The Student Room Group

Accused of Plagiarism/Collusion

.... ,,,. . .
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My god how thick you have to be, use different references and paraphrase off each other if you have to.
Collusion is basically illegal cooperation. If it was meant to be an individual assignment and you two worked together then that is collusion. The punishment will depend on your uni's policy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Shouldn't be anything major if the actual content is different. However if they are structured and worded similarly, I would ask if would be able to re-do it.
Reply 4
You are in trouble no doubt, best thing to do is to admit you did work together BUT you had no idea this constituted a break in university plagiarism policy. Never admit to doing plagiarism with intent, if it's your first time they will only give you a warning, but in the future be careful.
Reply 5
Original post by Student-95
Collusion is basically illegal cooperation. If it was meant to be an individual assignment and you two worked together then that is collusion. The punishment will depend on your uni's policy.

We used to book rooms in the library in undergrad to collude. But we weren't thick, we would paraphrase and no one would be allowed to copy straight from someone elses work.
Reply 6
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Shouldn't be anything major if the actual content is different. However if they are structured and worded similarly, I would ask if would be able to re-do it.

the majority is similar, since we took quotes etc from the book or from those websites.
Reply 7
Original post by dimooj
the majority is similar, since we took quotes etc from the book or from those websites.

Admit you did it, it's going to be a lot harder to convince people you worked separately but the work is similar, plus with CCTV cameras it makes it even harder. However tell them you thought it was not against university policy to work together on a piece of work.

However if the assignment said it should be done independently, then yes, you are screwed. Then the best bet would be to deny everything and hope they don't check the CCTV or computer login times.
Reply 8
Original post by ma_long
We used to book rooms in the library in undergrad to collude. But we weren't thick, we would paraphrase and no one would be allowed to copy straight from someone elses work.

we did paraphrase as much as we could, but we did not have a lot of time since the deadline was near. we also we used the same definitions of some laws
Reply 9
Original post by ma_long
Admit you did it, it's going to be a lot harder to convince people you worked separately but the work is similar, plus with CCTV cameras it makes it even harder. However tell them you thought it was not against university policy to work together on a piece of work.

However if the assignment said it should be done independently, then yes, you are screwed. Then the best bet would be to deny everything and hope they don't check the CCTV or computer login times.

If we say that we exchanged sources and that it why out assignments are so similar would it make a difference? i mean we both wrote the assignment on our own, but we followed the exact same sources to answer the question, hence why it is very similar.
Original post by dimooj
If we say that we exchanged sources and that it why out assignments are so similar would it make a difference? i mean we both wrote the assignment on our own, but we followed the exact same sources to answer the question, hence why it is very similar.

Does the assignment strictly say it needs to be done independently?
Reply 11
Original post by ma_long
Does the assignment strictly say it needs to be done independently?

at the instructions found online, where the question of the assignment is seen, at the end it only says that " for all policy information, including policies on plagiarism, passing and resitting assessments etc, please refer to the Undergraduate Law page on Myplace."

so technically it does not say that it need to be done independently.
Original post by dimooj
at the instructions found online, where the question of the assignment is seen, at the end it only says that " for all policy information, including policies on plagiarism, passing and resitting assessments etc, please refer to the Undergraduate Law page on Myplace."

It does direct you to a link, where I am sure in the terms it would mention collusion. Collusion is a serious offence in university.
Reply 13
Original post by ma_long
It does direct you to a link, where I am sure in the terms it would mention collusion. Collusion is a serious offence in university.

im on 3rd year its my first time being accused of plagiarism/collusion, so do you think that if we say that we exchanged information not knowing it is against the rules, i would just have to resit the essay again, or is there a high possibility of something worse happening?
Original post by dimooj
im on 3rd year its my first time being accused of plagiarism/collusion, so do you think that if we say that we exchanged information not knowing it is against the rules, i would just have to resit the essay again, or is there a high possibility of something worse happening?

If it's first time, you are going to be treated a lot better. It's a lot better to say you had no idea that this constituted a break in university policy. I don't know your university policy, first time offences are going to be treated a lot less seriously than second time offences. You may have to resit the essay, or be awarded a mark of 0 for it. I doubt your degree is in danger, but you could get a 0 for the module at worst.
It's not worth saying you never worked together because then they will start looking at CCTV and computer login times and build a case against you.
Common punishments include: a warning.
A resit capped at 40%
Failure of the assessed piece.
Failure of the module with a reset capped at 40%
Failure on the module (no resit)
Original post by dimooj

But what does Myplace say? That’s the key.
From the Uni of Strathclyde booklet...

If you are suspected of plagiarizing, you will be called to a meeting with your Head of Department and asked to explain any similarities between your work and that identified as the possible source of material that you may have used without proper acknowledgement. If the Head of Department concludes that you are guilty of plagiarism, collusion or copying, you will be asked if there are any mitigating circumstances. After consideration of all the facts of the case, the Head of Department has the authority to refer you to the Centre for Academic Practice and Learning Enhancement for assistance with academic writing, and/or to reduce marks for poor scholarship (including reducing marks to zero), or to require you to repeat the assignment or class, or to decide that you cannot progress on your course, or to refer your case to the Senate Discipline Committee. A note of the meeting will be taken and the outcome noted. You will have an opportunity to comment on the accuracy of this note which will be kept on your file.

Quick Reply

Latest