The Student Room Group

choosing between art and psychology

I am currently in year 12 and have been planning on pursuing art. this was always going to follow taking a foundation year (preferably at a ual college) and then later a degree. however I've been talking to my parents and am concerned about how employable I'll be with an art degree. I'm also interested in psychology (which I'm taking for a level as well and am predicted an a grade)

my predicted grade in art is an a* and im also studying English literature which I'm predicted a b in (but not really interested in taking this further)

I dont think I'd want a career as an art therapist (which would seem to be the combination of the two) but maybe something in advertising where I can still be creative. though I enjoy psychology art is really where my passion lies.

I've researched and found a combination art and psychology course available at the university of reading which I'm definitely interested in. if anyone is taking the course or has any advice at all id be so grateful to hear from you.
- Sophia
Hiya Sophia,

I was in the exact same position as you when I was attending sixth form. I was unsure of whether to pursue art or psychology as I felt I wasn't very good at art, and despite really enjoying Psychology at A-Level, I wasn't predicted a very high grade. However, I decided to enrol on a Foundation Diploma that was run by UAL at my local college, Plymouth College of Art, and I absolutely loved it. The course was so free and allowed me to properly explore art as I never had before, leading me to realise that though I disliked art classes at school and the work those classes allowed me to create, when I was given the freedom to work intuitively, I completely fell in love with the explorations of mediums and subject matters that the course encouraged.

Though this may not be the case for you, I would definitely recommend looking into a foundation year, even if you still go on to do Psychology. Doing the course doesn't restrict you to going on to an arts degree, as several people on my course went on to do Business, Geography, etc. I would suggest researching the courses further, go to Open Days and get a vibe for the places that interest you.

If you're still unsure, I'd suggest taking a year out to do some work experience in both fields and explore the subjects further. The worst thing you could do is choose a degree because you feel as though you have to go to university straight after of sixth form, and end up not enjoying your course or dropping out. Also, parents always seem to worry about the employability of an arts degree but creative industries are worth £84.1 billion in the UK alone (2016)!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you want any more information or advice!
Harriet :smile:
Student Ambassador and First Year Photography Student
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sophia2246
I am currently in year 12 and have been planning on pursuing art. this was always going to follow taking a foundation year (preferably at a ual college) and then later a degree. however I've been talking to my parents and am concerned about how employable I'll be with an art degree. I'm also interested in psychology (which I'm taking for a level as well and am predicted an a grade)

my predicted grade in art is an a* and im also studying English literature which I'm predicted a b in (but not really interested in taking this further)

I dont think I'd want a career as an art therapist (which would seem to be the combination of the two) but maybe something in advertising where I can still be creative. though I enjoy psychology art is really where my passion lies.

I've researched and found a combination art and psychology course available at the university of reading which I'm definitely interested in. if anyone is taking the course or has any advice at all id be so grateful to hear from you.
- Sophia

Out of these two options I would choose BSc in Psychology somewhere, but certainly keep art and creativity as your interest, and perhaps transform it into a digital media business online during the course of your degree.

- Sophia

Hi there,

Have you thought about doing graphics? As this would be creative and could lead you into marketing and advertisement.

I study interior design and I have recently started working part time for the universities marketing team and I am really enjoying it. It sounds like you really want to study art but are thinking of doing psychology because you are worried about getting a job. Maybe find out what types of careers you can have with the art degree, you can always do a masters in marketing or another profession after your art degree. Or maybe you would be better suited to doing something like Interior Design which also involves a lot of psychology, working with and understanding people and making spaces to improve people's lives and behaviour.

Have a think about it! I would recommend watching a series on Netflix called Abstract and watching the episodes about the Interior Designer and Graphic Designer which will show you what it's all about. I have only after watching the interior one that this is probably the most suited career for me. Also the advantage to studying these is that you graduate with a profession that there are definitely already positions for.

Alternatively you could do an extended degree which is a year where you try lots of different disciplines in the creative field like art, interior, product and graphic design, similar to an art foundation but at a university so you can experience what that would be like too. We run one here at Hallam if you think it might be something for you :smile:

Hope that helps!

Chandni
Reply 4
thanks so much for the advice. I've definitely been thinking about taking a foundation art course as a starting point and after talking with my art teacher am feeling more confident about eventually taking an art degree at uni.
originally ual would have been my first choice for a foundation but I've read some bad student reviews on how unstructured the courses are?

