The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Interview

If I happened to get an interview, what could I expect it to contain? I've heard that there are maths questions involved, is this true?

Also, anyone currently doing economics at Cambridge, can you tell me you experience?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn’t actually get interviewed for economics but spoke with people who were while I was there for my Maths interview. You get 2 interviews at Cambridge and some colleges will do one interview on maths and one on economics when you’re applying for economics. Some won’t have quite so much Maths but generally you will be asked some Maths questions.
Original post by mandhlenkhosi
If I happened to get an interview, what could I expect it to contain? I've heard that there are maths questions involved, is this true?

Also, anyone currently doing economics at Cambridge, can you tell me you experience?

Thanks

Yes.
And Econimics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy. Quite different from A-level Economics.
If you don’t like Maths much and are not very strong in it, you may not enjoy their Econimics course.
Original post by vincrows
Yes.
And Econimics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy. Quite different from A-level Economics.
If you don’t like Maths much and are not very strong in it, you may not enjoy their Econimics course.

Would it be possible to get an offer, with only an A in maths, and not A*?
Reply 4

Cambridge knows that predictions are often wrong (and often too high) and don't pay too much attention to them, but they can become concerned if your predictions are lower than expected.

So if your predicted (or achieved) grades are below the typical requirements the problem is you may not get an interview, but if you do then the other elements of your application may make up for it - e.g. the interview, ECAA, etc.

Also, keep in mind many applicants will also have Further Maths - a weakness in your maths may well be problematic for Cambridge.
Cambridge Economics is probably the most mathematically rigorous pure economics course in the UK. In my experience, I was asked quite a few maths questions (Trinity College), but the most difficult part was their application to economics. They might also discuss some material that you've seen beforehand but expect the interview to be mathematically focused. Remember that A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics are by far your most important A-Levels for the economics degree at Cambridge, so keep up your interest in maths, and your passion for economics.

I thought my interview didn't go very well, but received an offer. So, best of luck with your application and you'll most likely do better than you expect!

The important question you should be asking yourself here is not if you can get an offer but if you can enjoy/cope with their Econimics course.
Entry requirements are there not just to select/deselect applicants but because those standard is a necessary foundation to pursue the course at Cambridge.
As the above poster confirmed, having strong maths is vital for Cambridge’s (and some other top economics unis’) economicsand their minimum entry requirements is A*A*A. At least one of A*s is not in Maths, that’d be concern for them. FM is not required but you’ll need good understanding of at least Statistics.

Please don’t choose (any) university for the name or ranking.
Have a very good look at details of content of economics at several universities to see which course/s you’ll enjoy and suits you best.

Original post by matthewleechen

I thought my interview didn't go very well, but received an offer. !

Typical proof that candidates are rubbish at assessing their interview. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
x

Interview types vary by college, depending largely on the DoS' research area. But it's normally two interviews, one in Maths/Micro and another in Macro/Soc/Hist.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but an A in Maths probably won't work out, even if you apply to colleges where the academics have a sympathy for teaching Economics in a non-quantitative way.
Reply 8
Hi,
I am applying this year to study Economics, do you have any advice on how best to prepare mathematically for the course?

Thanks!
Original post by Ranea
Hi,
I am applying this year to study Economics, do you have any advice on how best to prepare mathematically for the course?

Thanks!

I'd say to review your material from Year 12 Maths and Further Maths (if taken, though this is a preference) as preparation for the interview and admissions assessment. On top of that, make sure you are on top of everything you learn in maths (especially pure mathematics and statistics). That should honestly be enough - some wider reading might help but this is unnecessary.
Reply 10
Thank you for your help. What area of Economics was the mathematics applied to?
was it game theory or something else?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ranea
Thank you for your help. What area of Economics was the mathematics applied to?
was it game theory or something else?

In the interview, I had some calculus applied to some basic microeconomic theory (revenue and cost functions etc.) but nothing really more than that. The maths in the admissions assessment covers pretty much everything from Year 12, especially focusing on functions.
Anyone received interview offers??
Reply 13
Original post by keynessss
Anyone received interview offers??

Last year the first Economics invites didnt arrive until the 15th (and were from Catz).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Ha20-18YeK
Does anybody know:

Is the interview always conducted by the Director of Studies (DoS) or could it be someone else?

In my question I am referring to interviews in Cambridge, not overseas.

Depending on your college you will usually have 2 interviews, one with the DoS plus a colleague, and one with 2 other colleagues.

So you will usually see 4 people.
I just got my cambridge interview at Queens today but only have 1 30 minute interview, so there is some differentiation between colleges I think
Reply 16
Original post by scott harringron
I just got my cambridge interview at Queens today but only have 1 30 minute interview, so there is some differentiation between colleges I think

Yup, some do one, some two, some three (2 subject interviews plus 1 general).
Reply 17
Original post by scott harringron

Me too! Do you think we will have an extract to read before the interview? My interview is on 12/12(queens, of course), hope to see you then!
Original post by Ha20-18YeK
Does anybody know:

Is the interview always conducted by the Director of Studies (DoS) or could it be someone else?

In my question I am referring to interviews in Cambridge, not overseas.

Just got my interview invitation. One interview with two fellows, and the other the DoS and one fellow.
Reply 19
Original post by OxbridgeRejectTT
Just got my interview invitation. One interview with two fellows, and the other the DoS and one fellow.

:woo:

Did you apply to John's for the lols?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending