is also key.

Science, CGP guides are good for understanding, test your knowledge using exam style questions though.

Good luck, you've got this!:h:
(edited 5 years ago)
I have a subscription to savemyexams (only cost me £20 september 2017)- il send links to the resources if anyone wants
Hi so there is 2 weeks until my gcses (only doing maths science and English since I got c's last year) if you guys have any revisions techniques or anything to help you pass the exams please tell me.
Also if anyone had the checklist could you give me a link to it please as rn I'm just going through my notes and doing past papers

Which exam board is it for?
Reply 7
Original post by Carolina K.
Which exam board is it for?

Oh, that's good. AQA is a really good exam board, especially for maths. For maths learn basic maths, the context of what will be on the exam and have a go at some logic based questions.
Original post by jordanb-h
I have a subscription to savemyexams (only cost me £20 september 2017)- il send links to the resources if anyone wants

yes please!
Original post by grade9student
yes please!

What subjects and exam boards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xNWMyStaS6wp2915_UMAABhnPITlP43y/view?usp=sharing
pdf file that links to all of the save my exams gcse questions and answers (its multiple pdfs linked to one main one)
Reply 12
Original post by jordanb-h
What subjects and exam boards

Can i have it aswell please, i'm doing OCR Maths and science and AQA english

Quick Reply

Latest