I've been to an open day visiting the chelsea college and really loved the environment but slightly cautious of the actual quality of the course?

which ual college are you studying at and how would you rate it? any insight would be great :smile:

thank you,
sophia x
Reply 5
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there,

Have you thought about doing graphics? As this would be creative and could lead you into marketing and advertisement.

I study interior design and I have recently started working part time for the universities marketing team and I am really enjoying it. It sounds like you really want to study art but are thinking of doing psychology because you are worried about getting a job. Maybe find out what types of careers you can have with the art degree, you can always do a masters in marketing or another profession after your art degree. Or maybe you would be better suited to doing something like Interior Design which also involves a lot of psychology, working with and understanding people and making spaces to improve people's lives and behaviour.

Have a think about it! I would recommend watching a series on Netflix called Abstract and watching the episodes about the Interior Designer and Graphic Designer which will show you what it's all about. I have only after watching the interior one that this is probably the most suited career for me. Also the advantage to studying these is that you graduate with a profession that there are definitely already positions for.

Alternatively you could do an extended degree which is a year where you try lots of different disciplines in the creative field like art, interior, product and graphic design, similar to an art foundation but at a university so you can experience what that would be like too. We run one here at Hallam if you think it might be something for you :smile:

Hope that helps!

Chandni

hey, thanks so much for this advice, I've never really considered interior design in much detail but it sounds like a great way to combine both of the fields. ill have a research :smile:

also, have been considering taking a foundation art course to gain some experience into how art is taught at a higher level but haven't heard of the extended degree option? id be really interested in it because I don't really want to be hanging around another year during my foundation (would preferably like to go to uni straight after a levels)
Hello again Sophia,

The UAL Foundation Diploma courses are taught at lots of different colleges and universities across the country, not just in the UAL campuses themselves. Perhaps it is worth researching where they have them and where would be best for you.

We offer the course here at Plymouth College of Art, perhaps you'd like to take a look, however, there are lots of options out there for you! We also offer Extended Degree's here too. If you are interested in Graphic Design and Interior Decoration, Design and Styling we offer extended degree's in both.

This article may help you understand the difference and which would be best for you.

Hope this helps!
Harriet :smile:
Student Ambassador and First Year Photography Student
(edited 5 years ago)
hey, thanks so much for this advice, I've never really considered interior design in much detail but it sounds like a great way to combine both of the fields. ill have a research :smile:

also, have been considering taking a foundation art course to gain some experience into how art is taught at a higher level but haven't heard of the extended degree option? id be really interested in it because I don't really want to be hanging around another year during my foundation (would preferably like to go to uni straight after a levels)

Hi Sophia,

I am really glad I could be of assistance! Let me know if you have an questions about Interior Design :smile: I know what you mean I was told I could do an Art foundation but going to a college and being at home for another year didn't really interest me. I actually applied to study Fine art and did that for a month at Hallam before changing to Interior.

Here is the link to the extended degree at Hallam:
https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/art-and-design/foundation-certificate-art-and-design/full-time
I think there are a few places like London who also run them, but I am sure lot of other Universities do too, but have a look at the link above so you can get an idea of what type of thing it would be. This way you could actually move to your next city and into halls or a house.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Chandni
Reply 8

- Sophia

Hi,
I’m currently in the exact same position and I don’t know whether I want to choose psychology or art as a degree. I really enjoy art and I am interested in psychology, but I was also thinking of doing advertising after getting a degree.
I wanted to ask what choice did you end up doing because I can’t make my mind up and application entry ends in a couple of days
Original post by Berhe
Hi,
I’m currently in the exact same position and I don’t know whether I want to choose psychology or art as a degree. I really enjoy art and I am interested in psychology, but I was also thinking of doing advertising after getting a degree.
I wanted to ask what choice did you end up doing because I can’t make my mind up and application entry ends in a couple of days

Hey @Berhe

Choosing the right course is super difficult, so I totally understand your dilemma!
But don't worry, you could have the option of doing both if that is something you would be interested in?! Here at Reading (and many other universities I'm sure!), we offer a combined Art and Psychology course so you could get the best of both worlds. On this course, students are encouraged to take placements in both art and psychology too, as we recognise the importance of employability, so you would get experience in both fields. This experience, as well as the extensive alumni network of previous Art students at Reading, the award-winning careers support we offer, means you'll be in a great place when you graduate.

Currently, Nesta does this course at Reading and would be super happy to give you a better insight into what this looks like - so do feel free to chat to her directly about her experience! To find out more information, see our website here.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions!
Good luck with choosing your course :smile:

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student & Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest